Thread: Deer numbers in south Ayrshire

Deer numbers in south Ayrshire

Hi
    I have been running a syndicate up south ayrshire for the past 4 years .
    After this hard winter we have just had what do you think the impact on the roe numbers was?
    Are you seeing less roe about, what kids are you seeing, has last winter effected your view on shooting of mature does this season.

just interested in your opinions on this as i believe south Ayrshire was one of the hardest hit.

ATB
    Cam

Quote Originally Posted by camathias View Post
    Hi
    After this hard winter we have just had what do you think the impact on the roe numbers was?
    Are you seeing less roe about, what kids are you seeing, has last winter effected your view on shooting of mature does this season.

just interested in your opinions on this as i believe south Ayrshire was one of the hardest hit.

ATB
    Cam
    hi,

what does your cull figures say so far mate in relation to the last four years

atb f.

Plenty of kids on my SA ground. What I'd expect TBH.

We found quite alot of dead roe kids in March/April, including two pairs of twins lying dead together, so yes, I think our doe cull will be much reduced on our lease this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

what does your cull figures say so far mate in relation to the last four years

atb f.
    hi m8

I have not finished the does this year so cull figures are not a factor. As the bad weather was last winter we will not see the out come till the end of the doe season

ATB
    Cam

hi m8

I have not finished the does this year so cull figures are not a factor. As the bad weather was last winter we will not see the out come till the end of the doe season

ATB
    Cam
    hi,

the request was for your cull total to date in comparison for the last four, the cold didn't just affect the doe's. the original post meant to say that and i assume you have misunderstood the DOES in my post.

atb f.

Hi

ATB
    Cam
    Hi I have the Roe stalking on one of the islands off the west coast, we had hard frost last winter[unusual for the islands] but no snow in fact the roe faired better last winter than normal,wet weather will bring down their condition far quicker than the cold will.
    Good calving with more twins than normal so will need to increase my doe cull slightly this year.
    If you had a lot of snow for a long period you might not have faired as well,depends on the type of ground you have
    could they get shelter could they get access to food, as said already the cold won't affect them much provided its dry cold,cold and wet well thats a different ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

the request was for your cull total to date in comparison for the last four, the cold didn't just affect the doe's. the original post meant to say that and i assume you have misunderstood the DOES in my post.

atb f.
    Its only the 27th of october!. He's only had 6 days at it !.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiehallion View Post
    Its only the 27th of october!. He's only had 6 days at it !.
    goodness me, read what i asked please guys. the snow thawed in feburary eh.
    he has like me been shooting since then. four years same ground well work it out.

example, last four i shot 23 by now both bucks and doe's, todate i have shot 15. they are down. or he has shot 33 they are up.

i cant understand why anyone asks this question which has been asked 20 times in the last three months without stating there own position.
    i wanted to know what he experienced so far.

no offences meant

frank

If its a sindicate then i would contact your Ranger and ask what he thinks down that way was hard hit if it was forrestry ground not much food above the snow line for weeks . PS its not a lease now its a control tender. The policy of the FC is to get the trees away so shoot what you see or whatch your back. lmfao.