View Poll Results: What do you were when stalking?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trousers

18 40.91%
  • Tweed plus fours/breaks

19 43.18%
  • Synthetic/gore tex breeks/plus fours

7 15.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When stalking: tweed plus 4s/breeks or trousers?

When stalking: tweed plus 4s/breeks or trousers?

Right well i wondered who out there still stalks in tweed plus fours? I did when i was stalking in the highlands (feels traditional) but when lowland stalking i tend to wear trousers.

Anyway for those who wear them where do you get yours from? this is because i am after a pair of hounds tooth plus fours but cant find a pair of the shelf.

Poll of course should say breeks not breaks.

George
    Last edited by groach1234; 23-10-2010 at 19:00.

tweed being gentlemans goretex is the only way forward!

Hi G roach,
    Still use the old plus fours as i rate them as the best piece of kit ever.I find them very practical (traditional can still be good ).Everything i use on the hill is as comfortble as i can make it.When i started work on my present estate 22 yrs ago my boss supplied me with the full tweed suit every couple of years ,but i never could wear a tie,when asked by my boss why not ,i told him that too many of my descendants had been hung for stealing sheep for me to put a piece of cloth with a slip knot round my neck!!He found that amusing and since then i`ve gone for the practical over the traditional,but never without my plus 4s.
    My plus fours are bought for me but used to be able to buy them from Hebden Cord at Hebden bridge,however not sure if they still operate,Campbells Beauly,Grahams Inverness stil sell them i think.Be warned they are not cheap!!
    Having been in the deep south a couple of times,you still get some weird looks when wearing the tweeds,when everyone else is in their Scandinavian clobber.
    Ps Don`t get breeches or plus 2s as they`re worse than useless.

Cheers Hummel

Tweeds in the family weeks.

Gore tex breeks or trousers at all other times.

Nothing smarter than a tweed suit. It has had its day now though.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Nothing smarter than a tweed suit.
    Interesting point of view, and I suppose you could get away with it if you're well off the beaten track. I think I'd stick to the tweed suit though, given the choice; it is smart enough, and warmer!

I wonder does the deer care

only a thought

f.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Interesting point of view, and I suppose you could get away with it if you're well off the beaten track. I think I'd stick to the tweed suit though, given the choice; it is smart enough, and warmer!
    Im maybe not picking you up right... I mean that the tweed suit IS smart, especially for the hill.

In the last few years what with different aches and pains, Lymes Disease and constant soaking every day I have started to turn to waterproof synthetics, Im thinking about later in life, it cant be good for the body spending from late August until mid February soaked to the skin.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    Im maybe not picking you up right... I mean that the tweed suit IS smart, especially for the hill.
    I was making an obtuse joke, I'm afraid.
    I wonder if anyone will get it?

On topic, though: I have a three-piece plus-four suit of Islay tweed which I wear with a Trilby and a loden overcoat on smart pheasant days.

I sometimes wear pluses on the hill, but as I only go for a week or two at hinds, I generally am Goretexed (Kammo gear) from toe to neck when stalking.
    Last edited by Dalua; 23-10-2010 at 20:05.

"Nothing ever rips and is waterproof ! ^^^^^^^^^ (But cold ! )