Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra pro hunter

Sierra pro hunter

6.5x55 i have bought some sierra pro hunter 120 gr spitzer and have some h4350 powder has any body got any loading data for this. Hodgon only show loading for120gr nos bt

I was using 45.5 grains with the Speer 120 grain so I would suggest you try around 43.0 grains and work up from there. Hope that helps.

Hmmm just checked in my Hodgdons #26 manual and they just list bullet weights and for the 120 Grain in the 6.5x55 they say:-

Start 44.0 H4350
    Max 47.0 H4350.

There you go.

Thanks Brithunter . pendle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I was using 45.5 grains with the Speer 120 grain so I would suggest you try around 43.0 grains and work up from there. Hope that helps.

Hmmm just checked in my Hodgdons #26 manual and they just list bullet weights and for the 120 Grain in the 6.5x55 they say:-

Start 44.0 H4350
    Max 47.0 H4350.

There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by pendle View Post
    6.5x55 i have bought some sierra pro hunter 120 gr spitzer and have some h4350 powder has any body got any loading data for this. Hodgon only show loading for120gr nos bt
    Generally speaking, 120 grain bullet is a 120 grain bullet. What is it about this basic bit of physics that eludes so many reloaders?? ~Muir

Generally speaking I would agree with Muir but some loading guides give specific and different min and max loads for same weight of bullet where configuration of bullet is different. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_...deEdition8.pdf

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Generally speaking I would agree with Muir but some loading guides give specific and different min and max loads for same weight of bullet where configuration of bullet is different. Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_...deEdition8.pdf

Bob
    Agreed, they do. That's why I said "generally". Still, when you compare the data and realize that you should be starting at 5% below minimum and work up with all new bullet/load combos anyhow, you are still safe to go by weight alone. ~Muir

I agree with you there Bob as always best to err on the side of caution and ask before you reload something new. As you quite rightly say generally it is ok. Im no expert but realise a bullet of a same weight can vary from brand to brand....such at a boat tail, flat base , flat base with exposed core etc...all of which will have an effect on pressure if only marginal. Ok might not seem much to a more experienced reloader but things like this only add to the confusion when starting out. Confusion equates to frustration/ tiredness and mistakes which could result in an accident.
    I have reloaded for a while now but still come here to ask, as with my thread today. I also agree with what you are saying Muir about the 5% but I am sure you will have had similar questions arise when you started reloading as we all will from time to time still.

Regards

Pete

Maybe you can shed some light on my post re 6.5 loads I posted today ?
    Last edited by chickenman; 16-10-2010 at 14:39.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    ....but realise a bullet of a same weight can vary from brand to brand....such at a boat tail, flat base , flat base with exposed core etc...all of which will have an effect on pressure if only marginal.......
    Pete. What is different from manufacturer to manufacturer is the nominal diameter of the bullets. Some will be bigger than others and some will have more consistent diameters. The profile of the base has no effect on the pressure. Rgds JCS

Bit confused there as I have been told this by two different guys, one is a leading importer and shooter the other I believe was an olympic shooter. Both told me that a lead base will deform upwards as the surface of the lead will soften and pe pushed into the body of the bullet as it leaves the case..which is different than a copper base which doesnt deform.Also there is more volume with different bullet bases..ie boat tail as opposed to flat hence a pressure difference between the various bullets. Doesn't a decreased volume effect pressure? That with nominal diameter as you say , along with seating and various powders types and loads all have different effects, wouldnt you agree?

I can also see the sense in what you are saying too...as a time served plumber i know about pressure being equal in all directions in a vessel...and a bullet case is merely a vessel...be interesting to find the exact answer as been told two different opinions now.

Regards

Pete

Just been looking on the net and looked at Vihtavouris information for reloaders and it qoutes in the section headed pressure.

Not every bullet of a given diameter and weight will produce alike pressure.
    Last edited by chickenman; 16-10-2010 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Generally speaking, 120 grain bullet is a 120 grain bullet. What is it about this basic bit of physics that eludes so many reloaders?? ~Muir
    Thanks to every one that has given advice on here due to me being new to reloading and lets forget the unhelpful comments caution and saftey are paramount in loading and shooting

Pendle