replying to threads

Not the first time it has happened to me, just wrote quite a long reply to one of the threads and when I went to post it I had been logged out and was politely asked to refresh the page and log back in. Did so, only to find all the info I wanted to post is gone, Spent quite some time typing all that info with two fingers and a cup of coffee and don't have the will to do it all over again.

Why does this happen, can I do anything to avoid it:confused:

ATB

Ade

When I have spent a long time thinking about and typing a balanced and well-considered/verbose, pompous, high-handed and wrong (delete as applicable) reply, I take the precaution of highlighting it all and pressing 'copy' before submitting. That way, if I find I have been 'timed out', I just log back in and paste the whole unreadably-bilious offering back in.

Hey presto: Dalua's copy'n'paste rant-preserver!

It happens because whilst you are typing a reply your browser isn't actually requesting anything from the server and so the site sees you as inactive. If you are seen as inactive for more than 15 minutes then it logs you out. If you want to disable the 15 minute timeout then tick the 'remember me' tick box when you log in.

Dalua's tip is also a good one, especially if the reply is long!

Alex

When I have spent a long time thinking about and typing a balanced and well-considered/verbose, pompous, high-handed and wrong (delete as applicable) reply, I take the precaution of highlighting it all and pressing 'copy' before submitting. That way, if I find I have been 'timed out', I just log back in and paste the whole unreadably-bilious offering back in.

Hey presto: Dalua's copy'n'paste rant-preserver!

Just wanted to add that as a bit of a nerd I post on quite a few different forums for my various interests and they nearly all have the 15 minute time out feature. The copy'n'paste rant-preserver (patent pending Dalua?!) is web forum "Best Practice"!

Not the first time it has happened to me, just wrote quite a long reply to one of the threads and when I went to post it I had been logged out and was politely asked to refresh the page and log back in. Did so, only to find all the info I wanted to post is gone, Spent quite some time typing all that info with two fingers and a cup of coffee and don't have the will to do it all over again.

Lucky you are a two finger typist I'm only one

Back