Best knife sharpener

joncarnage

I'm thinking of buying an Apex Pro sharpener, I have a lansky at the moment and I find that the vice part doesn't always hold the blade at the same angle. Just a quick question anyone have any experience of the Apex Pro?

I did a fair bit of research a while ago and they (edge pro) were recomended by everyone who I spoke to and replied to threads on different forums (airgun bbs british blades etc) as the best clamp system available. Funds didn't quite stretch to one at the time so I got the gatco edgemate. It's better than the lansky system if you aquire the extra fine and polishing hones. The edgepros are supposed to be well worth the money but aparently you can go through the waterstones quite quickly if you use them a lot. My intention is to get one in the states next year.
Again this is all just info I've picked up, not first hand experience!

I have a clamp knife sharpening system but to be honest it has not been used since I bought an oval diamond sharpening 'steel'. I use it for everything from hunting/household knives to chisel and plane blades. Probably the best £40 I've spent on any one piece of equipment.

I had a mate bring an Edge Apex 4 Kit ( Edge Pro, Inc. ) back from USA that I had delivered to his place over there - cheapest way I could find to do it.

Takes a little time to get slick at using it, but you won't do any damage to your blades in the process. Yes it really works well and does so fairly gently i.e. you are not removing enormous amounts of expensive steel, so the knives last longer. I find it works well on all straight or convex blades. I haven't worked out a good way of using it on concave curved blades e.g gut hooks or the EKA SwingBlade gutting blade - I use a CRKT SlideSharp for them. I don't have any serrated blades so can't comment on them. Super for regular butchers/kitchen knives too!
Unless you are sharpening for everyone in your street, I don't think you'll wear out the stones in a hurry. The stones can be re-dressed fairly easily and when finally worn out can be replaced individually at reasonable price (compared with the cost of the original outfit!). For me it does get better results than anything else I've used.
Wish I had an Edge Pro Professional Kit 3 - with scissors attachment - though! Alasdair.

Have a look at the Chef choice 3 stage knife sharpener, Use to use both a lansky and Gatco sharpening system and ditched them once I bough an electric knife sharpener. The 3 stage sharpener is excellent, take initally 10 minutes work to get the blade razor sharp then after that take's seconds to touch them up before going out. Just be ready to be shocked when you use the first stage as it does rip steal from your knife but by the time you use the final stage it;s sharp and polished.

Use nice piece of yorkshire sand stone, wet it, & use the blade across it, like using a steel. Its in the wrist action :lol: The bonus is, if the edge goes, there plenty laying around , just to pop the razor edge back!

Last edited:
Have for years now used a Gatco diamond sharpener,bought electric knife sharpener retailing at £110 used it on one of my knives made by a very well known knife maker and cost me a lot of money ,electric sharpener completely knackered things up , sold it on Flea bay.

No it's this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1PZK5DGQAR8424BY5ATJ

It's a lot more robust. You have to use stage 1 first once your knifes been through it it look's shockingly bad and very rough then stage 2 which sharpens the blade stage 3 polishes it, believe me once you've sharpend your knife using all three stages it's ridicularsly sharp. Re sharpening then entales just running it through stage 3 which is a quick polish unless you've really given your knife a good thrashing....

If you do end up getting one of these and you sharpen your better halfs kitchen knife's make sure you tell her she'll thank you for it.

Admitadly it's not cheap but if you've got knives made out of D2 or O3 steel they put an edge that last in quick time.

Last edited:
Back