Cross Contamination For fly fisherman

widows son

View attachment 3077Fly fisherman your worried about a couple of deer laying on top of each other get a grip this is the real world .

This wasn't too long ago .

People in the picture have been removed to protect the identites .

Last edited:
Reminds me of the seperation tecnique of the fc ranger in the back of his pickup after a successful nights lamping :)

I'd certainly not be proud of that heap. It doesn't do the clean image of venison or the concept of the 'trained hunter' using best practice much good does it. :confused:

Having undertaken similar culls on Reds it is not an unusual photograph. However it would have helped I think if the carcasses had been laid out. Even though it was obviously fairly cold at the time, the heat underneath that pile might cause an issue :-|

Alex Ive been shooting Deer for many moons , the point being Best Practice is being flung about all over the place , with the advent of the computer we have all these web sites on Deer Stalking, Full of Amateurs, Beginners what every you call them , that all think best practice ,oh Ive got to follow it to the letter of the guides, Rubbish .

Pick out the bit with relevance to yourself and work to what you find practical not to what someone put in a guide, because thats exactly what it is a GUIDE nothing more or less .

If I was to spend all my time learning the Best Practice of this and that I'd never get away from doing courses on ATV, Argo, manual handling courses, personal lifting courses, first aid courses the ish, I want to go stalking not spend days filing bit of useless paper ,that will never give you the practical experience of the wood or the hill, what did all the older stalkers thats, the guys that started this years ago do, learned by others and by mistakes we've all made them thats the learning curve .

The problem we all have these days, mmm ,were all scared of someone criticizing us ,I couldn't care less what anyone says about me, sometimes, the truth hurts but its the truth .

This country is full of CCTV ,Risk Assessments, Health and Safety and yes we still have accidents why ,if all these things are put in place why do we still have accidents .
My theory because everyone is that up tight scared of failure and its consequences ,they forget about the other people around them doing the same thing all the training courses in the world cannot stop it .

Enjoy this while you have the health and breath to do so, don't be governed by a book it isn't law its a guide .

Sad photo, good job someone decided to implement Best Practice. Older chaps like me can continue to stalk by looking in the rear view mirror, but I hope the youngsters will be more enlightened and have a little more respect.

Not doubting your obvious experience WS and no offence intended, but in my opinion (if the opinion of a lowly amateur is worth anything) is that photo really isn't a flattering perspective of carcass handling by today's thinking.

I'm sure it has gone on/goes on and there were probably operational reasons for not at least laying them out on a plastic sheet instead, but like you say we live in a world of traceability, health and safety, hygiene regs now whether we like it or not - surely we should be encouraging the raising of standards rather than castigating poor flyingfisherman?

Admittedly us amateurs have the luxury of time on our hands but isn't it about having some pride about doing the best we can?

just my personal thoughts,

Alex

Alex Ive been shooting Deer for many moons , the point being Best Practice is being flung about all over the place , with the advent of the computer we have all these web sites on Deer Stalking, Full of Amateurs, Beginners what every you call them , that all think best practice ,oh Ive got to follow it to the letter of the guides, Rubbish .

Last edited:
View attachment 3077Fly fisherman your worried about a couple of deer laying on top of each other get a grip this is the real world .

This wasn't too long ago .

People in the picture have been removed to protect the identites .

Just out of interest, if you see no problem with the scene depicted in this photo why have you (or they) hidden their faces? JC

Alex may i add my bit to this that photo was taken only a couple of years ago long after Best Practice and in the picture we have an amature a FC ranger and a chap from the DCS this cull was done under the guide of BP and was a joint operation between the FC and the DCS. Some times the real world gets in the way of what we would like to do. But when you have a helicoptor cost 50 gran or so a day and he can only do a few lifts then you dont care about a few smelly cheap deer.:lol:

I dont see the problem in the number of deer taken. With Red Deer it is not that unusal to take a large number in one day with a team of guns.

Some years back we undertook a cull on the weest coast which roughly over 6 months we took 180+ between 7 to 8 rifles. If we had not taken the cull SNH would have. The historic cull was 200 head. Sometimes it is a job you just have to get on with, but due respect should also be shown for the deer you hunt, and perhaps the photo is not the best way to show respect and may give the impression of mass slaughter.

Whether you are an amateur, semi professional or professional manager of deer, respect needs to be shown for the deer. I would hope that any member of this site would show respect for what they hunt. This site promotes good safe and sensible practice whilst showing compansion and respect for all the beasts that we hunt.

To me if you do not show respect you are not a hunter, you are just someone with a rifle. Rules and regulations are here to stay, and good practice is part of it, so experienced stalkers should support this process, but I admit common sense needs to prevail.

Alex may i add my bit to this that photo was taken only a couple of years ago long after Best Practice and in the picture we have an amature a FC ranger and a chap from the DCS this cull was done under the guide of BP and was a joint operation between the FC and the DCS. Some times the real world gets in the way of what we would like to do. But when you have a helicoptor cost 50 gran or so a day and he can only do a few lifts then you dont care about a few smelly cheap deer.:lol:

Like I said, there were probably operational reasons which, now you have revealed them, go some way towards explaining why it was done that way... even if it does look like a foot and mouth funeral pyre!

One question though... If they 'didn't care' about their 'smelly cheap deer' then why did they bother recovering them at all?

Alex

If the helicopter cost £50,000 a day then the contract manager needs to do some shopping around. I think that you will find that around £900/hr is a bit more realistic for the type of aircraft used a couple of years ago by the DCS.

As far as the picture goes, and the implication that anyone who hasn't done this is a lowly amateur, many times I have been involved in collaberative wild culls and park culls which would have resulted in a similar or much bigger pile but the difference is that myself and my colleagues didn't have so little respect for ourselves, our profession or the deer to feel the need to pile them up for a photo opportunity then post it on the internet. JC

I am sure they would have been disposed of in a manner that would not upset the public .But it puts a realistic slant on cross contamination that was the post. It is a case of do as i say not as i do cercumstances can change the way we act and money will in my opininon be the biggest driver of change,

Last edited:
I hope i havent opened up a can of worms, That pic is nothing new to me, all i was trying to establish was how everyone else interprets this best practise stuff, and maybe to do so i was playing devils advocate a bit.

Im not completely wet behind the ears regarding how different people handle deer but whats changed since ''the good old days'' is that you have a responsibility and duty of care.. I know that most people now take carcass handling seriously and just wondered how people felt about this responsibility that sits on your shoulders..

Just out of interest, if you see no problem with the scene depicted in this photo why have you (or they) hidden their faces? JC

The very reason being I neither want to end up with a law suit or see the same happen to the SD site .

I have not asked each of the people in the picture for permission to put there face/ picture on the www so I removed the faces hiding there identities therefore not requiring any permission, to post the content of the picture suiting the content of the of the thread heading .

If the guys have inspected the gralloch and there were no signs of disease, i cannot see the problem. Just so long as the carcasses did not become too warm. Admittedly, it does not look great but these guys probably had a job to do, and got on with it. I suppose the last things on their minds were laying the deer out in a nice tidy manner. Looks like they had a busy time. Regards, Ed.

Back