Points on antlers

Sako 3006

Does any one know (and i'm sure they do) the full range of names for the antlers on red stsgs i.e.
6 Points
8 Points
10 Points
12 Points
14 Points
And so on
Thanks in advance.

hi,

not sure of names but this is as best i can do

6 Points = £300
8 Points = £500
10 Points = £700
12 Points = £900
14 Points = £1000
:rofl:

Previously posted on the forum:

From Whitehead's Encyclopedia of Deer ISBN 1 85310 362 4

Royal - A 12 pointed stags head with all its RIGHTS (BROW, BAY and TRAY) and three points on top in the form of a cup or crown, which technically should be large enough to hold a glass of wine, is a true royal.
Occasionally, in the past it would appear that a head of ten points (5+5) was also refered to as a royal, whilst a double royal denoted 20 points and a triple royal 30 points.
The royal tine was also referred to as the fifth point of a deers horn.

Imperial - A name sometimes given to a Red Deer head of 14 points - but there seem to be no justification for it. see also Monarch.

Monarch - A term sometimes used - but without any justification - to describe a 14 pointer

Brow - The lower or first tine above the coronet.

Bay - The second tine of a deer's antler, used mainly for those of the genus Cervus. Also spelt BEAS, BEZ, BIZ-ANTLER.

Tray - The third tine or point of an antler. Also spelt TREY or TREZ

found this link whilst trying to show off and name them all ha ha
heres the link i gave up looking seems as only 12/14/16 or more have real names apart from spikers...
not a bad read

Wildlifeonline - Questions & Answers - Deer

A mature Red stag may well have 12 to 15 branches (called tines or points) to his antlers and stags are often named according to the number of these points. Deer with their first set of short, simple, unbranched antlers are referred to as prickets (see left). Over subsequent years, the antlers should become progressively larger and branched (up until the stag is about 10 years old, after which the number of tines starts to decline). A Red deer with 12 points (six per antler) to his antler is called a Royal stag, while 14 points make an Imperial stag and an animal with 16 points or more is referred to as a Monarch. In his article for South Coast Today (a Massachusetts news and current affairs website), outdoor writer Marc Folco describes how hunters speak in terms of “pointers”. Mr Folco explains that a deer with five tines each side is a five-pointer, while one with six either side is a six-pointer. In cases where the antlers are asymmetrical (i.e. different number of tines each side), the two values are given separated by an “X” – thus, a deer with six tines on one antler and five on the other is a “6 X 5”, rather than an 11-pointer. In Fallow bucks, the palmation extends with subsequent antler sets as do the number of points, called spellers in this species.

Good link, thanks.

In his article for South Coast Today (a Massachusetts news and current affairs website), outdoor writer Marc Folco describes how hunters speak in terms of “pointers”. Mr Folco explains that a deer with five tines each side is a five-pointer..............

Do you think that might be USA specific? I've never heard of UK deer (certainly here in the SW) being referred to other than by the total number of tines.

knobber, spiker, sub-royal, royal then going back a switch which have no locking tines but usually brows. Switch stags are the ones that are most likely to cause serious injury to other stags through piercing injuries. Most highland stages never get to royal heads and remain sub-royal until they go back.

Back