How to care for Nubuck leather boots?

groach1234

Well, I recently purchased a pair of Harkila mountain hunt gtx insulate boots and they are Nubuck leather so i was wondering how do you care fir nubuck leather? as the appearance of the leather would suggest dubins or the like might not be ideal.

George

Firstly, do Harkila recommend a product?
Most boot makers now use leathers which are tanalised using a chemical process to enhance water repellancy. Using products such as dubbin or neatsfoot oil will reduce the water reppellancy and eventually weaken such leather.
The other consideration is the goretex membrane. Using anything hydrocarbon based will knacker the membrane.
Look for something that is goretex approved and suitable for use with modern boots.
I use Ledergris from altberg and Zamberlans Hydrobloc cream, both of which are suitable for modern boots with breathable membranes.
I use the Hydrobloc on my zamberlan oregons which are nubuck witha goretex membrane. It's very easy to use and quickly absorbed, gives a waxy leather finish.
To maintain the original "dry" nubuck look you'd need to use a conditioner as opposed to a wax/cream but it won't last as long or provide as tough a moisture barrier.

Mountain Boots Trekking BOOTS Shoes Manufacturer - Zamberlan

Hydrobloc cream and conditioner available here
Footwear Accessories

Article on leather care from altberg
Bootcare - dubbins, polishes or waxes - we recommend Leder Gris boot waxas dubbins can damage modern leathers - Leder Gris is specially developed.

Bugger!

I use Ranapur and some stuff from RM Williams that i got when i bought some boots from them.

Sounds like i should be using stuff designed for goretex!

Ey up George,

My boots have a hard life but when I do get around to treating them to a spit and polish I just give them a good blathering in meindl sportwax then wipe off the excess. Seems to work for me.

I use neatsfoot oil on my lundhag syncros,tried some of the recomended stuff like nikiwax nubuck and suede proof and think its pure shite,only thing is the oil can alter the colour but didn't on mine as they are black,used it on some grey raichle nubuck boots and they did go darker but look fine.
Neil.

Nubuck's just brushed leather. If you like the furry feel you'll have to use a spray. But if you're not fussed, and want to treat the leather as best you can (as I'd have thought you would with good boots) use PURE neatsfoot oil or a good quality beeswax based saddle dressing. The finish will become smooth, and more durable with these waxy/oily coatings

Thanks for all the advice i will go for a goretex approved one for sure and lots to think about. Also Dave i shall be seeing you in early november.

George

Well, I recently purchased a pair of Harkila mountain hunt gtx insulate boots and they are Nubuck leather so i was wondering how do you care fir nubuck leather? as the appearance of the leather would suggest dubins or the like might not be ideal.

George
Hi nikwax do a spray for boots which is gore-tex approved might be worth a look.

I use Lundhags own wax on there boots. Smells a little like Stockholm Tar. A dab under the armpits in the summer helps keep the flys away as well.
Do's anybody still use dubbin. I have always thought that it was useless leather treatment. Used to use it on football boots in the middle of the last century. I read somewhere Dubbin should not be used on boots with membranes.

Last edited:
Back