Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sika him here sika him there

sika him here sika him there

Hi,

Following up on my trip to Sd 2010 with Malc and John i saved this little one till last.
    On the thursday evening malc asked me what did i want to do tomorrow Friday.
    I said that due to his and johns generosity during our stay with him i had some money left for a nice beast. i said to him that any one will do but i would not decline a 6/8 pointer if i was lucky enough to be put in that situation.
    On the friday morning both Malc and I oh and of course Todd went stalking together.
    It was not long into the stalk which initially consisted of a track through the woods when we reached the lighter wooded areas. it was no more than 30 mins into the climb up hill untill we first heard the whistle, malc siad the deer was below us and if we walked round we should get a look at it as he tries to get back up into the hill. again a short walk later i.e 20 metres he whistled again,this time 100 yards or so directly to our front. Todd by now was on the scent and his leash was at full tension. Remarkable to see how they react, not a word but you can allbut see from his stature how far away the beast is that he smells. malc signals to wait and see what he does, as we wait again merely minutes i hear foot steps up the hill to our right.
    i signal to malc with waving hands and panting hes here just in there 40 feet away. i cant see a thing and the dog like clockwork has already signalled the position of the deer... i just couldnt get over it how the dog sensed it...
    both of us are waiting to see if the deer will show itself, then i see its white back end, i tap malc and point to its location. he has not seen it, he signals sticks up and rifle ready. we watch for 2/3minute and nothing, he says to go to my right a meter or so and see if i can see it through the trees. Nothing, but then i spy back to my origional spot and there is his head, Malc also sees it now.i get into position pause magnification down on scope to 6, i see the head looking right at us still as you like nothing stirring he moves two feet forward and bang its over, i was stood there in a world of my own slow motion and all next thing reality kicks in Malcs shouting reload frank he might get up. twenty seconds thirty nothing i start to relax. Todd is going bonkers by now he knows whats about to happen. off he goes two small yelps then bark bark bark.... malc looks at me, i am there but i may as well have been in heaven, ya got him down like a sack mate i was delighted. hand shook pats on back and off we went. normal follow up was done etc and back to the larder a nice 6 pointer. i dont know why but he was my first ever deer that i didnt take a picture of in situ, i dont know if it was the rush the stalk or what but thats life the memory is there in my head . here is his picture and me with todd.

i know i have said it before but here it is again, Malcolm your a gent Thanks..

Attachment 2983Attachment 2982
    Last edited by centralbeltstalker; 14-10-2010 at 21:55. Reason: grammer

Thanks mate. A good read and glad you enjoyed yourself.

Nice one Frank, can still see it all in my minds eye now. The tension was certainly there on that very short stalk. But sometimes you get lucky!! and we were in the right place at the right time.

As I told everyone in the group, there are only two types of deer in this environment, "Quick ones, and dead ones"

ATB

Sikamalc

nice one, welldone

Well done Frank, nice write up, one to remember.

Your feet back on the ground yet? I think you started floating with excitement about Wednesday evening

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Nice one Frank, can still see it all in my minds eye now. But sometimes you get lucky!!
    ATB

Sikamalc

i did three times ha ha

thanks again

f.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Well done Frank, nice write up, one to remember.

Your feet back on the ground yet? I think you started floating with excitement about Wednesday evening

John

headache gone and stag from yours course i was happy ha ha

Good write up Frank mate. The tension was there in the story just like when you told it in Scotland.

I can see someone getting their name down for next years event.

wadas

Quote Originally Posted by wadashot View Post
    Good write up Frank mate. The tension was there in the story just like when you told it in Scotland.

I can see someone getting their name down for next years event.

wadas
    ha ha

does that mean i am in the cliché now ha ha
    only joking never met more friendly bunch

will see how funds prevail mate

f,