Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Stalking Directly Etiquette, if you please...

The Stalking Directly Etiquette, if you please...

In another thread, one in which a fellow was presenting the results of a recent stalk for stags in Scotland, I asked what the rifle used was, what the cartridge used was, and what the range at which the animal was shot was.

The first part of the response was "Really, Paul?"

Followed by not a sentence, but a list of answers my questions.

I responded with a question inquiring whether my questions were considered gauche at The Stalking Directory? I got no response to the query, so I thought I'd be even less 'retiring' and come right out and start a thread to get an answer.

Now Stateside, (and I know that means to some of you that I am therefore little less than a crass, uncouth, boor), one generally doesn't have to ask those questions. It is common that the hunter, when relating his story, includes the rifle, chambering, bullet and range in his narrative. If that's considered 'crass and boorish' here at TSD, I'd like someone to tell me. I'm seriously interested in ballistics. Also, I consider the tool used to be an important part of "The Story".

I find it ironic in this case that the animal taken was retrieved using what we in Alaska call a "four-wheeler", and what others in the US call "ATVs" (All-terrain Vehicle). THAT is considered extremely "crass" in much of the US and is even illegal in some places.

Anyway, being a 'foreigner' here, I'm just trying to find out some of the unwritten rules of etiquette that are generally observed here at TSD so I can avoid embarrrassing myself any more that I usually do.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by gitano; 17-10-2010 at 19:48.

Not embarrassing to ask I wouldnt think. As I have said before Admin have no issue with polite questions, or firm debate or opinion from anyone, as long as does not descend into name calling, threats etc or trolling which we have a zero tolerance to.

Sikamalc

Gitano,

I dont think you have been crass at all, it is natural to ask what rifle was being used and what calibre etc, but not everyone sees it as important as the actual stalk and the scenery. I know Monarch and he is a decent guy, perhaps his response came across the wrong way, but I am sure he would not have intentionally tried to offend you. You will also notice that he usually portrays his stories with an excellent photo
    As far as ATV's go for the use of extraction, then this is a luxury if you have the space and money to own one.

J

For me a write up that has bullet type speed weight etc really gets my goat as long as its a legal calibre then fine .

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Paul

I wouldn't worry. Some people are interested in kit, others are not, though I don't believe there are any rules (written or otherwise) to be followed on this.

Some of the reluctance to talk about kit might be the result of certain of our magazines over here, where sometimes the story gets swamped by the product placement, viz:

"I glassed the buck through my Zeissovski 8.5x42 Gold Ring Victory EL's and then placed the cross-hairs of my Schmidt & Kahles 2.5-20 Z6i behind its shoulder. The 125gr Barsler Ballistic Tip, helped on its way with 43.5gr of Hodgavouri N4380, sped the 276 yards from my .308 Hokalaser stainless synthetic and I heard the reassuring 'thunk' as it hit home"

That aside, I would expect any question about the facts of the stalk to be answered in an open and civil manner.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

+1 with williegun

Posts on forums can sometimes seem somewhat terse but are generally not meant that way, its just our own perception of the answer.

If asked what rifle, calibre, scope, underwear etc I was using when shooting I would reply with a list also.

I dont think there is an etiquette for forum use other than that detailed by sikamalc.

Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

jingzy - It's certainly possible that your interpretation is correct, but I think you can see the merits of my interpretation when I 1) got the response I did, and 2) got NO response to the follow up query.

Unlike you, I don't know Monarch, and his attitude toward a fellow countryman may very well be different than his attitude toward a 'foreigner'. I would like to point out that I did not bring Monarch's name into this thread because this wasn't an attempt to "get at" him. I genuinely want to know what folks' customs are when they tell "Hunting Stories". I wasn't offended, I assure you.

6pointer's comment illustrates clearly that there are indeed members of The Stalking Directory for whom mention of "bullet type, speed, weight, etc really gets their goat". Since the hunt in question was in Scotland, and for all I know Monarch is Scottish, and if 6pointer isn't Scottish, he at least lives there, and until I hear otherwise from Monarch, I think my interpretation of the 'attitude' of the response was likely "spot on". Let me repeat that I was not offended by it. It does however, yield a certain knowledge.

Paul

Well, let's not make more of this than needs to be.

If asked what rifle, calibre, scope, underwear etc I was using when shooting I would reply with a list also.
    Quite. However, I wouldn't precede it with "Really limulus?"

Some of the reluctance to talk about kit might be the result of certain of our magazines over here, where sometimes the story gets swamped by the product placement, viz:

"I glassed the buck through my Zeissovski 8.5x42 Gold Ring Victory EL's and then placed the cross-hairs of my Schmidt & Kahles 2.5-20 Z6i behind its shoulder. The 125gr Barsler Ballistic Tip, helped on its way with 43.5gr of Hodgavouri N4380, sped the 276 yards from my .308 Hokalaser stainless synthetic and I heard the reassuring 'thunk' as it hit home"
    Absolutely! I find that kind of stuff nauseating. And believe me, it is not restricted in any fashion to "over there". Maybe if I had used the term "kit" it might have been better received. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

And I'm not worried about actually breaking any forum rules. In this case, I'm more interested in "attitude" than "rules".

I got a several nice PMs, and one assholey one, so I'm pretty sure I understand the "etiquette" now. I stand 'educated'.

Thanks to ALL of you.
    Paul

I think the kit used is an essential part of any write up, probably not included
    but definately a list at the end.
    Preferably with velocity, and if handloaded powder / primer etc.

If you had preceded it with 'Really Limulus' I would have just let it run off my shoulders.

The reference to 'underwear etc' is my sense of humour....not a personal pop at you for asking the questions Paul

Can I point out I'm trying to help you understand 'etiquette', sometimes people type something that is taken completely out of context, Ive read the post to which you refer and I would probably have done what was done within that post i.e. not even comment on your request for clarification about what was meant by 'Really Paul?'

Now it just seems like you're getting all wound up about nothing in my opinion.

Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks