Thread: Munti Hide

Munti Hide

Just skinned a Munti and thought it would be nice to keep the hide. I dont know if I have done right but I salted it and wrapped it hait out. I have tanning solution...think its A tan, would that be ok? But first how do I get all the fat,meat and crud off the hide, cant be bothered doing it by hand as such, are there any solutions I can buy to soak it in????

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Just skinned a Munti and thought it would be nice to keep the hide. I dont know if I have done right but I salted it and wrapped it hait out. I have tanning solution...think its A tan, would that be ok? But first how do I get all the fat,meat and crud off the hide, cant be bothered doing it by hand as such, are there any solutions I can buy to soak it in????

Pete
    In a word NO! take a look here.- Diesel Tanning?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    In a word NO! take a look here.- Diesel Tanning?
    Ahh yes! Just had a look back at that thread. Still haven't got around to trying it yet!
    Whatever happened to 'The Mole'?
    Seems to have gone 'underground' these days!
    MS

Just seen a guy on utube doing it with a jet washer, I have done boiled out skulls this way and looks like a good way to do the hides, I shall give it a whirl...

Used the jet washer today and worked a treat..got rid of all the fat and meat and down to a smooth surface.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Used the jet washer today and worked a treat..got rid of all the fat and meat and down to a smooth surface.
    What about the fur, any bold patches?

No bald patches, did a great job....I used the blade type jet , the one thats flat....did the hide in 5 mins....its my first one so I will have to see if I got through the membrane or so so I am told? If I havent then next time I will use same process and just take a few mins to do the membrane. If you try the same can you let me know how it goes please?

pete

The tanning solution I am using is white tan...do any of you know what other tanning solutions I can buy , a brush on type...something easy and no messy please.

Pete

Tanning a hide.
    You do know that every animal has just enough brains to save it's hide ?

Neil.