Thread: whats going worng. .223 loads

whats going worng. .223 loads

Hi guys. Now im sure you all know already this question as been asked on numerous occassions. Im new to reloading around 6 months now, and am trying different loads, ie powder bullet heads etc etc. I have a tikka t3 lite.223 in 1:8 twist and up until last night i was taking out foxes at an average 180 yards, and this was with a light head load, H4198 powder, and 55g speer HP. Changed my powder and bullet head and the results were not very good to say the least, missed everything. Does this happen?.... So, what reliable data "load" do any off you use with info i have given. I will be using H322, which was the powder i loaded with to try out, and 60gr v-max alos used. H335 OR H380 will be used as well, depending on bulled weight, i also use Lapua cases and was using standard rem 7 1/2 primers, going to change to CCI Magnum, is this a wise choice? . Sorry for going on a bit, but really confused why shots went to hell last night, scope wasn't knocked, stored same night after 1st success, oh and i will add this, the rifle got 1 pull through with the boresnake the folowing day. I dont think this would have effected the outcome, i do beleve it was down to the new load, you guys might ahve had a similiar experience. I never got a chance to check this load on paper, naively i thought the load would have been ok as the gun was shooting well with the 55gr.

Now I may be reading thsi wrong but it appears that you have changed the load and not tested it on targets and re-zeroed now I must have missed something .

mayfly

I suggest you go out and buy 3 boxes of factory ammo, then zero your rifle with the factory ammo and carry on pursuing foxes. As to reloading, a key part of load development is testing the load out and testing it again. Treat your quarry with respect and don't pursue it with an untested setup. Secondly, there are many approaches to cleaning rifles, but boresnakes is not one I would endorse.

It's good that you are being frank with your comments and questions in your post and I hope you do get positive feedback, however, I'd suggest you need someone local that can mentor you on an on-going basis. I have a friend that I turn to on a regular basis for coaching on reloading and shooting my rifles.

Good luck. JCS

I would be very happy with your first load. Hitting foxes at 180 yards seems pretty good to me, especially if you were hitting where you were aiming. I would stick with that load. Ed.

you need to check your load on paper. if its good then zero to that load.

all bullets in the same weight from different bullet companys can give different poi.

go back to your old load zero to it. and then test your new loads. once your happy. make some more up then zero to those

Hi there,

Well I do quite a bit of reloading for the .223 so I'll stick my oar in quickly. Judging from what you've said and from what I've quickly gleaned from my assorted reloading manual's I would suggest that your probably shooting low with the 60 gr v-max's as H322 will in a max load only shift at 3000fps ish depending on barrel's, time of day, position of the moon and so forth.... but your 55gr with h4198 should be doing 100-200 fps more. But your only talking a few inches at 100 yards the other thing is a poi change, my Tikka shoot's about 3-4 inches right if I use 69gr matchking's or 75gr A-max's than my 55gr factory ammo and I do load some 60gr v-max's as well they shoot to the left??? go figure, definately check your load on paper before you bin it. But the other thing is maybe your powder, I only use Varget as my .223 powder now as it shoot's everything stupidly accurate maybe not as fast as some other's but good enough for cottontail an charlie. If your going to use either H335 or h380 I would recommed H335 with a 55gr head from previous experience, but your rifle might differ. Hope that helps a little.

Snag

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    mayfly

I suggest you go out and buy 3 boxes of factory ammo, then zero your rifle with the factory ammo and carry on pursuing foxes. As to reloading, a key part of load development is testing the load out and testing it again. Treat your quarry with respect and don't pursue it with an untested setup. Secondly, there are many approaches to cleaning rifles, but boresnakes is not one I would endorse.

It's good that you are being frank with your comments and questions in your post and I hope you do get positive feedback, however, I'd suggest you need someone local that can mentor you on an on-going basis. I have a friend that I turn to on a regular basis for coaching on reloading and shooting my rifles.

Good luck. JCS
    Spot on, no disrespect mate but it sounds like you are running before you can walk. Learn the subject, learn the rifle, learn the fieldcraft and then dabble in reloading if you feel the need. Considering that you are using a .223 which is one of the most inherantly accurate calibres going and also one of the cheapest and easiest to feed with readily available, quality factory ammo I wouldn't even bother going to the hassle of reloading for it. Best wishes, JC

Quote Originally Posted by Snagman View Post
    Hi there,

Well I do quite a bit of reloading for the .223 so I'll stick my oar in quickly. Judging from what you've said and from what I've quickly gleaned from my assorted reloading manual's I would suggest that your probably shooting low with the 60 gr v-max's as H322 will in a max load only shift at 3000fps ish depending on barrel's, time of day, position of the moon and so forth.... but your 55gr with h4198 should be doing 100-200 fps more. But your only talking a few inches at 100 yards the other thing is a poi change, my Tikka shoot's about 3-4 inches right if I use 69gr matchking's or 75gr A-max's than my 55gr factory ammo and I do load some 60gr v-max's as well they shoot to the left??? go figure, definately check your load on paper before you bin it. But the other thing is maybe your powder, I only use Varget as my .223 powder now as it shoot's everything stupidly accurate maybe not as fast as some other's but good enough for cottontail an charlie. If your going to use either H335 or h380 I would recommed H335 with a 55gr head from previous experience, but your rifle might differ. Hope that helps a little.

Snag
    Thats exactly what was happening, went out yesterday and everything you said was true. THnaks for all info guys.