Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1/2 day stalk - would morning or evening be best?

1/2 day stalk - would morning or evening be best?

Just looking at booking a 1/2 day stalk and was wondering if either a morning or evening stalk would have significantly more chances over the other?

Cheers,
    Oly

Personally I prefer morning as it catches them before they slink off.
    In the evening they might not come out till very late.

Just my opinion.

Out of the 4 deer i have shot 2 have been in the morning and 2 in the evening so its 50/50 its mainly about luck oly.

ATB
    Dave

Dave, have they all been in Staffs?

Should have also added - we will be after either Fallow, but most probably Reds

It does depend on a number of factors mate by my prefrence is AM if you get a runner then finding the beast is easier with the light (much easier) and also you can stalk until your ready to finish as opposed to the night when your finishing time is pre determined

Quote Originally Posted by Dick darstardly View Post
    ...also you can stalk until your ready to finish as opposed to the night when your finishing time is pre determined
    That has crossed my mind...

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I would always choose to stalk in the morning over the evening. With evening you're chasing daylight and will, inevitably, get to a point where it is no longer advisable to take the shot. Even if you hit the animal you run the risk of losing it in the gloaming.

Apart from that, I still get a kick from being out before it's light and seeing the light change to the point where, rather than just shapes, you can start to discern colour. In the evening I always feel the pressure as the light fades.

Each to their own though.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I prefer mornings. You can walk around looking for deer. In the evening, it generally seems to be sitting up waiting for the deer to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I would always choose to stalk in the morning over the evening. With evening you're chasing daylight and will, inevitably, get to a point where it is no longer advisable to take the shot. Even if you hit the animal you run the risk of losing it in the gloaming.

Apart from that, I still get a kick from being out before it's light and seeing the light change to the point where, rather than just shapes, you can start to discern colour. In the evening I always feel the pressure as the light fades.

Each to their own though.

willie_gunn
    i agree, if its marginal light wise in the morning you can wait. also less chance of people being about, particularly in summer

i always like the mornings , i like to think i catch the buggers half asleep !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.