Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikwax wash in proofer.

Nikwax wash in proofer.

Anyone use this stuff?, I was pleased to find Amazon flogging this in 5Ltr cans, 31.00 delivered!, those piddling little bottles you see in the outdoors type shops are around 9.00 each ..................... still got half a gallon left after washing all the jackets/bibs/trousers etc
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Yeah, i use it. Now i'll need to go find the 5ltr can!

Ditto if it's the Cotton Proofer you're referring to. They do a pre-proofing non-detergent product called Tech Wash which I'll try before I do the flecktarn stuff next time around.

An extra cost that I have found I don't need, I just clean out the soap drawer first, & wash all the gear with straight fairy liqiud, (not a dig at fairy's by the way!) run the extra rinse only program & chuck the proofer in, this time round has proved the best treatment yet.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I've just tried the cotton wash in proofing for the first time and was impressed. I got an army surplus windproof smock for a few quid. Good jacket, sensible pockets, fairly robust and works well for me so far so I'd certainly have another one. With the waterproofing I didn't expect it to repell more than a shower but I spent over an hour out in pretty heavy rain while the girlfriend was doing some salmon fishing and the smock didn't leak. I also sat in a high seat through about half an hour of rain and again no leaks.

I will be taking a look on Amazon now Finnbear, thanks for the heads up.

zinc chloride - This preparation can be used for clothing, tents, awnings and other textiles. ... Into 2 quarts water, mix 1/2 cup zinc chloride.from chemist . diy stores & the like.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    ...straight fairy liqiud...
    That, sir, is an oxymoron!
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    That, sir, is an oxymoron!
    outstanding
    I use the tech wash, and the re-proofing, both for cotton (tilley hat and poly-cotton trousers) and breathable fabrics (somehow i can get blood/mess everywhere) and find it works very well.
    ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Does that mean I need to buy more OXO'S?

Hmmm...DPM, with added beef flavour. If it rained it wouldn't keep you dry, but you would end up with a nice consomme. Best take a few crutons and a spoon on the off-chance.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\