Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optics for .308

Optics for .308

Can any 308 shooters recommend a scope. I have been looking at a few but all seem pricey so I want to get the right one first time.It will probalby be going onto a Tika or CZ..I have been told to buy Gernman but to stay away from Jap manufacters..

Hi BigRed,

A friend of mine had a Styr .308 and changed his scope only once - just because he bought a .22-250 and put the original .308 scope onto the .22-250.

The one he settled on for the .308 was the Schmidt and Bender 8 x 56 manufactured in Hungary. He never had a problem with that set up for stalking purposes. He's now got a swaro on a Blaser but now I'm digressing...

I also have an S&B hungarian 8x56 and again, can't fault it for the money. Excellent early and late in the day. New price is circa 550 I think and second hand about 350. You'd want to shop around - that wont be an accurate estimate. The dross hairs are simple and not cluttered, they are not too thin or too thick and the adjustment is suitable for stalking ranges at 10mm per click.

I wont be changing unless I get a lottery win or a large inheritance and I fancy a change to the dream leagues of top line swaro or Kahles.

DC

Call this guy:

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/optical.htm

Buy one of the SH or ex demo's scopes by Swarovski or Kahles. 600 - 800 buys a very good scope.

Do not scrimp on scopes. I would sooner have a SH rifle at 300 - 400 and a decent scope than a good rifle with a cheap scope. Budget 100 for mounts also.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have an S&B 8x56 on my t3. Got it second hand. Can't fault it. I used it the other night on a full moon no problems at all, let alone in day light.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Call this guy:

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/optical.htm

Buy one of the SH or ex demo's scopes by Swarovski or Kahles. 600 - 800 buys a very good scope.

Do not scrimp on scopes. I would sooner have a SH rifle at 300 - 400 and a decent scope than a good rifle with a cheap scope. Budget 100 for mounts also.
    I was also told this by dealer cheaper rifle ( CZ ) and put more money into scope .Rather than buying a Tika or Sako and putting cheap scope on..

I've only ever used my .308 with a Schmidt & Bender 6x42, which I bought second-hand. I use it for hill-stalking.

Red,

The rule I was told when I kitted myself out was not to scrimp on the scope and if I needed to save money, do so on the rifle rather than the glass on top.

This begs the question of what is a "decent" scope and how much to spend on one. The concensus at the time was that the fixed power Schmidt and Benders are excellent value for money and well up to the job. I got a mint secondhand 8 x 56 Hungarian for 365 off a private guy who advertised it on Guntrader. That was perhaps at the high end of the secondhand price range but it was unmarked and came with the covers, in the box with all documents etc. I've been very pleased with it.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Red

Echoing Dovebob's comments. I was advised when starting off to spend more on the scope than on the rifle, which I did. Good scopes hold their value much better than good rifles, unfortunately.

Rgds JCS

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/101019213420000

Look at the rifle in the link. It is a top quality older Sako, looks little used.

Rifle is 595. For another 375 the guy will chuck in a SH Swaro plus mounts. It is already chopped to 20" and threaded. It is a much better rifle than a CZ or Tikka T3 at any price. All you need to is add a mod. You are out the door for under a grand ready to shoot, with a rifle and scope combo that will only go up in value. If you find the scope a little small, you can sell it for 350 any day.

I am not saying "buy this", but you can regularly find kit of this type at around this sort of money. You don't need to rush into this and commit to a rifle today.

When are you doing the DSC1?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

S&B 3-12x50 would be absolutely peachy!!