Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a new rifle in .243 I have a budget of a 1000 looking for some rrecommen

looking for a new rifle in .243 I have a budget of a 1000 looking for some rrecommen

I am looking for a new rifle in .243 I have a budget of a 1000 and was looking for some recommendations; change is always a good thing so I don't have to spend all of it. The rifle will be multi use for both fox and deer, I stalk in all conditions, wind rain snow and sun, mainly in the Aberdeen/moray area, I don't shoot over 200 yards but I like to be as accurate as possible I am a believer in its where you put the shot that counts not the size of your cannon. I was thinking of either a stainless synthetic or stainless laminate, threaded. i have scope, mod,bipod and plenty of time.

So can any one advise what is the best value for money .234 rifle out there? And where are the best uk bargains.

charlie

Charlie

For that kind of money fella straight out of the box,a Tikka T3 would be fine for you, or maybe a second hand Sako, and would be accurate enough for your needs.
    If it was me, i wouid just go another of couple of hundred and buy a new Sako.Gregor at Tains have a Sako 75 stainless laminate for that kind of money.

Good luck

Al

My two penny’s worth and you will get plenty of opinions here which could make matters worse, because everyone likes there own set up, look for those who have had various different makes,
    I have had only a few different rifles over the years but settled on Sako 75s, so I would look for a new 75 and there are still the odd one around, the new 85s even though not handled one myself don’t appear to be as good from comments and reviews.
    But the main thing is to try different makers and see what fit you the best, head position comfort etc.

Smithy

Well if it were me looking at a NEW rifle I would start with the CZ and Howa and spend the most I could on the scope and mounts.

I would 2nd Brithhunters comments. Howa for stainless though. Spend your money on good S&B, swaro or Meopta 6x42 or 8x56 scope and mounts and then the rest on the rifle.

He already has a scope, mod etc.

Dont forget that you are likely to need specific mounts (unless you are lucky and already have the right ones) but i would have thought that for that money you should be able to find a pretty mint Sako and have a good chunk of change

There is this if you want a synthetic:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100413164558011

Or this in wood/blue:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100721231156603

Or a Steve Kershaw Remington:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100318164813377

Loads of options under a grand if you look for a fresh second hand.

Any new rifle under 1000 requires compromises.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 25-10-2010 at 11:35.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I'd be looking for a nice 2nd hand sako or sauer for that money especially if you're in no rush something nice will turn up for sure.
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Newcombe View Post
    He already has a scope, mod etc.

Dont forget that you are likely to need specific mounts (unless you are lucky and already have the right ones) but i would have thought that for that money you should be able to find a pretty mint Sako and have a good chunk of change
    yes so I now notice about the scope etc.

Whoops I also missed mentioning the Weatherby Vanguards which are of course under 1,000:-

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100813131322291

and CZ do synthetic stocked rifles now as well...............

Have a look at my website we have a used remmington .243 houge stock ,bipod,T8 sound mod, harris bipod and leupold vari power scope all for 900
    i also have a used manlicher synthetic just in havnt had time to assess it as yet

and no delivery charge as your on my doorstep
    i can also get howa cz etc

cheers
    steve