Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get your head round this one!

Get your head round this one!

Hello all!

Tried my 7mm08 a bolt out last weekend on 139grn Hornadys. I've been using Sierra and not had brilliant results. Not too different to what you see here really. There's hardly any difference in the group size no matter what the charge, apart from 44.5 and 47(which was rushed). This was off a bipod and rear rest.

1.5" at best I reckon. Makes me think about re bedding. Or should I throw it in the bin and buy Jingzys rifle?

mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 708 hornady.jpg  

Mick

I don't agree. I think that 45.0 and 45.5 show promise. I would retry with 44.7, 45.0, 45.3, 45.6 and 45.9. Sometimes I trial loads and can draw no conclusion, so I repeat the trial. Also, you don't say what scope you are using, but my feeble eyesight would find it hard to pick a repeatable point on your targets. I tweak the target to match the reticle.

If you've got Excel, PM me and I will send you a couple of targets I use for load development.

Don't give up. Best regards. JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 22-10-2010 at 19:12. Reason: added target.

Try a few different bullets, there will be a combo out there that will print cloverleaves.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Cloverleaves!!! NOOOO!

There's only so many bullet types you can try without thinking I'm throwing good money after bad. I have shot a few roe with this rifle. It's feels nice and light, pointable etc but something isn't right! You know when you're bang on but the groups dont show it

I'm using 6x42 Swaro at the moment 2" circles are okay but hard to see. The bigger circles give quite a good image through the scope though. Maybe I'll try smaller targets and see if the groups shrink. I've got the bullets now I might aswell load them up.

Why do you think the 45 and 45.5 show promise?

Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickthebrick View Post
    .......Why do you think the 45 and 45.5 show promise? ..Cheers Mick
    Mick. The 45.0 is not a bad group - under an inch anyway. The 45.5 has a tight vertical dispersion which is a straw I clutch at. I used to have two Swarovski 8 x 50s on my rifles until I started reloading. I have now gone for much higher power Swarovskis in order to pick the same Aiming Point each time when I am load checking at typically 140yds. I think you aren't far away from a load and once you have found a powder charge that suits, then you can tweak the seating. Offroad Gary's target is one of the best examples I have seen of tweaking the seating and the results that can be got.

Rgds JCS

I would try what jcs has mentioned. Keep tweaking the loads, but get a higher mag on your scope to help improve results. If you cannot fund a higher mag scope, start by shooting at shorter distances. You may be surprised by what can be achieved by gaining confidence at shorter ranges, then extending.

I should start with getting some decent targets for sure somewhere on the site is some targets you can print off for free,sierras are pretty good bullets perhaps your rifle just don't like them but would experiment with seating depths before totally dismissing them.
    ATB Neil.
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...eroing-Targets
    Last edited by Dawnraider; 22-10-2010 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    I should start with getting some decent targets for sure somewhere on the site is some targets you can print off for free,sierras are pretty good bullets perhaps your rifle just don't like them but would experiment with seating depths before totally dismissing them.
    ATB Neil.
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...eroing-Targets
    I wholeheartedly agree with Dawnraider, seating depth was the key to accuracy for my rifle. Powder weight made very little difference, but as soon as I started experimenting with seating depths I started to get outstanding accuracy.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Try an get hold of some 'Mountain Plains' targets, they are blue diamonds and give very good definition especially with lower power scopes or scopes with thickish reticles. I would stick with a powder charge somewhere in the middle of your range and experiment with the seating depth. Also shoot five shot groups. Don't beat yourself up too much, any of those groups would have been considered good a few years ago! JC

Make yourself a target like No. 2 & 3 below as even with a low mag. scope you can still see the white quadrants.

All these targets were shot with my old Sako 75 varminter in .243 calibre.
    Load used was 40.5 grains of Viht. N140 , RP brass and the 75gr Hornady V Max bullets.
    Target No.1 was loaded from my old tub of powder and 2 & 3 with new stock.
    Targets No. 1 and 2 shot with bullets ignited by Federal 210 GM match primers and No. 3 used CCI BR2 primers.
    At any given load primers with different brisance [detonation or burning rate] cause different breech pressure and therefore different dispersal on target.
    Fitting a different primer is the easiest and cheapest way to fine tune a load.
    HWH.

I always have a few different primers in stock but only on very rare occasions use magnum primers.