Tape your muzzle!

When stalking on foot especially when its wet (as your more likely to slip) be sure to tape your muzzle with a piece of insulating tape to make sure your barrel is kept free from any debris and clogs etc the tape will have no affect at all on your shot and will help avoid any mishaps.

I always put a strip of electrical tape over the end of my barrell when it is raining too, stops water getting in the barrell and throwing the bullet when I'm lining up that 18 pointer:smug:

OK, as a bit of a thick newbie can I ask is there any particular tape that is prefferable to use so that it will release when the shot is fired or should the tape be removed before the shot is fired (Leaving an opportunity to for get to do this)?
I'n not being awkward, I am just trying to learn as much as possible from you much more experienced guys!

Frenchie, the column of air in the barrel in front of the bullet will push the tape off, no matter how good it is!, just try holding your thumb over the end of a bicycle pump whilst using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, as a bit of a thick newbie can I ask is there any particular tape that is prefferable to use so that it will release when the shot is fired or should the tape be removed before the shot is fired (Leaving an opportunity to for get to do this)?
I'n not being awkward, I am just trying to learn as much as possible from you much more experienced guys!

Ordinary plastic electrician's tape does fine. One piece over the muzzle then a couple of wraps round the end of the barrel to hold it in place. I try and steer clear of bright colours, specially reds and yellows, though I don't know if that even matters.

Just shoot through the tape, no worries.

A target shooting pal tells me he favours using target patches, whatever keeps the water, rain and snow out is a good idea. The effect of water in the barrel can be quite significant in throwing a bullet off target.

i have always used electricians tape just one small square over the hole does great and you dont have to worry about crap in the barrel or water look on youtube at people that have plugged their barrel with mud or had water in ,frightening what can happen,wayne

I use black duct tape over the end of my moderator, it's wide enough to cover all of the end.

ft

A condom!
Apparantly! Although this may well be a myth perpetrated by experienced stalkers to mislead young innocent novices ie me!

I always use a bit of electrical tape over the end of the barrel or mod.
Recently I was out stalking through a fir wood with a mate when I noticed a twig protruding no more than 10mm out of the top of his moderator. The twig was removed and found to be about 180mm long. Had he taken a shot without noticing this I wonder what the consequences might have been.

Interesting to notice it was a stainless rifle. Stainless seems more brittle that chrome vanadium steel. Rememeber the debeacle witht eh Tikks after Berreta got in charge and the stainless ones splitting just like that one. Anyone notice the make of the rifle?

Also did you notice he had trouble closing the bolt properly............................ I wonder if it was the right cartridge being chambered?

+ 1 on the latex glove finger.
Brit It looks very much like a sako ooh err !

Last edited:
Some of my stalking is in pine forest and I have noticed that after walking under the trees etc. I often have some of the little spikey pine leaves on my coat. It occured to me that a pine needle in the barrel would probably not be a good thing and might cause a barrel burst. So, I now put a bit of tape over the end of my mod whether it is raining or not.

Or use one of the fingers off a pair of old latex gloves.

I have a pack of a couple of dozen cheap latex gloves which to be honest are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard - they seem to split as soon as you put your hand in them, so this seems a perfect use for them! Do you just cut one finger off and slide it over the muzzle or do you use a little tape or an elastic band to hold it in place please?
Any advice please guys?

I like that latex glove idea. Up til now I've buying the rubber finger cots ( minature condoms) to cover injured fingers from the pharmacy and using them.

Back