Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Kites today

Red Kites today

Just to share a magical minute...whilst travelling from Ilsley to Abingdon I saw no less than 12 Red Kites searching the A34 for roadkill, what a brilliant outcome for the Chilterns release scheme,when you recall how rare they used to be ,and confined to Mid Wales,they really add something to the countryside,and present a minimal game risk....except to the "bigoted everything with a hooked beak dies hard " contingent,I suppose....?Anton

I thought that was going to say "Red Kites Today.......Don't know they're born. When I were a young chick this were all fields.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Red Kites superb to watch, I had one not to far away from me, I know the RS PB manager and warden at the local center ,due to the wild fowling I do on the Clyde estuary ,I mentioned it to him ,I was out a walk with the spaniels later that day ,Christ never see so many sets of binos .

Not something Ive ever seen again in this area, there had been a storm a couple of days before so who knows where it came from it disappeared just as quick as it appeared .

I luv the sight of a Red kite, a beautifull looking bird
    we used to see one quite often over our shoot
    the one thing I did notice was the effect just one had on all the game birds
    Duck not wanting to lift off the pond or come to feed, the Partridge not wanting to fly and Pheasants tucked up more on the drive where the kite used to sit up and just watch the world go by

I do hav sympathy for those that had no choice in the matter and are plagued with 30 + kites every day, all day long over their shoots
    can't say it would please me either,

There is sod all magical when you are trying to run a pheasant shoot and they release Red scavengers in amongst the already overcrowded buzzard population !!!!

Far better putting their efforts into saving the song birds !

another release program just like the one by me in grizedale forest cumbria within a week one of the 30 odd kites was found shot on the yorkshire border there is four on my local lump of moor which is a massive coinsidence that this year my local estate has released 1500 partridge and 300 pheasants on there so i dont go for they dont eat game and just eat road kill etc just like 2434me says far better putting their efforts into saving the song birds

They do take game and i have seen them take pheasants that clap down in fear.. buzzards of course just lick game and tickle their underarms??

Just one thing to remember,if you introduce a prey species nature will attempt to balance out the equation..red kites are not pursuit raptors, they are carrion/opportunistic birds,don,t we stalk to restore the balance and by definition we are predators are we we not? I am sure that deliberate shooting of raptors or poisoning with Carbofuran does nothing to enhance the image of gamekeepers,the bad players are not looking at the long game..they are no better than poachers just destroying birds of prey due to commercial pressures ,mainly from the shoot owners in some cases.."my job is on the line if I cannot provide the clients with birds",I suppose a peregrine is fair game to a pigeon fancier ? This subject will roll on and on ,for vested interests will only see their point of view I guess.

Account Suspended
    Hi Ytene

Quote Originally Posted by ytene View Post
    Just one thing to remember,if you introduce a prey species nature will attempt to balance out the equation..red kites are not pursuit raptors, they are carrion/opportunistic birds,don,t we stalk to restore the balance and by definition we are predators are we we not? I am sure that deliberate shooting of raptors or poisoning with Carbofuran does nothing to enhance the image of gamekeepers,the bad players are not looking at the long game..they are no better than poachers just destroying birds of prey due to commercial pressures ,mainly from the shoot owners in some cases.."my job is on the line if I cannot provide the clients with birds",I suppose a peregrine is fair game to a pigeon fancier ? This subject will roll on and on ,for vested interests will only see their point of view I guess.
    All god's creatures, beautiful or otherwise, have their place I'm sure. The bit that always puzzles me is the argument that plenty of each of the apex species "proves" there is a healthy balance to sustain it, or that nature will provide, when actually the apex species are nurtured by over-enthusatic re-introduction and biased legislation, while the rest of the pyramid is being savagely eroded.

By way of example; I know I have done nothing to change my farming practice to the detriment of wildlife. Quite the opposite in fact, and yet hereabouts my favourite bird, the fiesty little grey partridge has been decimated, the linties are rare and the curlews even rarer. There are still many ground nesting species left but in far smaller numbers. As for the hedgerows, they are being stripped bare by the magpies that the ever growing number of misguided commuting urbanite (non?) townies so belove in this district, despite my best efforts to educate and exercise control measures. Similarly, badgers abound in such numbers that they are now becoming a pest even to themselves IMHO. As to Buzzards, well... we cut a field of arable silage a few weeks back and this year saw a new record... we counted 34 in the air or on the fences at the same time. The poor blighters seemed to be desperate too.

I think nature provides an apex on top of a healthy pyramid, but man is not doing the converse. So, +1 on save the song birds.
    Last edited by Tamus; 24-10-2010 at 10:56. Reason: removal of typo

You are making some very direct accusations about gamekeepers, In your last post you make no effort to enhance the image of gamekeepers in any way.
    The way i read your post it came over bigoted and that all keepers are doing something wrong.
    Im not sure what carbonfuran is i assume its some sort of poison
    I have no idea where you get your information on keepers killing birds of prey, can i ask you respond with the following information
    The numbers of keepers in the uk
    The numbers of keepers guilty of killing birds of prey by year over the last 10 years
    From that i suspect we will see a very very small percentage, yet you make allowance in your post.
    Next time you are stalking and you come across a gamekeeper why not tell him what a bad job he and his brethren are doing.
    Explain to him where the data you make your statment on comes from.
    I could be wrong but you come over in your post as a sensationalist and a littel troll like to me
    Regards
    Ian
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe