Input on bullets for .243 and .308 - Roe, Red, etc.

User00003

I've been thinking of potential ammo candidates for my .243Win, and next years addition, a .308Win (unless someone miraculously convinces me otherwise).

I've shortlisted the below, and thought the esteemed members of the reloading community might be able to offer their input and experience, particularly relating to:

a. Accuracy
b. Expansion and weight retention
c. Any Positives/Negatives (ex. good for longer shots, bad for angle shots, low expansion at short range and lower velocities, over expansion at high velocities, etc. etc.)

I am currently using .243 for both Roe and Red (100g, but next year will be looking at 85g as will be only for Roe), but am adding a .308 next year specifically for Reds (130g to 150g I expect), so any comments about which caliber is better suited to each bullet and purpose is also appreciated.

Look forward to your input!,,,if any...

1. Hornady
a. Interbond
b. SST
2. Speer Hot Cor
3. Swift Scirrocco II
4. Barnes
a.Triple Shock
5. Nosler
a. Accubond
b. Partition
6. Scierra
a. Gameking SP
b. Gameking HP

I've been thinking of potential ammo candidates for my .243Win, and next years addition, a .308Win (unless someone miraculously convinces me otherwise).

I've shortlisted the below, and thought the esteemed members of the reloading community might be able to offer their input and experience, particularly relating to:

a. Accuracy
b. Expansion and weight retention
c. Any Positives/Negatives (ex. good for longer shots, bad for angle shots, low expansion at short range and lower velocities, over expansion at high velocities, etc. etc.)

I am currently using .243 for both Roe and Red (100g, but next year will be looking at 85g as will be only for Roe), but am adding a .308 next year specifically for Reds (130g to 150g I expect), so any comments about which caliber is better suited to each bullet and purpose is also appreciated.

Look forward to your input!,,,if any...

1. Hornady
a. Interbond
b. SST
2. Speer Hot Cor
3. Swift Scirrocco II
4. Barnes
a.Triple Shock
5. Nosler
a. Accubond
b. Partition
6. Scierra
a. Gameking SP
b. Gameking HP

go with Interbonds,superb bullet

You put ANY one of the above bullets in the right place and its curtains for your quarry.

PKL - Picking up on Dan's comment, I agree. I suggest that you pick one rifle and one bullet for all the deer that you pursue. Learn how that combination works and use it every time you go stalking.

Rgds JCS

PKL - Picking up on Dan's comment, I agree. I suggest that you pick one rifle and one bullet for all the deer that you pursue. Learn how that combination works and use it every time you go stalking.

Rgds JCS

You left out Hornady Interlocks. Fantastic bullets for deer, (specially the flat base ones) good value, near "target-shooter" accuracy and readily available.

Y'd think I work for Hornady, but I don't. I've tried many other bullets (in cals from .224" to .308") and nearly all of them are just fine, but I always come back to Interlocks.

You left out Hornady Interlocks. Fantastic bullets for deer, (specially the flat base ones) good value, near "target-shooter" accuracy and readily available.

Y'd think I work for Hornady, but I don't. I've tried many other bullets (in cals from .224" to .308") and nearly all of them are just fine, but I always come back to Interlocks.

i use them in my 243 and 308 and they are outstanding

Sierra Gameking in 100gn SPBT and 85gn HPBT are both excellent choices in .243 the 85 seem to have the edge on accuracy though and dont get deformed noses when chambering which is a plus,in 30cal nosler BT have worked well for me although i use the 165gn in 30.06 not tried the 150s as yet,the 125gn seem quite popular with some for the .308.
Neil.

i've used 100grain speer SPBT and they work really well open and in my .308 use 150grain Sierra Gamekings very effective. But got to fidn out which bullet suits your rifle.

My very picky BSA likes the speer hot-cor 90 grain SPs - nice controlled expansion, accuracy is fine too. I don't push them very fast but so they might be explosive at very high speeds, I don't know. Fallow, roe and munties all die though.

James

Back