Thread: Getting Started?

Getting Started?

Having seen some of the professional mounts on here just lately I must say that I find this business quite fascinating. I don't really do the trophy hunting thing myself, although I do shoot many medal heads each year. I'd love to have a go at mounting some of them just out of interest and for the 'challenge' it would present to me. I have a freezer with about 10 medal Muntjac heads in at present which I normally boil out and sell on Evilbay.
    So, where do I begin?
    I have an endless supply of dead things but no idea where to start. Books? DVD's? Instruction?
    Any suggestions welcomed!
    MS

Have a look at www.snowdoniasupplies.co.uk

I also bought a few videos from the states. Just surf the web there are plenty of sites, mainly in the states but its the same thing really.

Salmo

^ just what I was going to say as a starting block, or take a taxidermy course if you're that keen

MS, If you fancy doing a roe I have a kit somewhere that I bought a couple of years ago but never got round to doing. I think it came with all the bits and pieces. The chemicals may have a shelf life so might be out of date. I'll dig it out. I think I paid 60 for it. If I recall, the instructions were a bit vague and I borrowed a video but it was the tenth copy of the tenth copy so didn't help! JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    MS, If you fancy doing a roe I have a kit somewhere that I bought a couple of years ago but never got round to doing. I think it came with all the bits and pieces. The chemicals may have a shelf life so might be out of date. I'll dig it out. I think I paid 60 for it. If I recall, the instructions were a bit vague and I borrowed a video but it was the tenth copy of the tenth copy so didn't help! JC
    Cheers JC. Sounds good. Good excuse to meet up for a chat too!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Cheers JC. Sounds good. Good excuse to meet up for a chat too!
    MS
    Thats true but it does mean that I will have to enter the hostile environment which is the box room off my office to look for it! For three years I have been throwing stuff in there and slamming the door! I'll take on the challenge later today and let you know. JC