DIY shooting sticks

Ive made loads of these folding sticks for myself and others and found them to be very effective in single and double styles, there made from garden stakes and bicycle wheel inner tubing..

EXCUSE THE DRAWING LOL

sticks.....jpg

Seen the stakes online here Gardman Garden Stake Green, 07908

I find the double ones work really well and give you a good steady shot, there made simply by putting the inner tubing around two sticks about 10" from the top and to make the double ones simply make two sets and join them at the bottoms with more inner tubing.

Ive made loads of these folding sticks for myself and others and found them to be very effective in single and double styles, there made from garden stakes and bicycle wheel inner tubing..

EXCUSE THE DRAWING LOL

View attachment 3161

Seen the stakes online here Gardman Garden Stake Green, 07908

I find the double ones work really well and give you a good steady shot, there made simply by putting the inner tubing around two sticks about 10" from the top and to make the double ones simply make two sets and join them at the bottoms with more inner tubing.

sorry to steal your thunder on that one mate , been using them for years and been covered on the sd 101 times !

cheers lee

If using double crossed sticks or as some call them quad sticks. Trim down the end of the rear stick that points towards the shooter flush with the top of the stock. Doing so allows you to shoot without having the end of the stick, sticking out across your face and eye. No pun intended.

I'm gonna give this quad-stick thingy a go this weeekend, just for the fun of it..I'm usually happy with just cross-sticks, but let's see..do you place the butt (of the rifle..) in the back sticks, or put it behind the trigger area?

I put the back sticks just in front of the trigger guard as the sticks can poke you in the face if the butt is resting on them.

Mulac

If using double crossed sticks or as some call them quad sticks. Trim down the end of the rear stick that points towards the shooter flush with the top of the stock. Doing so allows you to shoot without having the end of the stick, sticking out across your face and eye. No pun intended.
I am right handed and have the left rear stick trimmed by ~2 inches, however it supports the stock to the rear of the swivel. As per attached photo (not me). For good control over elevation, the front and rear supports need to be as far apart from each other as possible. Ideally with a stutzen the four sticks would support the butt and the muzzle. Rgds JCS

Last edited:
Reflecting my brief stint at sea, the tops of the left hand sticks are finished off with red electrical tape. Rgds JCS

RCL

Well done for posting and it doesn't matter that it has been covered before.

I have a set but not using inner tube.

How do you tie the inner tube at top and bottom of each set of sticks?

Do you do a figure 8 around each stick and tie off or just simply tie any old knot around each one?

Thanks

JB

i bought these last week at b in a queue. they were selling a rubber strap next to them which i used to fix everything together.

JCS

Thanks for the reply and sorry to sound thick and a pain in the a**e but am I right in thinking you thread the tie wraps through a very fine piece of inner tube? Then thread all of that through a thicker piece of inner tube? Then tighten the tie wraps? If so does it all stay in place i.e. does it not move up and down the 2 sticks or does the rubber prevent this?

As I say apologies for sounding thick just that it sounds like a good practical system and will go and source all the bits and pieces this weekend to put together.

Thanks

Jon

I was thinking I'd do what I do with my cross sticks, just drill a hole and stick a thin screw with a washer and nut through:-|

I was thinking I'd do what I do with my cross sticks, just drill a hole and stick a thin screw with a washer and nut through:-|

Exactly though a small nut and bolt is better than a screw and if you want a tripod attach a strip of leather to the end of the screw aka bolt attach other end of leather strip to a third stick around 4 inches shorter than the first two
much quicker to set up than the inner tube hoover belts etc. also has the advantage that it can be used for standing kneeling sitting just by pushing the sticks apart you can adjust to whatever height you want in secs.

Back