Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old boxlock any help

old boxlock any help

Good evening guys,i posted on here a while back with regards to an old boxlock 12bore hammer action shotgun i have been given by my father inlaw,ithas some pitting to the barrells. At present im trying to find out the manafacturer of the old girl to no avail, any one help i have added some pictures this time, any one no how to date these regards Will.
    I apoligise for the poor quailty pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gun 046.jpg   gun 045.jpg   gun 047.jpg   gun 048.jpg   gun 049.jpg  

gun 059.jpg   gun 055.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wikedwickedmotox View Post
    Good evening guys,i posted on here a while back with regards to an old boxlock 12bore hammer action shotgun i have been given by my father inlaw,ithas some pitting to the barrells. At present im trying to find out the manafacturer of the old girl to no avail, any one help i have added some pictures this time, any one no how to date these regards Will.
    I apoligise for the poor quailty pictures!

If you go to the double gun journal forum you will get a lot of info about these. A lot of these were built in Birmingham for the trade and delivered to local gunsmiths for final finishing to the customer specs with local gunsmith putting their name to it. Looks a nice piece though.

Couple of things.

It is not a boxlock of any type. It is a hammer gun. My initial thought was that it is Belgian, but the proof marks look to be Birmingham. We would need to see the marks on the barrel flats - underside of the breech end.

I can't read the lettering you try to detail along the top of the barrels. To be fair on a second look at the photos, it seems to be of reasonable quality.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 24-10-2010 at 10:15.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Hi thanks for looking, the writing says "barrels fitted by j j langley " and beneath it says another name i cant decipher!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gun 002.jpg   gun 001.jpg   gun 005.jpg   gun 004.jpg   gun 003.jpg  

That is a sidelock, by the look of it.

JJ Langley of Luton, perhaps? http://www.internetgunclub.com/phpBB...c=683&forum=38

The thingies with the crown and v are the Birmingham view mark, and with crown and b c p, the black powder proof mark. I think the crown over BP on the round bit of barrel is the Birmingham provisional proof mark.

To me, this gun smacks of late 1870s-1880s, but I'm certainly not any kind of expert. The barrels seem to be prettily-patterned damascus.

Diggory Hadoke is worth contacting
    www.vintageguns.co.uk

If you want any work doing these folks gave my hammer gun a gentle refurb. A couple of dents were removed from the barrels which were then re blacked, the woodwork was re-finished and the action given a clean and service. All for a very modest fee which has more than paid for itself in terms of the value added to the gun. both the blacking and wood work are stunning!!!
    I have no affiliation with them whatsoever but the superb service and quality of work were a pleasant change from the usual mediocrity I've encountered in the past.
    http://www.ukgunrepairs.co.uk/

http://www.ukgunrepairs.co.uk/
    Last edited by pigglet; 25-10-2010 at 03:06.

Wiked,

I've had a look at my book on Birmingham Gunmakers.

The Crown marks on the barrels are the definitive proof marks of the Birmingham Proof House. The crossed spears with the crown above and V below are the provisional proof marks from the same house.

The 12C inside the diamond refers to choke. The 13 refers to the nominal size of the bore within the 12 bore range. In your case 13 is .710 of an inch.

The marks suggest that the gun was proofed between 1887 and 1896.

James John Langley is listed at Bute Street, Luton between 1890 and 1894. After that he was at 5 Bucklersbury in Hitchin in 1897 and at 31 Park Square, Luton in 1901.

The serial numbers on the barrels differ from those on the action, which suggests that they were made separately. I think this was quite common at that time.

It looks like a nice piece, so don't go near it with those woodwork screwdrivers on the photo of it in its case !!!

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob thanks very much for the rely with the info you supplied very helpfull! With regards to the screw drivers they wont be going near it ha ha, im going to try and take it up to the chap in Exmoor to have a look to see if i can get the old girl going again id love to use it on the odd driven shoots i get invited to and use it as it should be, the only real problem is the pitting on the inside of the barrels but it isnt excessively bad and there is still some "meat" in the thicness off the barrells as my local gunshop checked it over they alson noted it was a very intresting piece.
    The gun is from my wife's fathers side he is from London and his great grandfather a farmer and this is where it was passed down from he knows nothing other than this! But the initials on the under side of the stock do not bear his current family name.
    thanks again for the replys guys will keep you updated with things as they progress.

Wiked,

Re. the pitting, I had some in the barrels of an old boxlock. My local shop sent it to the smith they use. He was able to lap it out while still keeping the gun in proof. I was delighted. I hope yours can be done in the same way.

I'm not an expert on hammer guns but I did have one of similar age. I have just one note caution, which I learned the hard way.

My hammer gun was nitro proofed and had 2 and a half inch chambers. I used it with my normal Express Supreme Game cartridges that I use in my modern side to side. Whilst in theory my old girl could shoot the modern shells, they didn't do her any good. The action started to come lose from the wood work, the rotary underlever fell off and she developed a lose rib. That particular gun had the Jones Rotary Underlever system where as yours has a top lever and what looks like cross pin lock up system. This should be very robust. However, if you can find a cartridge that kills well enough but doesn't kick as much as some of the modern high performance pheasant cartridges you might save yourself some repair bills in the future.

Hope this helps and enjoy the gun.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    I have just one note caution, which I learned the hard way.
    The note rings true, as Wicked's gun seems to bear only black powder proof marks.