View Poll Results: What size enclosure do you class as "canned"?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would not hunt in less than 100 acres

5 17.86%
  • I would not hunt in less than 500 acres

0 0%
  • I would not hunt in less than 1000 acres

2 7.14%
  • I would not hunt in less than 10,000 acres

2 7.14%
  • I would not hunt in less than 50,000 acres

3 10.71%
  • I would not hunt in less than 100,000 acres

2 7.14%
  • I have no issues with any form of canned hunting

11 39.29%
  • Itís all canned hunting and not for me

3 10.71%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canned hunting poll

Canned hunting poll

The phrase "canned hunting" is a dirty phrase to many hunters. There's something unsporting and seedy about it. A pastime undertaken by wealthy hunters probably carrying a few too many pounds around the waistline and not fit enough to hunt fair chase seems to be a pretty common stereotype. With many participants seemingly only interested in the trophy head. It's something that is often looked down upon by many. It's not all like that though.

The thing is, many people hunt deer parks. And most of the hunting available in South Africa is on game reserves that are ultimately fenced in. While not wanting to debate the ethics of canned hunting (It's been done to death) I am interested to see what people find as an acceptable sized "pen". Would you refuse to hunt a deer park tat is less than 100 acres in size but feel OK hunting on a game farm in South Africa which measured over 100,000 acres plus? Or is it all acceptable? Or all unacceptable?

Your thoughts (And votes) please......

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    I am interested to see what people find as an acceptable sized "pen". Would you refuse to hunt a deer park tat is less than 100 acres in size but feel OK hunting on a game farm in South Africa which measured over 100,000 acres plus? Or is it all acceptable? Or all unacceptable?

Your thoughts (And votes) please......
    the outcome of this will be interesting,maybe you should add the option of "free shooting in deer parks" as Iam sure not one person if there being toally honest would refuse free shooting no matter what size the park.
    so i will start with yout good self seeing you champion the cause of fair chase.
    would you shoot deer in a deer park for free ??? honest answer please
    I have answered your poll and i dont mind telling the truth "I have no issues with shooting in parks of any size"
    Last edited by long shot; 15-10-2010 at 18:14.

I'm not sure I can answer the question as asked.

Depends on the fish, depends on the barrel.

I wouldn't shoot a tame animal and call it hunting, but I would cull an animal on a reasonable request.

That's enough of a position on the matter for me.

I think the thing to remember is that many places around the world have 'canned' deer populations - the UK for one, as we are an island. But there are some pretty small islands around the globe with deer populations that people shoot...which is no real difference to a fenced system. At the end of the day a certain amount of sport is a must, along with an appropriately managed population.

Quote Originally Posted by long shot View Post
    Iam sure not one person if there being toally honest would refuse free shooting no matter what size the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by long shot View Post
    I said they charge £350 per stag shot,no shot no fee,which is the norm for traditional stag stalking and not getting your mate who you nhave paid mates rates to drop you off kill a stag and then drive in to collect it,thats not real Stag stalking,not just shooting
    *Sighs* Pete, money and morality don't go hand in hand. Your perception of others says more about your good self than that of the other people you wrongly believe think like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post

Depends on the fish, depends on the barrel.

I wouldn't shoot a tame animal and call it hunting, but I would cull an animal on a reasonable request.

That's enough of a position on the matter for me.
    I settled down to read right through this, but I came upon the reply above, says it all for me!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I once shot a Deer in a back garden of about a third of an acre, is that classed as a 'canned hunt'

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I once shot a Deer in a back garden of about a third of an acre, is that classed as a 'canned hunt'

I'm afraid so Mr McC, the high priest will be along shortly to name penance.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Eh? No. If it got in, it can get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    Like all polls there are loads more variables than the 10 available options allowed with the forum software. And to be honest if you started listing them all I reckon you'd have fallen asleep by number 11 anyway.

But forget about culling for a reasonable reason for now.