Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A stonking perthshire red

A stonking perthshire red

Just got back from an awesome day in the perthshire hills in glen lyon.

We set off up a high hill and climbed like billyo. Once we had launched up to about 700m we slowed and started spying. The stalker spotted a good stag and we tried for it, in the process we winded a bit of the hill we could have tried for so we had taken a bit of a gamble. Sadly a phanton hind popped her head up at the wrong moment and we were screwed.

It was a bit of an odd day all round with only a very limited rut under way and still a few big herds of stags roaming the hills over the march. A lot of chat about the hinds not ovulating due to the poor winter.

The stalker was getting very flighty about saving a blank having been up for 2 or 3 beasts. We walked some miles and walkers seemed to have cleared a lot of the ground despite signs warning them off. We climbed the western munro and circled around the back to try and catch a stag on the march. We closed round the corner and the stalker spoted a beast, the relief in his eyes was clear and we crawled forward but the curvature of the hill meant we were almost on top of the stag and couldn't see it. A young stag from the herd started to close from a distance and was getting curious because he could see us but wasn't sure. The stalker was keen to 'close the deal so he kneeled up and told me to shoot the beast off his shoulder. With some trepidation I steadied myself only to feel cramp kicking in in my legs I steadied and the stag walked into view. Bang, thump and the stag staggered down the hill a bit and collapsed, it did not expire immediately so i took a second shot and it dropped to a neck shot. It turned out that the first shot had just missed the front of the heart and it would have bled out quickly so I didn't feel too bad about taking a slight risk.

Pics below, stunning views and a big black beast at 15St 5lb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3261.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	297.9 KB 
ID:	2993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA140771.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	2992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3265a.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	640.5 KB 
ID:	2994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3266.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	396.5 KB 
ID:	2995

nice writeup and stunning pictures glad you got him in the end,wayne

Jinga. Grace and I were in photo 4 at about 9am this morning. We went across to Roro and spied to the north where you got your stag. We could see a good group of stags well out, but not the 3-400 stags I have seen in years gone by. The glen was alive with roaring and stalkers this morning. Photo 1 is a view I have photographed myself as I walked to the top of Cairn Gorm. Rgds JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 15-10-2010 at 20:48. Reason: more words

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Jinga. Grace and I were in photo 4 at about 9am this morning. We went across to Roro and spied to the north where you got your stag. The glen was alive with roaring and stalkers this morning. Rgds JCS
    To be fair it was yesterday when it all happened. The herd of 40 stags seemed desperate to re-occupy the ground as we left. I suggested waiting for a second in ambush. It would have been simple as the wind was ideal but it was 4.30 and the hill was v steep and 2 stags would have been hard graft to extract.

Jinga Great write up and photos. Did you have a professional photographer with you - LOL

Thanks for comments on my write up- almost identical situations with the second shot.

Andy

Nice write up Jinga and stunning photographs. I am off to Glen Lyon in the morning for the last three days at the stags. I will be stalking Roro once more and I thought the pictures were somewhat familiar. I am saddened somewhat to hear of hill walkers affecting your day. Sadly, this happened to me last year and given that it is the schools half term break I rather gather I may experience their presence. Hey ho though, that's stalking.

Hopefully I will have some nice pictures of my stalking to share with you all.

Awesome Stag Jinga, I know how you must feel its a very special feeling up there...

ATB

Alex

Hi Jinga, I stalk in the same area but a bit further west than you can confirm its been a strange rut only really got going
    and the season all most finished, the latest I have ever seen it in forty odd years of stalking, have caught up on numbers
    a bit in the last few days but looks as though we will be down a bit on our cull figure this year.

nice, well done

Thanks guys, am off further north next week for 2 days at coulin with my father, his first time at the stags so fingers crossed for a good couple of days. ANyone heard how the rut is up there?