.270 load success

DC .270

Good evening all,

I just thought I'd post my new load mix for any other .270 users who may be interested.

This afternoon I loaded 130gr Nosler accubonds with Winchester brass, CCI large rifle primers, and 59gr of H4831sc. I seated the bullet about 10thou off the lands.

This is the first time I've used the noslers and I have to say... I'm very happy with them. The first 3 shots at 100 yards are better than Ihoped for. I just moved it a click to the left and did not alter the elevation, which is at 1.5" high at 100 yards.

I don't think I'll be experementing again for a while. :)

IMAG0015.jpg

DC

Very nice!

Nice feeling isnt it when you get results like that! Are you off to Buckles this week? I cant make it.. I think a few of us may go for a beer in Ripon if your up for that sometime..

It is a great feeling!

I think I'll be making an appearance in Buckles inn. Not sure if I'll get there bang on time though. When were you thinking about meeting in Ripon?

DC

DC, that is bloody good well done,
Might be worth taking the range out to 200 then 300 yards out of curiosity.
With your own loads it is always interesting to see what the drop is.

Smithy

The very first time you put five into the board, then look closer , then closer still, & then ask yourself did they all really go through that ragged hole?........... can't beat it, (unless you just dropped your first beast with them!):cool:.

very nicley done , i will start to think about reloading for the 270 now ive got one on the way !

cheers lee

59 to 60 grains of H4831 certainly seems to be the magic spot for .270W - mine, Mereside's and Gadget's all shoot one-hole groups at 60gns under a 130gn Hornady Interlock or Sierra ProHunter bullet, with just COL adjustments made to suit each rifle. In my 21" barrelled PH, that load is doing 2980fps - at the hotter end but not maxed out.

Interestingly, I have found Reloder22 and N160 to be completely interchangeable with H4831 in my .270 - they all give near identical results at 60gns.

Zeroed 1.5" high at 200 yards (using the 'maximum PBR approach' and a 5" kill zone), there's 2.5" drop at 277 yards, 9.5" at 350 and 16" at 400.

A.

Hi Guy's,
On the VihtaVuori Edition 8 Reloading Guide, for 130gn head.
Starting with N160 51.5 to Maximum 58.0. And your getting your best results @ 60 grains? i am missing something here?

My sweet load with N160 is 53 grains for my .270 [cloverleafs] or am i reading this wrong? soz if i am.

I reload 110 grain heads and that is 59gn-60gn N160 very good on Vermin, again if i am missing something always here to learn.

Regards Wullie.

Hi Guy's, On the VihtaVuori Edition 8 Reloading Guide, for 130gn head. Starting with N160 51.5 to Maximum 58.0. And your getting your best results @ 60 grains? i am missing something here?....

Regards Wullie.

Yeah Willie, the VV is notoriously conservative and gives very mild load data for most rounds. It is laughable compared to US data for example.

The only round that I have looked at where VV data is near the potential is 6.5x47 Lapua, which if you believe it has more velocity potential than a 260rem or a 6.5 swede despite less case capacity.

Hi Guy's,
On the VihtaVuori Edition 8 Reloading Guide, for 130gn head.
Starting with N160 51.5 to Maximum 58.0. And your getting your best results @ 60 grains? i am missing something here?

My sweet load with N160 is 53 grains for my .270 [cloverleafs] or am i reading this wrong? soz if i am.

I reload 110 grain heads and that is 59gn-60gn N160 very good on Vermin, again if i am missing something always here to learn.

Regards Wullie.

Hmmm well out of interest the 1st edition Vhit manual lists 55.5 grains of N160 as max with a 130 grain (Remington) bullet and 59.3 grains of N165 as max with the Speer SPBT bullet.

Just goes to show how they change things from edition to edition. Oh I have searched and searched and cannot find any reference in it to a head :doh: bullet yes :stir:.

I rarely, if ever, refer to the VihtaVouri manual now - their reference data is massively out of kilter with the loads I've developed using properly set up Quickload, careful observation and testing.

60 gns of N160 isn't compressed in a Norma case (water volume checked) and isn't showing any pressure signs on the cases or primers - I use CCI BR2s - in my elderly Parker Hale Safari .270W. It is, however, very fickle about seating depth and prefers the bullet seated only a gnat's crotchet off the lands, whereas Gadget's Tikka seems so fire them as accurately whether seated just off the rifling or hammered into the case at random with a mallet. It also fires £8 per 20 PPu ammo just as well - even more irritatingly, it shoots 150gn and 130gn PPU bullets to the same POI - so I don't really know why I bother spoiling him with carefully fettled handloads...

The only magic thing my .270 does is fire to the same POI whether it has the moderator on or off.

A.

Gents,

I've stuck with H4831 since starting the reloading process. 60gr behind a 130 gr bullet always shot well. I only slackened off to 59gr because there were slight pressure signs... flattened primers. (no brass damage). I'll try raising the zero to 2.5" high at 200 yd one day. I've always liked being about dead zero at 200yd, but it makes for interesting reading for longer ranges. Strangely ... my beauty shoots similar with the mod off too!

Back