Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leave the bucks until after the rut

Leave the bucks until after the rut

I met up with a couple of stalkers at a recent country show. After mentioning that I've got a few good roe buck on my patch, one of them said I should think about leaving them until after the rut.

I've never done this before. What's other stalkers opinions?

Hit them early when the cover is down and before the midges get really active. Well thatís what we do up here.

Thar

Take the crap out, and the beasts going back and try and leave the good uns until the rut has passed! But if your in a forestry patch you may have to adopt the policy of if its brown its down mate to keep the cull targets up!!

atb
    nutty

Bucks

The way I see it is it depends on what pressure you have to reach your cull and the likely hood of some one else taking the good bucks any way. The reason for leaving the good bucks is two fold, it gives them the chance to spread their geans and a large buck will hold a larger teratorie and be less likely to thrash the trees as much as some young upstart. Thats just my take on it. I will be leaving anything that looks a bit special until after the rut.

Dave

Carl Gustaf
    I'm with Devilish on this one, a good territory holding buck is a stalkers best friend! Take out the 'asbo bucks' and retire the golden boy only when he looses out to a better buck. It depends on your situation and size of the deer population on your patch of course.

Will.B
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel
    Take the crap out, and the beasts going back and try and leave the good uns until the rut has passed! But if your in a forestry patch you may have to adopt the policy of if its brown its down mate to keep the cull targets up!!

atb
    nutty
    Sound advise. Its always the stalkers consent dilemea. as to what to leave and what to take.

Some of the text book advise is not always practical.

I have one place that is surrounded by FC so if I don't take what I see when I see it, the chances are I will never see it again. Another small wood is a place that would be ideal to manage, but, clearing the poachers would have to be the first job. The only place that I have that I can be selective on is a farm that has a problem with deer. I get to control them, Sika, all year round, the farm is surrounded by private woodland that is shot once a year for a week, other than that they are mine. I only got it this year and at present am staying well away until the hinds drop their calves. Come July 'ish I shall be in there controlling the nuisance cull stags.

So the strange thing is with the nuisance deer I can be selective, anywhere else I have to beat the FC contract killers and the poachers, isnt that ironic?

John

Buck

Heres a picture of a nice little cull buck I took out this morning

I saw him at 40m but there was no chance of a safe shot. I waited 20 mins for a safe shot there was no where for me to go to get a safe shot fortunately he moved and I finaly shot him at 20m. He then ran off like a race horse. I tried to follow the trail after all the usual procedures and time limits etc. The trail died out so I went to get the dog and he was on it like a pro, he has done a number of blood trail but this was his first real trail.

I fail to see how it would have been any better sport or any more exciting if the buck had huge antlers. Just to add it was a 95grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and it went straight through its heart and the heart had actualy been pushed outside of the body through the exit wound. it must have ran 70-90m.

Dave

Re: Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave
    The way I see it is it depends on what pressure you have to reach your cull and the likely hood of some one else taking the good bucks any way. The reason for leaving the good bucks is two fold, it gives them the chance to spread their geans and a large buck will hold a larger teratorie and be less likely to thrash the trees as much as some young upstart. Thats just my take on it. I will be leaving anything that looks a bit special until after the rut.

Dave
    I take your point Dave about spreading it genes but if he his a biggy and a good animal he would have already done his spreading in previous years and at the moment he his holdind to much ground causing less animals in his area.
    He might be a best friend to forest management because of this.
    But only because of this factor. it all depends on what the area your stalking over is like.
    If you take the big lad out the area will quickly infil by younger bucks trying to establish there own space. Usually the big bucks are found in denser and established plantings so the influx of the younger ones do not have the ecoligical impact on the plantings and as the influx of younger bucks try to obtain this void then it can be used as an advantage in cull control.

Kind Regards
    Stu

I shoot the big bucks after the rut.........

.....Last years rut!!

R.H.