Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle before or after DSC1

Rifle before or after DSC1

As im sure yous will know im new to the Deer scene .Ive myself ready for the step to buy a 308 ( as seen on thread which calibre ) .but am unsure of whether i have to purchase the rifle first or do my DSC1 first .having the DSC1 gives me a reason to own a 308 but dont want to pay for rifle etc do DSC1 to be turned down for FAC for 308..I ready own .22mag along with other shotguns so dont see any problems with owning a 308 but N.I wouldnt have much in the way of land for this calibre off rifle and shooting foxs alone i dont think would a good enough reason.
    Thanks Peter..

Speak to your DSC provider, I borrrowed his rifle to do the test prior to the cert coming through. Shows the weakness in the system though when you can do the test, before you stalk'
    Jim

If you can use an 'Estate Rifle' to do the course then definitly do that and buy your own rifle later if for no other reason than you will get to see and handle what the other candidates are using. Once you've seen what everyone else uses then just go out and buy a Sako anyway because they are the best! JC

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRED View Post
    As im sure yous will know im new to the Deer scene .Ive myself ready for the step to buy a 308 ( as seen on thread which calibre ) .but am unsure of whether i have to purchase the rifle first or do my DSC1 first .having the DSC1 gives me a reason to own a 308 but dont want to pay for rifle etc do DSC1 to be turned down for FAC for 308..I ready own .22mag along with other shotguns so dont see any problems with owning a 308 but N.I wouldnt have much in the way of land for this calibre off rifle and shooting foxs alone i dont think would a good enough reason.
    Thanks Peter..
    Peter, I don't think you'll find that having DSC1 in itself will give you the 'good reason' to possess the .308 you want. Have a look at the HO Guidance Chapter 13 for details of what criteria you will have to satisfy to achieve that, which will include having suitable land/quarry available either directly or via friends/commercial bookings. DSC1 is not officially even a requirement that licensing departments should be asking for - although I realise that the situation in N Ireland may be different. In fact SACS provided a good write up on it in the last magazine - see page 15 http://www.sacs.org.uk/Sacs/Current%20Magazine.pdf they appear to be quite active in your part of the world so it might be an idea to sign up with them.

Over to N.Ireland forum members for more localised info. and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    If you can use an 'Estate Rifle' to do the course then definitly do that and buy your own rifle later if for no other reason than you will get to see and handle what the other candidates are using. Once you've seen what everyone else uses then just go out and buy a Sako anyway because they are the best! JC
    Very good

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Peter, I don't think you'll find that having DSC1 in itself will give you the 'good reason' to possess the .308 you want. Have a look at the HO Guidance Chapter 13 for details of what criteria you will have to satisfy to achieve that, which will include having suitable land/quarry available either directly or via friends/commercial bookings. DSC1 is not officially even a requirement that licensing departments should be asking for - although I realise that the situation in N Ireland may be different. In fact SACS provided a good write up on it in the last magazine - see page 15 http://www.sacs.org.uk/Sacs/Current%20Magazine.pdf they appear to be quite active in your part of the world so it might be an idea to sign up with them.

Over to N.Ireland forum members for more localised info. and good luck.
    This is a worry to me now as the land i shoot may not be good enough for a 308.

I can only comment on my recent experiance getting my FAC for a .243......A previous FEO to mine had decided that my land (420 acres in a valley) wasnt suitable for anything other than airrifles and shotguns due to footpaths My FEO takes the view its all about the man pulling the trigger and footpaths whilst knowing they are there is important isnt a reason to turn down land for any particular calibre.

I wouldnt go offering them restrictions but can you maybe put up a few high seats and do the land check with the FEO? I found attending on my land check helped.

I'd have a chat with your FLO and tell him your dilemma. It would be best to do the course with your own rifle as you could shoot you DSC 1 test with it which will help you become familiar with it and give you the confidence that you could shoot a deer with it. You can get it fitted to you as well rather than be given someone elses rifle that probably doesn't fit or isn't zeroed to you either. He may authorise it on the proviso that you can't use it for deer until you have passed the DSC 1.
    Ohh! And another thing....

Get a Sako!

MS

Personnally i'd opt for the rifle offered by the course provider. I remember whilst doing my level 1 that there were a few guys who failed due to their rifles not being set up correctly. 1 guy was very inexperienced and had relied on the gundealer to correctly mount his scope on his rifle, etc The rifle was a rugger m77 i believe but he couldn't get it to shoot at all. It obviously wasn't his fault as a couple of guys tried with it and couldn't do anything with it. I later heard that he got an experienced friend to have a look, sourced the problem to scope and he subsequently passed the re-test. It cost him an addittional fee though and he had to travel a fair bit to re-test.
    Another was an old boy with a stutzen which was in a shocking state and a pecar scope that had seen better days. Looking through that scope was like looking through muddy water. He was offered the course co-ordinators gun on several occassions but repeatedly refused. His eyesight was also an issue as he was forever swapping between the 2 sets of glasses around his neck. I don't think he had more than 2 shots withing 4inches of the target. Stubborn.

If the course is with the BDS, they now have rifles intended specifically for those without. Mercury i believe and with decent optics. If someone else then you're likely to be shooting that rifle owned by the guy delivering the course. The rifle will be zero'd, he'll provide the ammo and all you have to do is get down behind it and shoot. Ammo will unlikely be more than say 1.50 a round and they guy will have spent the time and energy to ensure that it's a straight shooter - he's not going to want to coming back at him for failing with a duff shooter.

I actually find this quite disturbing that people can turn up to do a shooting test with so little experience and knowledge they should they pass be regarded highly due to having a bit of paper by the powers that be. Then armed with the nice stiff new nit of paper be deemed "trained" and "qualified" to hunt and shoot deer.

No wonder the world is in a state. It's gone to hell in a hand basket

Also it's not possible to properly zero a rifle for someone else.