No Boar

remington65

I have booked a nights boar shooting in southwest Scotland and have applied to Staffordshire Police for boar to added to my fac. I have sent proof of booking to them but they still refuse to add boar as there are none in southwest scotland. They know this for certain as Dunfrees and Galoway police have told them.
I told them to add boar anyway and if there are none there i won't shoot them.
Surely a little common sense from them would'nt go amiss.

atb
rem

Can't you get them to add "Any other legal quarry"?
I have been trying to get any other legal quarry for nearly a year now. They appear to be just stupid or power crazy.

Deako
It is on Colins ground but Staffs police know more about our sport than we do.

:rolleyes: If you are a BASC member, I would definately give them a bell and ask to speak to Mike Eveleigh in the Firearms dept.

I'm sure he would make a 'polite' phone call on your behalf to get this stupid situation resolved. Hope you get it all sorted and have a good time on the boar. :)

I think most authorities have stop issueing ' any other legal quarry' now, i know glouscestershire have.

steve

:rolleyes: If you are a BASC member, I would definately give them a bell and ask to speak to Mike Eveleigh in the Firearms dept.

I'm sure he would make a 'polite' phone call on your behalf to get this stupid situation resolved. Hope you get it all sorted and have a good time on the boar. :)
I am a member of BASC until the end of the year when i will be an ex member. They have managed to do a total of sod all for me over any other legal quarry and shooting vermin with larger cals. They appear to very lack lustrone they have your money. I have joined sacs and am awaiting a reply from them.
The nice lady at Staffs firearms is now on holiday untill thursday so i am not holding my breath for the return of my fac for next weekend when i should be going. The most annoying thing about this is that when i asked 6 months ago for wild boar to added so that i could take advantage of invitations or bookings at short notice they refused saying that when i proved a booking or invitation they would turn my ticket round by return of post. We all know they lie like a cheap chinese watch though.
Would it be advisable to go anyway no matter what happens with my ticket?

atb
rem

Yes mate, I would still go...Colin has a .270 with night scope that you can use.

As for BASC, try sending a PM to 'David BASC' on this very site, he is a most helpful bloke. Have fun. :)

I had a similar problem a few years ago with North Wales Police. It's very annoying when all you are doing is adding a legitimate quarry species to a weapon already held rather than requesting a new weapon. What was really stupid was that they refused the variation on the rifle but gave me another 100 rounds of .270 ammo so that I could hold some 180grn for boar!!!!

In the end I used the estate rifle.

Remington65&
D & G Firearms Dept classify boar as vermin. If you have vermin on your FAC problem solved. I have an email from the head of the Firearms Dept confirming this. If your local FEO would like proof that we have boar in D&G I can send him the photo's. Lets just hope in the anticipated cuts people like this are the first to go.

Good luck on your trip.

Lets just hope in the anticipated cuts people like this are the first to go.

Not a chance..these are exactly the type that will be kept - anyone who proves problematic or wishes to curtail our legal pursuits is bound to be kept.

Strathclyde don't even recognise boar! They claim that anything we consider boar are actually recently escaped domestic hairy pigs, honest. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when asking. It would seem they are taking advantage of some idiot Sheriff's decision that wild boar don't exist in the UK!
See here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4744538.stm

I did consult BASC at the time but all i got was a shrug of the shoulders (figurative).

there's photo's online of boar shot in D&G. C L has shot a fair few.

legally now there is case law that says there is no such thing as wild boar in scotland. A farmer who had 'wild boar' without a DWA License successfully won a case where an expert gave evidence saying that there was no such thing and the were just hairy pigs bred as a gimmick so to speak.

So can you shoot feral pigs under the terms of your ticket?

Arh.... someone beat me too that info lol.

Last edited:
Remington65&
D & G Firearms Dept classify boar as vermin. If you have vermin on your FAC problem solved. I have an email from the head of the Firearms Dept confirming this. If your local FEO would like proof that we have boar in D&G I can send him the photo's. Lets just hope in the anticipated cuts people like this are the first to go.

Good luck on your trip.

Thanks for the offer of the photo's and the wishes of luck.
Unless i take my flo to this area and show him the pigs and maybe rub his nose in the pig s-- i don't hold out much hope. In his eyes both myself and the gentleman i have booked with are downright lyers until proven differently. Another case of guillty until proven innocent.

Strathclyde are exactly the same. I recently asked about getting Wild Boar and Wild goat on my ticket only to be told there were none. I explained that I planned to take a few days at wild Boar down south and that I had been asked to manage a population of wild Goats and that I really needed my ticket to reflect the quarry in order that I did not fall foul of the conditions on my licence. The lassie was having none of it asking that I give them details of where I was going to shoot the wild Boar and also where I was going to shoot the Wild Goats.I could feel myself about to climb onto my soapbox and decided to bite my tongue.
I take the view that It's a reasonable request and where I go to shoot Goats or Boar is neither here nor there. Strathclyde are responsible for ensuring I meet the conditions of my license. The lassies are civilians I imagine taught to refuse everything as a first response. I was out on a remote scottish Island recently and was asked to despatch a cow that had broken its leg and was clearly suffering. I can just imagine the licensing lassie when I ask her to include "fallen stock" along with Goats and Boar. Oh............I can feel myself getting up on my soap box again.

Arseholes...if this is on Colins ground, then there certainly ARE boar there! I know 'cos I saw them in February!

from memory the so called boar in d & g are not classed as boar.....
i would ask those concerned to contact the said force for clarification....

from memory the so called boar in d & g are not classed as boar.....
i would ask those concerned to contact the said force for clarification....

"Hairy free-living pigs". The Scottish courts have decreed it so. If you want to shoot wild-boar you need to travel outwith the UK..... end of. :D

Remington65&
D & G Firearms Dept classify boar as vermin. If you have vermin on your FAC problem solved.

Doesn't matter, it is not what the authorities where you are shooting believe, it is the conditions on your FAC that matter, no matter where (in the UK) you shoot.
I found this out the hard way, I do not want to go through that again.

Neil. :)

Are there many cases where shooters have been prosecuted after having shot an animal not on their cert?

I don't mean where an inappropriate caliber was used.:)

I'd be tempted to just go and shoot anyway.

It is laughable but slightly worrying that someone from such an eminent position and also on the face of it a well qualified biologist should decree that there are no wild boar in the UK. Even though some UK boar have domestic pig in them there is no doubt whatsoever that some of the boar in the Forest of Dean are of pure Eastern European wild boar in origin so the man is plain wrong.

Also, what law will anyone have broken who shoots a wild boar with a legal weapon even if not specified in his conditions? I ask because I was told off the record by a FLO that breaching a Chief Constable's conditions was not actually breaking any law and the CPS are very unlikely to run with it. I've also had this confirmed by a friend who is a CPS Duty Solicitor. Can someone put me straight please?

In my response to the firearms enquiry I suggested that they save a load of money and do away with each constabulary administrating the same firearms laws a hundred different ways and centralise it.

Last edited:
Back