Thread: suspect growth

suspect growth

Hi guy's,
    I shot a button buck yesterday morning and on inspection of the gralloch i noticed a golf ball sized growth on the esophagus just above the gralloch, it was soft and the same colour as the gralloch, also the messenteric glands on one side were slightly bigger than normal.
    I cut the gland to inspect them and found them to be a darker brown than normal also, they were not hard but did'nt look right.
    All the other glands were nomal the only other defect i noticed was a deformed back leg as if it was twisted.

As anyone else found anything similar or any ideas on the probable causes.

Regards Mark.

Could just be food on its way down mate ready to get digested or on its way to get chewed again did you eat the deer.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 25-10-2010 at 07:45.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Could just be food on its way down mate ready to get digested or on its way to get chewed again did you eat the deer.
    If he did he would more than likely suffer from a bad case of hanging heamoroids

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 1 View Post
    Hi guy's,
    I shot a button buck yesterday morning and on inspection of the gralloch i noticed a golf ball sized growth on the esophagus just above the gralloch, it was soft and the same colour as the gralloch, also the messenteric glands on one side were slightly bigger than normal.
    I cut the gland to inspect them and found them to be a darker brown than normal also, they were not hard but did'nt look right.
    All the other glands were nomal the only other defect i noticed was a deformed back leg as if it was twisted.

As anyone else found anything similar or any ideas on the probable causes.

Regards Mark.
    think its called a baerums pouch
    if its a small pouch that has food stuff in it and is partial digested but not infected then thats a possible answer.
    i was not aware of roe having this but human infants do and as we get older it goes away.
    only a wild guess, sure the More Experienced will have the correct answer.
    always love a picture though.....

frank

Not more experienced than CBS, but it could well be a oesophageal diverticulum-where the oesophagus has herniated outwards creating a pouch, although you normally get some clinical signs with them (can be asymptomatic too if small) they can be caused by foreign objects.

I'll have a look in my anatomy textbook for baerums pouch, not heard of it before. Due to the embryonic folding a foetus undergoes during development, they will possess various pouch like structures but I can't imagine one still being in place post partum. You can get Atresia, where the oesophagus ends in a blind pouch but that's a birth defect...
    Last edited by Dorsetvetstudent; 08-12-2010 at 23:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetvetstudent View Post
    Not more experienced than CBS, but it could well be a oesophageal diverticulum-where the oesophagus has herniated outwards creating a pouch, although you normally get some clinical signs with them (can be asymptomatic too if small) they can be caused by foreign objects.

I'll have a look in my anatomy textbook for baerums pouch, not heard of it before. Due to the embryonic folding a foetus undergoes during development, they will possess various pouch like structures but I can't imagine one still being in place post partum. You can get Atresia, where the oesophagus ends in a blind pouch but that's a birth defect...
    Hi,

the pouch i refer too can also be similar to the one that birds use to store food that's been partial digested for regurgitation when it comes back to its young.
    a picture would be really interesting to see on this issue.

heres a link to the human pouch
    Pharyngeal pouch - Sore Throat Guide

frank

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    Hi,

the pouch i refer too can also be similar to the one that birds use to store food that's been partial digested for regurgitation when it comes back to its young.
    a picture would be really interesting to see on this issue.

heres a link to the human pouch
    Pharyngeal pouch - Sore Throat Guide

frank
    Hi

Yep that makes sense, essentially an oesophageal diverticulum but occurs higher in in the pharynx (called Zenkers Diverticulum when it occurs, according to Brother number 1 who's a doctor, sounds like a clown to me but oh well). Hadn't really come across it before.

Not found any images on in the BVA journals having had a quick flick through, there are some good radiographs online though of human ones!

It sounds to me though that it woudl explain the gross anatomy of the structure found-i.e. soft and same colour as the gralloch, not hard-not too many differentials. Be good to see a pic if possible though!

ATB

Tom
    Last edited by Dorsetvetstudent; 09-12-2010 at 17:41.

I had a similar find in a Doe a couple of weeks ago. Growth was hen's-egg size and attached close to the larynx. Lungs also displayed large white patches, similar to symptons of pneumonia and most lymph nodes were slightly enlarged. The 2 abnormalities aroused my concerns so I took the gralloch to the local VLA. Their diagnosis of the growth, which was soft and filled with a cream mucous, was that it was most likely triggered by a stab wound from a thorn or twig. Initial inspection of lungs was inconclusive. The Lab has submitting the lungs and growth for further analysis and condemned the carcass as unfit for human consumption. I will post results when I get more information