Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning .22lr

Cleaning .22lr

Just picked up a 'new'' BRNO .22lr, lovely little thing, and hardly ever been shot. However, some old residue left in barrel from previous owner, so I want to give it a good clean - do you guys follow the usual rifle-cleaning process, or do you not worry so much about the intricacies of the cleaning process due to the inherent accuracy and range limitations?

also, should I be worried about pitting, etc. or does that not happen with lead bullets from the .22?

thanks in anticipation.

Hi PKL,

This my, or may not be, what you were expecting to read...

I bought a second hand, and old BRNO .22lr for 50 quite a few years ago. I must have had thousands of rounds through it since then too. I have cleaned it a maximum of three times (the two that I recall and a third for one I've possibly forgotten).

It shoots extremely well - every bit as good as my friends Anschutz at the rabbit ranges we work at - obviously his is far superior at the longer ranges.

I've not had any issues with pitting. The barrell has normally got a good coating of lead on it after a couple of shots anyway.

Please let me know how you get on once you've had a few, more helpfull replies. I look forward to seeing some of the other comments yet to be posted.

DC

Shoot it first see what it does, if it ain't broke don't fix it. For what it's worth I cannot remember cleaning my 22 lr and it is still extremely accurate.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Modern .22 L/R ammunition is designed to leave a coating on the barrel. I did clean my Brno Model 2 on acquiring it then shot it and I have wiped it through once since then after being out with in in the rain. When testing different ammo remember to shoot at least 10 of the new type through it before looking at the groups. The barrel needs to be seasoned with the new ammo's lube before you can really judge the precision of it.

DC: I hope you mean that the barrel has a coating of lube and not lead! My rule for .22 cleaning is "As little as possible, if ever." The one sure way to insure mediocre accuracy from a .22 is to clean it often.~Muir

I normally work on the basis of cleaning my .22 about once a year or after being out in the wet.
    With regard to the residue of lube left in the barrel, I recently experienced some problems with accuracy in my C.Z. varmint. I have been using Geco ammo on the rage with quite good results when all of a sudden the groups opened up considerably. The Geco uses a non sticky lube and is supposed to be well suited to use in semi autos. On changing back to RWS Target the groups immediately shrunk again to the one hole groups normal to this rifle. I cleaned the rifle and the remainder of the box of Geco once again shot tight groups. I have a theory that the Geco lube hardens in the barrel if the rifle is not shot for a few weeks with adverse effects to accuracy? Now this may seem illogical to everyone else but I have decided to clean all remnants of the dry lube from my barrel and stick to conventional wax lubed bullets in the future.

"I have been using Geco ammo on the rage with quite good results "

hope you don't come around here!

Why - explain please!

..I assume you meant "Range" not 'on the rage' ...ie. on a shooting spree in public!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    DC: I hope you mean that the barrel has a coating of lube and not lead! My rule for .22 cleaning is "As little as possible, if ever." The one sure way to insure mediocre accuracy from a .22 is to clean it often.~Muir
    Truth be told Muir, I have no idea! I've certainly never used lube - you can ask my lass.

I just push a rod through it when it gets to the stage that there's so much sh**e in the barrel that it looks like it's an imposibility for the thing to shoot straight... It usually still does though. They're cracking little machines.

DC