Separating Guns and Ammo

scrun63

Morning All

I have 3 gun cabinets and doubt i can sneak another past my wife's eagle eyes. My ammo cabinet is getting rather full because i do some target shooting as well as stalking.

I am hoping to persuade the Police that by storing different calibre rounds with non compatible guns, ie .308 rounds with 7mm gun, and bolts stored in the third cabinet that they are stored safely.

Has anyone had any experience with this or can give any advice ? Logically i dont see any problem, but when has logic ever had anything to do with the law :D ?

I wait the horror stories :rolleyes:

Scrun

ammo seperation

hi scrun all my ammo is stored in a seperated lockable top part of my gun cabinets along with the bolts as per police regs
atb tom

Hmmm why not just buy a break down shotgun cabinet and just use it for ammo. I did just that and laid it length wise under the rifle cabinets. Now it stands upright and is shelved out. Just popped into the local fabricators and got them to cut sheet steel and weld in place. You can often pick up older cabinets which might not meet current firearms storage but are ideal for ammo. Plod cannot complain then ;).

I now have a couple converted like this and use it for ammo and if I thought it a good idea bolts.

Hmmm why not just buy a break down shotgun cabinet and just use it for ammo.

Great Minds :D - the 3rd gun cabinet is a shotgun breakdown one and i use it for ammo/bolts. The problem is I cant fit any more cabinets in the house - 3 is my max - hence I want to split ammo/guns between the cabinets.

Oh no mate - Plod can always complain :rofl: whether there's any justification is another matter:rolleyes:

Ps Brit - taken your advice re reloading manuals - just bought the Nosler 6. though I'm gona have to wait til chrissy to get my hands on it

hi scrun all my ammo is stored in a seperated lockable top part of my gun cabinets along with the bolts as per police regs
atb tom

Cheers Tom
One of mine has a shelf, but it's not lockable. I'm hoping the police will see sense - there's always a first time - though I have to say I have no complaints with Notts, but i just want to be aware of any probs people have had before so I can anticipate them

Atb Andrew

I never remove bolts unless cleaning and showing clear. This practice is why the bolt on the newly acquired .270 Majestic has a different number to the rifle someone obviously as the opposite combination somewhere. Luckily the head-space appears to be fine. The mis-match is one reason I passed on the rifle originally when looking for a nice Majestic. This time as I was already factoring a new barrel in the pricing it was not a concern.

The chance of mis-matching bolts and rifles is just too much to contemplate so the bolts stay in their proper homes the actions to which they are matched too.

The other option is to convert a solid walled cupboard. have seen this done and it makes lots of secure storage room.

I never remove bolts unless cleaning and showing clear. This practice is why the bolt on the newly acquired .270 Majestic has a different number to the rifle someone obviously as the opposite combination somewhere. Luckily the head-space appears to be fine. The mis-match is one reason I passed on the rifle originally when looking for a nice Majestic. This time as I was already factoring a new barrel in the pricing it was not a concern.

The chance of mis-matching bolts and rifles is just too much to contemplate so the bolts stay in their proper homes the actions to which they are matched too.
QUOTE]

Nottm police insist that bolts are kept separate from guns. And mixing up the bolts isn't a great problem, because all my guns are different calibres and makes, except two .308's, but their bolts aren't interchangeable

Morning All

I have 3 gun cabinets and doubt i can sneak another past my wife's eagle eyes. My ammo cabinet is getting rather full because i do some target shooting as well as stalking.

I am hoping to persuade the Police that by storing different calibre rounds with non compatible guns, ie .308 rounds with 7mm gun, and bolts stored in the third cabinet that they are stored safely.

Has anyone had any experience with this or can give any advice ? Logically i dont see any problem, but when has logic ever had anything to do with the law :D ?

I wait the horror stories :rolleyes:

Scrun

Have a chat with Mr Plod before he visits, ask him to tell you in earshot of your missus that you really should buy another nice big ammo cabinet!;)
She may be 'eagle eyed' but she shouldn't argue with the law!:p
MS:)

I've got two cabinets. I have a lockable compartment in one and keep my rifles and rifle ammo in that one but the bolts go in the other along with my shotgun ammo.

Have a chat with Mr Plod before he visits, ask him to tell you in earshot of your missus that you really should buy another nice big ammo cabinet!;)
She may be 'eagle eyed' but she shouldn't argue with the law!:p
MS:)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Nice try Monkey Spanner. But as i've been a copper myself she knows they are full of ******** so doubt i'd get it through on that basis. In reality she isn't the problem. I've got more than enough cabinets for guns (2) and ammo (1, shotgun breakdown size), but dont see the point in getting a fourth cabinet for ammo when i can fit it all in the existing cabinets albeit with mixing ammo and guns, but different calibres in different cabinets. I'm on 600 .308, 400 .303, 700 .22 plus bolts and the necessary reloading components so it's a bit of a squeeze and I doubt The Babylon would like me trying to close the cabinet with a sladge hammer :eek:

I've got two cabinets. I have a lockable compartment in one and keep my rifles and rifle ammo in that one but the bolts go in the other along with my shotgun ammo.

Cheers Paul, but i don't think i could fit all my ammo in a lockable top cabinet. I've got holdings at 600 .308, 400 .303, 700 .22 + reloading bits. And to get the lockable top i'd need to buy another cabinet which i'm trying to avoid

Back