Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things economic, generally.

Things economic, generally.

As many of us who stalk, do it as a treat, rather than those who are blessed with it as an encumbrance ! How many of you , like me, have seen an improvement in industry, as opposed to those idiots on the telly who keep talking it down, I'm presently sat in front of this box suffering from a blast in the right eye, those of you who weld or are in metalworking will know what that is,........... I have just had two weeks work returning to Class One driving, delivering & collecting from heavy industries around the north west, at one particular client's premise there are so many welders working in the place there's no room for screens!.. A scene repeated in more than a few workshops!.... a good omen for the future?......... I reckon it might be for my stalking!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I totally agree, my role takes me around some heavy industries. Last year we saw a well known company pay off about 70% of their engineering staff. I was back recently and had to park in the overflow carpark they are busier than ever.

Yep, definately picked up where i work mate.

I work for Corus, or as it now known as TATA. last year we lost a good 3rd of our workforce and i did consider taking my redundancy myself. Now, we have employed agency workers to try and keep up with demand and the increase in shifts, and i have to say we are getting offered overtime too. There is talk of these guys being set on perminently, but i think the managment will hang fire at the moment to see how things pan out with the talk of this double dip the doom mongerers keep going an about.

wadas

I think you will find it is spare baggage that is getting the chop this time round. The creators are a lot safer than the penpushers that have fought for years to justify their own existance. It comes to something when threr are more penpushers in a hospital than medical staff. Each counil department head is usually duplicated in a head office where the secretary has a clerical assistant to ensure he/she does not run out of paper clips and the director does not have to stand up to scatch is ---------
    Better leave it there before I start on the .ankers,
    Jim

hi finnbear i agree we have been flat out for months now its hard to fit everything in.the last time i got a flash i managed to get some drops off the wife who is a nurse and one drop it takes all the scratchyness away unlike the usual gunk they put in and blurs the vision,wayne

That's great news- I co-own a dental laboratory, and 2010 has not met our expectations. We were hoping to expand, and instead we recently were at the verge of making staff redundant. But as with all things in our line, it will take a while before we feel a real improvement. Let's hope 2011 exceeds our expectations.

Jakes

This time last year I was starting to worry, November was dire, December was dead as it is most years, First half of January was written off due to snow, second half not much better.... Then Tax bill arrives.... EEK how do I pay that?
    For the first time in 10yrs of self employment I was late paying and you would have thought I'd half inched the crown jewels, treated like a criminal... threats of bailiffs. Managed to pay eventually but now have a low credit rating.
    Things started to pick up around the end of March and touch wood we are still meeting and exceeding targets
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I have a day job working for a global financial institution (Not one that needed bailing out due to bad practise before the whingers start) and after having real concerns over the last year things are really picking up. We picked up lots of business from failing financial institutions and are now lending more than others in many sectors, so I too think things are looking up.

I also own my business (Started as a hobby thing and snowballed) and our sales are increasing steadily. So I'm always suspicious when I read the media reports about recession etc. We also dabble in the BTL market, and while the property prices may have dipped a bit in recent times, the lettings market in our area is positively booming. A house can be rented out in 2 weeks at a rate not seen since we started doing this. I reckon that mortgages will become more readily available once all the **** banks have paid back the money they owe the government and have more to lend to the general public. Rental income will decrease as more people can buy. But prices will inevitably rise. I really do think there are some great deals to be had right now property wise if you can get onboard.

I reckon this thread might warrant a name change, "Positive waves, Man!"
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    I reckon that mortgages will become more readily available once all the **** banks have paid back the money they owe the government and have more to lend to the general public. Rental income will decrease as more people can buy. But prices will inevitably rise. I really do think there are some great deals to be had right now property wise if you can get onboard.
    if you look at data over a number of years then the average price to average income multiples are still historically high. i work with graduates that are earning just shy of national average wages, their partners earning the same. these people (typical first time buyers) can hardly afford a night out after paying rent and bills let alone thinking of buying. i hope for their sake ( and the sake of my kids) that the banks do not lend at the stupid (fraudulent) levels that they had been lending at pre crunch and that prices get back to normal income multiple levels. im glad that things are looking up on the job front for you, im not doom and gloom but the house price thing is crippling our youth and reducing their aspirations and expectations.

this is a stalking forum and to leep things "on topic" i bought a swaro 4-12x50 av yesterday and its ace.