Cleaning .22lr

Read it again - twice.

One time I even read it 'carefully'.

I could read it backwards if you like. They would still be contradictory statements.

If it takes 30-50 rounds to "settle in" AFTER cleaning, then cleaning has SOME "impact on accuracy".

Regards,
Paul

I read these two statements as saying: cleaning does not impact accuracy, from a long-term perspective, but after cleaning, there will be 30-50 rounds where there is volatility in the POI due to the barrel being re-lubricated by the lead coatings, and after that, you should be back to the point where the cleaning process has a. put your barrel in a cleaner state, and b. the cleaning process will have had no impact on accuracy.

Just my interpretation.

from a long-term perspective,
Kind of an important addition to "interpretation" don't you think? Of course it's easy to read that into the meaning. Nonetheless, 'your rifle will shoot badly for 30 to 50 shots after you clean it' STILL means that cleaning "affects" accuracy, which is inconsistent with "cleaning does not cause inaccuracy" - RickOshay's "theme".

Your clarification, by the way, is one way to "reconcile" the the inconsistency of the statements, and could just as easily have been stated by RickOshay instead of the snotty "read carefully" and "reconcile yourself".

Regards,
Paul

Last edited:
Maybe it's a transatlantic thing. PKL interprets correctly.
As for snotty, get over it, you added no value to a thread meant to support the OP :stir:
Those long dark nights must fly by....:rofl:

My .22 shoots fine after cleaning , Just as well im totally OCD if im to use these guidelines as a rule of thumb never to clean a barrel . I would rather give it a once through and action out and a wipe down than to peer down that barrel and see pitting , Then again if i did not look i would not know if it was pitted or not . ....

You're right! You wouldn't!

I recently recrowned my Brno#1 and it has taken about 300 rounds to shoot the last of the cutting fluid residue from the bore... even after wiping it with Hoppes Nitro Solvent. It finally began to shoot this afternoon the way it should... all shots cutting at 50M. I really hesitate to get fluids -especially oils, and especially cutting oils- in the bore.~Muir

Once or twice through with a bore snake seems to do them job for me, and i have no probs with accuracy when its fired next time.

I've a ruger 1022 which I have spent lots of cash on...! I put a new barrel on it made by tactical innovations in the hope that it would improve accuracy. I was very disappointed
to find that it shot no better, however starting to listen to people who advise never to clean a .22lr I have not touched the bore for the last 500 rnds and low and behold the rifle has started to group a lot better. I'm not talking match accuracy, by best is still just over 1" at 50 yards, but way better then the 4" shotgun patterns I was getting until now. It also helps that I now only use eley subs, pretty much the only ammunition it will shoot well. So I for one am sold on not cleaning the .22. My hmr on the other hand I could never leave after shooting!

Last edited:
I've a ruger 1022 which I have spent lots of cash on...! I put a new barrel on it made by tactical innovations in the hope that it would improve accuracy. I was very disappointed
to find that it shot no better, however starting to listen to people who advise never to clean a .22lr I have not touched the bore for the last 500 rnds and low and behold the rifle has started to group a lot better. I'm not talking match accuracy, by best is still just over 1" at 50 yards, but way better then the 4" shotgun patterns I was getting until now. It also helps that I now only use eley subs, pretty much the only ammunition it will shoot well. So I for one am sold on not cleaning the .22. My hmr on the other hand I could never leave after shooting!

1" at 50 yds is still quite a lot,, no offense.. I don't know if I could sleep at night if my .22LR was over 1/2" at that range with ammo it likes.

Agreed and no offence taken. Before however it was so inaccurate that it wasn't humane bunny rifle. Now I think it is, out to the limited ranges I ask of my .22lr. I think perhaps I was hoping for too much from my 1022, a straight blow back semi auto is never going to give the accuracy of a decent bolt gun, (how I wish I has snapped up that 14" anschutz t-hole carbine I saw for £250 at minsterly while they were reducing their stock - the nause of a variation swayed me against it).

So far I have polished the bearing surfaces inside the receiver, fitted an auto bolt release, fitted a power custom trigger kit, new extractor, recoil spring, bolt buffer and striker, oh and a new hogue stock. Its now more after market parts than ruger 1022, but it was fun putting it together.

I get better accuracy with eley tenex but at around £9 a box I might as well use the HMR. The only other thing I have thought of is an expander die to resize the bullets to fit the bore more closely. I have seen some reviews on the net of a product made by a chap called Paco Kelly which looks like it could work. Otherwise I don't spend any time sorting and checking ammunition for rim thickness, I think the tolerances on a 1022 are too loose for it to make a difference.

pick up a used BRNO Mod 2 for £50, will shoot +/- 0.5" at 50 yds with bog-standard sub ammo like Eley or RWS, etc.

I got mine for £100 with a Nikko Sterling scope on, shot less than 50 rounds, and can shoot sub 1" at 75 yds no problem when I do my part:D

I'm sure you're right - bows head in resignation - I just convinced myself the semi auto would give me an advantage. It doesn't really, but its fun to shred the odd tin can very fast! Its also super light to carry, I've held heavier pistols. I've invested so much time and money in it now that I might as well see what the best I can get out of it is. I don't shoot at rabbits at great distances with it anyway.

I always read the magazine reviews that claim such and such semi auto is shooting moa at 100m, right out of the box with a raised eyebrow now! Then again I may just be a cr@p shot.

i dont buy the semi auto vs bolt thing. I grew up with a semi auto browning and it would happily put bullets in a one hole group at best, at worst it would be 1/2". granted my bolt action sako will put them in the same hole at 50yds (as you said above "when I do my part")

IMO you have more trouble guessing the .22 trajectory at any range in or outside your zero range than you do from a semi auto accuracy. your 1022 sounds a shocker and a candidate for some serious investigation

Back