Thread: Brass Weight

Brass Weight

Today I cleaned, brushed, trimmed etc 70 brass cases for reloading.

Having read recent threads about weight of cases I decided to weigh them all to see what the difference in weight was between each.

All 70 cases were from federal factory ammo that has been fired once and were trimmed using my electric drill and trimmer to the same length.

The cases weigh at one extreme 10.98g and at the other extreme 11.36g

The average is about the 11.21 mark

What is an acceptable case weight difference to use when trying out loads? Is it 1g or 0.1g or 0.01g or does it not really matter at these weights?

cheers

David

You will probably drive yourself mad if you start worrying about the differences in weight between cases. If you're after deer rather than F Class bulls eyes it really doesn't matter. As long as the cases all bear the same headstamp, you're good to go.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    You will probably drive yourself mad if you start worrying about the differences in weight between cases. If you're after deer rather than F Class bulls eyes it really doesn't matter. As long as the cases all bear the same headstamp, you're good to go.
    I'll second that! Forget weighing cases for hunting rifles.~Muir

What about weighing the bullet heads and sorting ???

For `hunting` purposes do not bother, more error lies with the individual on the trigger.
    There is a bus load of one-hole rifles and loads but very few passengers capable of putting it together.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    What about weighing the bullet heads and sorting ???
    Shouldn't need to weigh bullets (not sure what 'heads' are other than Sailors toilets) I would be very supprised to find any significant difference in weight of bullets from any reputable manufacturer. If it gives you more confidence when working up a load then by all means weigh and sort cases but, as the other lads have said, for everyday shooting it makes no odds. I must have said it a hundred times but bullet seating depth is the main variable thing to concentrate on when handloading for accuracy. JC

Thanks everyone, I have sorted out the comparator and oal gauge and a new die for more accurate seating, I just read a few reports about brass weight and wondered if it really did matter or not. It would appear that for me it does not.

While it isn't adding to the subject, I would add my two-cents-worth to what Harry Mac and Muir posted.

And I would also add my rock to the pile for
    I must have said it a hundred times but bullet seating depth is the main variable thing to concentrate on when handloading for accuracy.
    Hopefully adding to the topic, you might look here A little about reloading .308 Win and a little about my view of reloading...... for some actual measurements on cases and how case weight truly relates to case capacity not based on speculation, but actual measurements.

Paul