Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gov want to protect big stags

gov want to protect big stags

certain members of parliament want to protect big stags similar to the one taken in devon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11633614

looks like some of the gov want to protect the stags now, and stop the shooting of stags

what ever next

All aboard the bandwagon!

Here's the first occupants:

"David Crausby, Labour MP for Bolton North, told BBC News: "It's an absolute outrage in my opinion that people should take pleasure from shooting such a magnificent animal." The motion has also been signed by Labour MPs Jim Dobbin and Michael Connarty, Liberal Democrat Bob Russell and Mark Durkan of the SDLP"

Any of your MPs there? Why not drop them a line asking if they might not have better things to do with their time.

Is deer management a pressing issue in the Colchester, Londonderry, Manchester or Bolton constituencies these gentlemen represent?

Guys we have been walking blind towards this for years.

All the bullsh*t about deer management and licensed marksmen etc.

Do you not realise it is only acceptable to shoot something if you are a professional paid to do it and take no enjoyment or pride in what you do?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Is it me or does something not ring true about the whole incident? I can't help wondering if someone has it in for the stalker, sporting rights owner or even land owner? Assuming the beast has been culled of course.

Those involved would be well advised to keep their heads down to avoid trouble with non law abiding animal rights nutters after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Guys we have been walking blind towards this for years.

All the bullsh*t about deer management and licensed marksmen etc.

Do you not realise it is only acceptable to shoot something if you are a professional paid to do it and take no enjoyment or pride in what you do?
    Exactly! and it's much more moral to only eat meat from animals kept in captivity, who have had no enjoyment in life, and who've been lined up and executed in a factory, waiting to smell death.. ha ha ha!

I enjoy shooting game, but always thank the game (in a non-freaky way!), and see every piece of pheasant, partridge, duck, venison, etc. as 'saving' an animal from 'the factory'.

Quote Originally Posted by goldypurple View Post
    certain members of parliament want to protect big stags similar to the one taken in devon.

looks like some of the gov want to protect the stags now, and stop the shooting of stags

what ever next
    the goverment will try to back anyhting that gets them voters be it right or wrong,I cant believe the amount of press this Stag is getting,its obvious to the individuals educated in the fieldsports that it was shot for a reason and done legally,it bolis my blood reading some of the comments "left to rot" "shot just for the trophy" these people have no idea.
    I know Mr MJ75 thinks the guy whos done it should lay low,I would tend to agree with him but in this case i feel he needs to make a statement to stop all this speculation from idiots who aint got a clue and think meat comes shrink wrapped on a carton from Tescos

Quote Originally Posted by goldypurple View Post

what ever next
    It is not the Government, it is 5 backbench MPs.
    3 Labour
    1 Lib Dem
    1 SDLP

I'm managing to stay relatively calm about this one. I can't see it going too far. It's got to be plainly obvious to all concerned that the only fact about this story is that 'the emporer hasn't been seen for a while, and there were shots heard nearby an area where he has previously been spotted' all very interesting stuff.

It's a non event that has been given the hype that any town orientated media love to maximise. Their target audiences I assume are largely animal lovers who have no understanding about what actually goes on outside of the M25.

I hope that it all goes quiet soon.

DC

Don't get wound up about this as it is not worth wasting any time over. These are just a few MPs trying to cash in on a "hot" issue. There is no possibility whatsoever that any government is going to waste valuable parliamentary time in legislating for not shooting some specific animals of a species that they agree has to be managed. Just think for a moment as to how you would enshrine this in law - it's ridiculous. To even get this as a proposed bill is going to require an MP with an interest drawing a Private Members Bill and getting Government support for it. It's never going to happen!!

The best they can do is to lay down what is called an Early Day Motion which a number of MPs might sign in support. This is not legislation and 99% of EDMs go no further and some are much more widely supported than this one will be. In a couple of weeks this will have all gone away.
    Last edited by paul k; 27-10-2010 at 20:36.