Humane dispatch handgun

njc110381

I've just been out to dispatch my third Fox in just over a week. All have been caught right in the middle of town with very restricted parking. I've had to walk for 100 yards or so with my rifle slung over my shoulder (in a bag of course) and each time have had some very strange looks!

As I'm getting more and more calls for this kind of work and getting my name known I'm wondering what are the chances of getting a handgun for this task? I don't need anything macho like the PPK listed on Guntrader and just a break action single shot would do the deed if it would make the application sit better with the police?. I would want/need it to be moderated for the areas I tend to work in.

I've never really taken an interest in this sort of thing before but it would be very handy for me so I was wondering how many of you have a handgun for this task and also what you have? From reading through the basic legal stuff .32 seems to be the base calibre so what guns can you get in this chambering? I know of .32ACP but assume there are other rimmed cartridges too? I don't need a big boomer like a .38/.357 or a .44 because the biggest animal I am ever likely to need to dispatch in urban areas is a Roe Deer. If I get called out to a Bull on a farm I can just as easily use a rifle or shotgun. A .22 would do for Foxes but maybe not Deer at pistol velocities?

So... Has anyone got any advice as to how I should go about this? I intend to e-mail my FEO for his input but would like some basic knowledge of the calibres and guns available so I don't end up going for something I'll struggle to get hold of or wont be any good!

How could you use a pistol in the middle of a town?:eek:
The ricochet risk would be too great. Very easy to miss as well with a pistol!!!
I use a moderated .410 now for the vast majority of what I do. 18 grams of subsonic No.6 shot at close range will kill anything!;)
Very little risk of exit hole or ricochet, quiet and discrete. Job done!
A .410 pistol is another possibility I suppose but wouldn't be as quiet.
MS:)

+1 with the Spanker on a moderated folding .410. Very discrete and there's very little you can do with a pistol that the .410 can't handle - maybe moonlighting for the mob excepted. :D

Last edited:
all my RTA's done with a 12g for Hampshire constabulary, a bit messy I need a folding 410 that would tick all the box's.

CF

hi just as another train of thought what about a cash coptive bolt gun very effective and no licence needed and no worries about ricochet

RogerH had a double barrel .410 Bond Arms Derringer pistol for sale on here on 10March 2010. Not cheap at £500 but ideal for the job.

I tried to get permission for one about 6 years ago and listed the safe dispatch of wounded deer as my reason. Lothian & Borders sought advice from the DCS who went on to list reasons why I shouldn't need one and were listened to. If anyone wants to hear the farce that ensued when I phoned the DCS up to query their guidance I will post how the conversation went.

This had been the same pistol I had been looking at back then, and having had a discussion today with my local FEO it looks as though it may be worth applying again for it.:) Time will tell.

I think you're right, the main handgun available will be the .32 single shot (our practice weapon is a modified Brazillian - no smirking!). Fair for cattle and horses, not so good for bulls. However, it has to be placed against the skull, anything beyond a foot or so is wildly inaccurate. I think the advice on a .410 is sound. A captive bolt is designed as a stunner, so you'd have to bleed afterwards.

I don't want a captive bolt. I really don't fancy sticking my hand in a cage with a trapped Fox to try to get near its head!

A .410 shot pistol would work if I could mod it. Really I don't care what it looks like as long as it does the job. At the moment I use a short .22lr rifle, but anything that is long is a bit of a pain as it stands out a bit. You have to consider the shot site too - just getting a modded .410 or rifle out in view of all the other houses in the terrace isn't ideal. A pistol could be shielded by a jacket in use so nobody would ever see what's going on.

I'm not sure why as shooters people have such an issue with handguns. They're not "macho" any more than any other gun, rather just easier to hide from prying eyes. The idea is that nobody would ever see it to draw an opinion in the first place!

II have never carried a handgun for "humane dispatch" but I've been shooting them for 40 years +/- and have a couple of dozen of them. If I was buying this for putting down injured or wounded animals I would get a 38 Special or better yet, a 357 Magnum which will also shoot 38 Special cartridges. Loads can be had from .38 Special Target Wadcutters for small game to full power .357 loads for animals that aren't approachable in their wounded state. I have hunted and killed deer with one of these, as well as put down fully grown beef cows that have been mauled by coyotes during calving. I am not a big fan of the 32 ACP for anything other than self defense...

But I am not a discreet person.~Muir

II have never carried a handgun for "humane dispatch" but I've been shooting them for 40 years +/- and have a couple of dozen of them. If I was buying this for putting down injured or wounded animals I would get a 38 Special or better yet, a 357 Magnum which will also shoot 38 Special cartridges. Loads can be had from .38 Special Target Wadcutters for small game to full power .357 loads for animals that aren't approachable in their wounded state. I have hunted and killed deer with one of these, as well as put down fully grown beef cows that have been mauled by coyotes during calving. I am not a big fan of the 32 ACP for anything other than self defense...

