What dogs are you using?

scotsgun

I thought it may be interesting to find out what dogs you're using and their strengths/weaknesses.

I mainly use a Chesapeake Bay retriever for my wildfowling and rough shooting.
CIMG0586.jpg

I bought a border terrier with the intention of training him for deer tracking but he's actually being outclassed by a rescue Chesapeake bitch that i recently took in. She has a phenominal nose, is soft natured and quiet (doesn't whine, whimper, etc) Time will tell how successful i am at training her.
CIMG0576.jpg

CIMG0582.jpg

Dogs

I use a lab for tracking to be honest he is a good lad, he can be a little to independant for my liking but I beleive that is suposed to be a good trait in a deer dog!
P1010035.jpg

I have only once had to use him and it was on this little scab here about this time last year It was shot through the heart and what was left of the heart was sticking out of the exit wound. It stil managed to run 90m it went down hill towards watter then turned and went back up after the visable blood trail ran out the dog went straight to him in heavy foliage in less than 60 seconds.

Dave

Dave

well this could be an interesting post
i will try and get pics of mine and the O/H dogs all in one pic if the wide angle lense is wide enough
just for a start does any one out there hav a print from the labrador man well known artist nigel hemming the print is called 'keepers finders' and a picture of to black labs released last year limited edition of 30
if you do please let me know

chessies

scotsgun,
that is not a chesapeake dog, that is a grizzly bear!

I am working on training my jack russel. he is a little t***. he will sit in my jeep until i make the shot and need him!

I have used my wildfowling dog a lab, in the past and she is ok. really for the short distance stuff she didn't need any training. she found deer quickly and easily.

swampy

muddydaisy.jpg

DSCF0356.jpg

Patterdale.....Sorry for cheesey photo!
Sadly most of my shooting is from seats, and therefor not many deer go missing, but he always has a go at finding them in the car to keep him interested. On walks he will let me know deer are present well before I can see them. But he is by no stretch of the imagination a stalking dog, but has found dead deer in ditches/undergrowth.
LPIC0901.jpg

He is in the back!!
Image043.jpg

that is not a chesapeake dog, that is a grizzly bear!

Whats the saying about dogs and their owners? I think its summit to do with looks!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont have a deer dog at this point but Im going to train a beautifull, sleek agile and patiant spanieldor!!!!!

nutty

Nutty,
after meeting you, i'd say that you'd have to get one of those British Bulldogs for similar looks to yourself. :D

scotsgun said:
Nutty,
after meeting you, i'd say that you'd have to get one of those British Bulldogs for similar looks to yourself. :D

scotsgun
you may be in trouble here :lol:

what dog have you

Quote of the day from a lady down the road
If your old man was as fit and good looking as his dog i would sh-g him
answer As hes small fat bald and 60 i think hes got no chance then,end of conversation i think

Nutty,
after meeting you, i'd say that you'd have to get one of those British Bulldogs for similar looks to yourself.

I didnt realise there was a mirror between you nd me but saying that we were near the fair ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D

stick that in yer pipe matey ;)

nutts

Well that was obvious Nutty - i thought you were one of the attractions!

Hey Nutty, you going to the show in perthshire this July?

Ah, next time you speak to paddlesdown - please ask him to reserve me one of those long tactical drag bags.

He promised to bring me one up, when chatrting to him at the BASC show.

I old one has had it.

Hopefully we'll meet there...i plan to ditch the wife and kid...do likewise and we'll have a pint, etc

Back