2 black labs what to do?

keep the labs or not

• Total voters

steyr

someone whom i know (i thought i knew!!)has walked out on his wife and left her with a new born baby,a child of a former relationship and 2 lovely black labs (2 year olds) long story short...she cant cope with the labs,she is about to go back to work after maternity leave. we were tasked of dropping them off to someone last night who was supposed to take them for beating..a phone call this morning was could you please come and pick them up they are not what we want!! (Mrs steyr had told them if they changed their mind at any point to give her a ring)now then ...we already have a springer that is a pet/gun dog,a house dog that accompanies me around my Fields rough shooting.my springer gets on with these labs very well as we often doggy sat the labs.Ive taken these labs around with me shooting and to me i think there great,they are well behaved,pick up,etc,and do all that i ask of them.Mrs steyr is now very upset for the dogs and feels sorry for them not wanting them to be messed about anymore are thinking of keeping them to give them a good quality of life that they deserve,our house may be to small for the three dogs on a permanent basis so i was thinking of building a large kennel with a run, ide like to hear your thoughts/suggestions please...thanks in advance,,steyr.

I'm not in your position, I wish I was. If my good lady provided me with any inkling that I was allowed more than the two spaniels I have, I would snap them up! It sounds like you have the opportunity to get a couple of good dogs, that you already know and have spent time with, for a bargain. Get the kennel built and move them in. There is only one sight nicer than seeing a spaniel and lab working well together, and that's seeing two spaniels working together!!

I'm sure you'll make the right decision and I look forward to hearing about your future exploits with the dogs on the forum!!

Good luck.

Two ways of thinking about this situation.

If you and Mrs Steyr really wanted a kennel of two black labs you would already have them. So the question is would you be taking them cause you really want them or just to give them a good stable home. Two year old dogs are going to be with you for a long time. Realistically assess the dogs. If they are potential gundogs and they are of use to you start building the kennel. If not I would assist the owner to find what I would consider as good homes. Act in haste and repent at leisure is a fine saying.

thanks for the reply scottc,it is much appreciated and i shall keep all informed with pics ect....steyr.

Two ways of thinking about this situation.

If you and Mrs Steyr really wanted a kennel of two black labs you would already have them. So the question is would you be taking them cause you really want them or just to give them a good stable home. Two year old dogs are going to be with you for a long time. Realistically assess the dogs. If they are potential gun dogs and they are of use to you start building the kennel. If not I would assist the owner to find what I would consider as good homes. Act in haste and repent at leisure is a fine saying.
gazza thanks for your input on this as well. having a kennel with two black labs was never in our thoughts..until now. we both love these dogs and Mrs steyr was only trying to do best for the dogs (dogs first and foremost!) it was upsetting for her to leave them with the third party she vetted them all she could (more like interrogation!)and like i said she did say to them if it doesn't work to give her a call and fair play to them they did the next day! she knows full well what is entailed with bringing up labs involves shes had them all her life up until recently.it is a big commitment to take on. i really don't know what to do,as for the dogs they are fine for what i do i know this,and i think keeping them is the best thing to do..for the dogs and Mrs steyr!! our minds are spinning at the moment.when she comes in from work she will pick them up, but ime on nights so we will have little time to talk decisions,decisions.

If they are potential gun dogs/already working. Do you have the time to ensure that any remedial work/re-enforcement can be carried out on an individual basis? Do you basicly have time to keep three happy? If so then why hesitate.

I think if the dogs are rehomed then sadly the best way to do this is to split them up. Sound cruel but if kept together under new unknown owners the bond to each other will be far greater than the bond to the new master. I don't think it would be impossible mind just harder, I'd take a pair on.

How old is your spinger? I if he is under two then I don't think it would be fair to take the labs.

If I was in your position with my 11month old pup I wouldn't do it, but if she was two or three I'd jump at it! If they are happy with you now give it a trial period for a few months and see how it goes.

Good luck, any photo's?

Having just taken on another lab (now 2 labs and a cocker) I can only say that its an absolute pleasure having them around. The basics are already there (she's 12months) and shes now being introduced to shot game.
Hopefully she will be half as good as my 6 yo lab when it comes to retirement for her.

at 2yo at least you dont have all the probs you would get if they were pups,if they work well and are obedient you should have few probs.dogs adapt well to new situations,far better than humans.3 well trained dogs are no harder to look after than 1.your only real consideration is extra cost,food vets etc.i hope you make the right choice (ithink you already have,you just dont no it yet) and enjoy.all shooting is better when done with dogs:D

Hav you made up your mind in regards of the Labs
or do they still need a home

If they still need a home
Are they dog/bitches??
will they be happy to split them??
Just I told my mate about your dilema as he is looking for another dog to replace the one he has just lost and seems keen on the Idea of taking on a slightly older dog instead of a pup at this moment in time
so if available let us know and I can pass on the info
ATB

3 well trained dogs are no harder to look after than 1.your only real consideration is extra cost,food vets etc.... all shooting is better when done with dogs:D

Shooting with dogs is a completly different sport... I've spent the whole year without a dog as my pup's still growing and our old Weimaraner died very quickly from a blood infection in the intestines in April. It has just not been the same this year. :(

You'll still need the time to work three dogs independantly occasionaly though...

If they are potential gun dogs/already working. Do you have the time to ensure that any remedial work/re-enforcement can be carried out on an individual basis? Do you basicly have time to keep three happy? If so then why hesitate.

I think if the dogs are rehomed then sadly the best way to do this is to split them up. Sound cruel but if kept together under new unknown owners the bond to each other will be far greater than the bond to the new master. I don't think it would be impossible mind just harder, I'd take a pair on.

How old is your spinger? I if he is under two then I don't think it would be fair to take the labs.

If I was in your position with my 11month old pup I wouldn't do it, but if she was two or three I'd jump at it! If they are happy with you now give it a trial period for a few months and see how it goes.

Good luck, any photo's?
mobile 031.jpgmobile 029.jpgmobile 030.jpg
mobile 027.jpgmobile 028.jpgthe labs are 2 year old and are bitches,they have both been spayed. Mrs steyr has told me that in reality we don't have the time to take these on full time (basically what Gaza said...if we really wanted 2 labs we would have took them on already!) so we shall keep on helping to look after them until a new home is found,i also think you may be correct about splitting them up.as you say a new owner would have 100% attention so the search goes on...

Hav you made up your mind in regards of the Labs
or do they still need a home

If they still need a home
Are they dog/bitches??
will they be happy to split them??
Just I told my mate about your dilema as he is looking for another dog to replace the one he has just lost and seems keen on the Idea of taking on a slightly older dog instead of a pup at this moment in time
so if available let us know and I can pass on the info
ATB
hi stone,, i think its in there best interest to find them a new home with someone who has both the time and money to give them a stable new home,splitting them may not be so bad as its been said.i have posted photos of the labs and a bit more info...steyr.

Back