Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Bullets

Buying Bullets

When buying bullets be they complete or components ie expanding for reloading, is the shop supposed to put them on your certificate? I know they register the sale in their log but does that information go to the relevant police force of the purchaser. My reason for asking is I have had instances where a shop hasn't written the information on my certificate but others have. Therefore would it be possible to be in a situation when you come to renew your certificate the police turn round and say you dont need so many bullets on your cetificate as its clear you dont shoot as you havent purchased that many.....even though you may be buying a using hundreds in the lifetime of your certificate?

exactly that. If you want them put on then ask. If you are not bothered then they probably wont.

atb steve

Is it possible to enter the information yourself...if you dont realise till after you have left the shop...which is what happened to me last week?

Please don't start this old arguement all over again it's been done to death several times over.

Don't enter the information yourself.
    The simple answer is that some forces require dealers to make an entry on the certificate for the purchase of bullets, others are quite happy for the dealer to simply record it in his register.

Please don't start this old arguement all over again it's been done to death several times over

8 x 57 Im sorry I havent had the time to read every thread on here so bow to your superior wisdom in these matters

chickenman, sorry but it's one of those subjects that people seem to have very strong opinions on, and before you know it they are one anothers throats. I've simply tried to give the simple answer.

Bullets (noobs call them heads) when classed as non expanding, so 'hollow points', 'match' or anything that implies target purpose do not need to be put on your certificate and can be bought without a ticket. Expanding bullets which are described as 'expanding' or for 'Hunting' should be only sold to persons with the correct authorisation to buy expanding ammo although there's be issues recently where some police forces have said to supplying gun shops that they no longer need to write the transfer onto an individuals ticket.

A further complication is that although some forces class expanding bullets as a 'round' others do not. Always best to clarify with your issuing force.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    Bullets (noobs call them heads) when classed as non expanding, so 'hollow points', 'match' or anything that implies target purpose do not need to be put on your certificate and can be bought without a ticket. Expanding bullets which are described as 'expanding' or for 'Hunting' should be only sold to persons with the correct authorisation to buy expanding ammo although there's be issues recently where some police forces have said to supplying gun shops that they no longer need to write the transfer onto an individuals ticket.

A further complication is that although some forces class expanding bullets as a 'round' others do not. Always best to clarify with your issuing force.
    Is there no hard or fast rule on this - my force apparently does require expanding bullets to be entered onto my ticket, although the shop I just went to didn't know as they said it had all changed since 10 years ago when they used to do a lot of reloading!

Are stealthy changes being made to legislation on such things that we're not being made aware of? I notice primers now require a licence, yet I can still go and buy fireworks and exploding clay targets without a licence?!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Is there no hard or fast rule on this
    Actually, it seems the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) says that S5 bullets must be entered onto the purchaser's FAC by the vendor.

So there is a hard and fast rule.

No stealthy changes have caused this, I think. Just a stealthy retreat by the Home Office from their misinterpretation of the original law. The 202 HO Guidance clearly states that S5 bullets need not be entered onto the FAC - but this is not, as it has turned out, correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Actually, it seems the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended) says that S5 bullets must be entered onto the purchaser's FAC by the vendor.

So there is a hard and fast rule.

No stealthy changes have caused this, I think. Just a stealthy retreat by the Home Office from their misinterpretation of the original law. The 202 HO Guidance clearly states that S5 bullets need not be entered onto the FAC - but this is not, as it has turned out, correct.
    Section 1 and Section 5 are totally different though right? - Sorry I should have said Section 1 (243 rifle bullets) - Also have section 5 and I get the rules are a lot more strict, just seems weird considering you could make your own bullets with the right equipment!

Guess I do have to go home (to get my licence), then come back into town... to buy some inert peices of metail and lead