Thread: Sharpening Stone Advice

Sharpening Stone Advice

Hi all,

Well it's got to the point now where I can't justify buying any more knives so I have decided I want to buy a sharpening stone and sharpen them all up.

My question is what type to buy, I have searched the net and found wet stones, oil stones and all these different grades of grit ?!?

Any one have any experience or recommendations, nothing too expensive just a good allround stone?

Thanks
    Jonathan
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Your looking to buy a dmt diamond whet stone simple to use you'll never wear it out it's a one time buy

http://www.dmtsharp.com/

I can only recommend what i use, if you want a lightweight one to take stalking with you for the weekend then this is fab, the DC4 fallkniven as seen on the ray mears website. It has a diamond stone on one side and ceramic on the other, its puts a fantastic edge on my knives with hardly any effort. I also have japanese wetstones for serious sharpening back at home..

Japanese wetstone and a pair of crock sticks.

At IWA Nurnberg 2 years ago the Outdoor Edge company were next to my table and he was showing off by using a broken plates edge to hone the final edge to his knives. Costs nowt.
    I have used the diamond stones since 1980 and think they are perfect tools.
    Martin

Thank you for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Your looking to buy a dmt diamond whet stone simple to use you'll never wear it out it's a one time buy

http://www.dmtsharp.com/
    I like the look of the DMT diamond stones so I'll think I'll swoop in for one of those, the double sided one look like a good idea

Thanks again
    Jonathan

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    Thank you for the replies

I like the look of the DMT diamond stones so I'll think I'll swoop in for one of those, the double sided one look like a good idea

Thanks again
    I wouldnt bother
    Get yourself an old Timer Schrade steel from USA

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCHRADE-OLD-TI...item588a607b0d
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 25-10-2010 at 08:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    I wouldnt bother
    Get yourself an old Timer Schrade steel from USA

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCHRADE-OLD-TI...item588a607b0d
    I have one of those Stu its very good! be aware of some of the cheap imitations though!

Jonher,

My brother in law is a carpenter and custom knifemaker. He is very good at sharpening things. He uses one of the double sided folding DMT diamond sharpeners, an old Timer steel and, occasionally, my EZ lap continuous diamond stone.

Regardless of the type of stone / steel you use, the correct angle is the most important thing. This is why some of the sharpening systems have a guide for the blade.

If you, like me, are a relative novice at sharpening I would suggest you buy a stone that you can put on a flat surface. This will leave you with both hands free to hold the knife and get the right angle. Holding a knife in one hand and a steel in the other and then bringing a blade and steel together consitantly at the correct angle takes practice. It is quick for the guys who have the knack, but is tricky for beginers. I speak from several years of having the P*ss taken out of me by a Mester !!!

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks all,

Going to order one of the DMT DuoSharp stones and perhaps a Fällkniven DC4 for in my rucksack.
    Jonathan