But I am not a discreet person.~Muir

i did have a .32 restricted to 2 shots but now ive got a 38/357 revolver using 357mag shells , again restricted to 2 shots , ive used it on muntys up to reds and does the job nicely and neatly !

cheers lee

I honestly don't know why stalkers get worked up into such a lather about handguns for dispach. In Germany I used to regularly carry my Dan Wesson 4" 357 Magnum just in case I had to deliver a finishing shot. Fortunately it was never needed and by the time I returned to UK the option had been largely removed by the banning of pistol ownership. If I still had the option my 357 would still be accompanying me every time I go out.
About 3 or 4 weeks ago I shot a fox and it managed to crawl into a large, dense patch of stinging nettles. Between me and the fox, which was only just visible (snarly teeth and frightened eyes) there was about 3' of tall nettles which would have made a pistol the most ideal firearm for finishing it off. As it was I had to hold my rifle out of the shoulder at arms length to fire down on the animal. It was awkward and firing the shot was uncomfortable because of the recoil. 1 or 2 quick shots from a pistol would have seen the job done, no fuss.

I honestly don't know why stalkers get worked up into such a lather about handguns for dispach. In Germany I used to regularly carry my Dan Wesson 4" 357 Magnum just in case I had to deliver a finishing shot. Fortunately it was never needed and by the time I returned to UK the option had been largely removed by the banning of pistol ownership. If I still had the option my 357 would still be accompanying me every time I go out.
About 3 or 4 weeks ago I shot a fox and it managed to crawl into a large, dense patch of stinging nettles. Between me and the fox, which was only just visible (snarly teeth and frightened eyes) there was about 3' of tall nettles which would have made a pistol the most ideal firearm for finishing it off. As it was I had to hold my rifle out of the shoulder at arms length to fire down on the animal. It was awkward and firing the shot was uncomfortable because of the recoil. 1 or 2 quick shots from a pistol would have seen the job done, no fuss.

why dont you put in a vaiation on your fac for one ?

Carrying a pistol for humane dispatch for deer, IF you have enough stalking and or are in an area with high deer RTA's is not unusual, and many constabularies allow those that have stalked enough to put one on their ticket.

However for dispatching a fox :eek: I would doubt they would agree, in fact it would set a precidence for everyone who controls Foxes.

However for dispatching a fox :eek: I would doubt they would agree, in fact it would set a precidence for everyone who controls Foxes.

No reason why not - as always 'good reason' must be proven.

"Paragraph 13.36 of Firearms Law - Guidance to the Police: Home Office 2002 recommends that
“The humane killing of sick or injured animals with a firearm is normally confined to those who may deal with such animals on a fairly regular basis. Examples would include veterinary surgeons, RSPCA Inspectors, hunt servants and occupiers of farms and smallholdings.” Although this section suggests that the majority of cases will apply to those who use a firearm professionally, it is clear from the language within it that it accepts that there will be others who fall outside of this class of people. The inclusion of the word “regular” does not equate to a frequent basis."

Full document downloadable from here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/2DB22D3A-BE08-44D5-AFE52DB6B141280A

No reason why not - as always 'good reason' must be proven.

"Paragraph 13.36 of Firearms Law - Guidance to the Police: Home Office 2002 recommends that
“The humane killing of sick or injured animals with a firearm is normally confined to those who may deal with such animals on a fairly regular basis. Examples would include veterinary surgeons, RSPCA Inspectors, hunt servants and occupiers of farms and smallholdings.” Although this section suggests that the majority of cases will apply to those who use a firearm professionally, it is clear from the language within it that it accepts that there will be others who fall outside of this class of people. The inclusion of the word “regular” does not equate to a frequent basis."

Full document downloadable from here:

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/document-summary.cfm/docid/2DB22D3A-BE08-44D5-AFE52DB6B141280A

All I can say is BEST OF LUCK. I will be suprised if any constabulary allows it !! But keep us informed if it happens.

I've personally no intention of applying for one specifically for that reason. But I wouldn't mind betting that there are already some pest controllers who have been authorised.

If I were lucky enough were to obtain a slot for a .410 shot pistol, for vermin control in and around confined areas, would it be ok to use it for dispatching an injured, or shot but not dead fox, or would that require a different condition ?

Neil. :)

why dont you put in a vaiation on your fac for one ?

That's simple Lee. I no longer have the money to spend on "toys" that I used to. My collection was largely acquired before I got a shed load of "grown up" commitments, mortgage, child, bills, all that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Back