Thread: Help with 65 loads

Wink Help with 65 loads

Do any of you use Nolser Partition 125 grain in your 6.5 x 55 for a Tikka T3. I am going to load some up with N160 next week but the nearest bullet on Vihtavouris data is 123 grain so will start at the lowest load for that bullet..which is 41.5 grain then work up to 45.1 if all ok. Have any of you done this and was all ok??

At present I use Pro hunters in 120 grain and use 49 grain of N160, which from what I have seen on here is a grain or two more than many others use ( but within Vihtavuoris limits ) but I have had no problems with exessive pressure and works superb.

Also I bought an OAL gauge as I wanted to seat the bullet off the lands but found that the bullet ended up away from the lands..I am told it is because 6.5 x 55 calibre is deep throated due to the fact it can take 150 grain bullets too? Is this correct?

Any suggestions as to seating the bullet in this instance...should I just seat it the size of the round itself...ie 6.5 mm ( which I am told is a rule of thumb ) and work back into the case from there....hope all this makes sense.
    Last edited by chickenman; 16-10-2010 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    Do any of you use Nolser Partition 125 grain in your 6.5 x 55 for a Tikka T3. I am going to load some up with N160 next week but the nearest bullet on Vihtavouris data is 123 grain so will start at the lowest load for that bullet..which is 41.5 grain then work up to 45.1 if all ok. Have any of you done this and was all ok??

At present I use Pro hunters in 120 grain and use 49 grain of N160, which from what I have seen on here is a grain or two more than many others use ( but within Vihtavuoris limits ) but I have had no problems with exessive pressure and works superb.

Also I bought an OAL gauge as I wanted to seat the bullet off the lands but found that the bullet ended up away from the lands..I am told it is because 6.5 x 55 calibre is deep throated due to the fact it can take 150 grain bullets too? Is this correct?

Any suggestions as to seating the bullet in this instance...should I just seat it the size of the round itself...ie 6.5 mm ( which I am told is a rule of thumb ) and work back into the case from there....hope all this makes sense.
    As to the load. Start with Data for the next heavier bullet, say, a 129 grain load. It is the easy and safe way to go about getting a load for an unlisted bullet weight. Extrapolating data for a lighter bullet is dicey unless you are experienced, and then requires a bit of head scratching. (Tho the Lee manual has a section on these calculations using certain powders...)

As to seating depth, well! You're right. The 6.5 is throated for 160 grain bullets. WHen I can't seat to where I want, I start at having the bullet base at the neck/shoulder junction or recommended OAL for the bullet. Then I work my way outward. I like to err towards a lot of bullet grip by the neck.~Muir

Thanks for the reply Muir..is the reason you say go to the next heaviest bullet weight because if I did it the other way....that is a 125 bullet with a load worked out for a 123 bullet , then there would be two much volume in the case and so a risk of a huge increase in pressure?

Regards

Pete

Of course. Reloading is a matter of physics. If a load is developed for a 123 grain bullet and a 125 grain ius substituted, it would seem logical to expect a higher pressure from pushing that (even marginally) heavier bullet. Going with data for the next heavier bullet is always a safer bet.~Muir