Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The cost of decent optics

The cost of decent optics

So I am starting to look around for a decent scope to put on this re-built BSA and was thinking about a 6x42 so did a bit of web surfing and once I picked myself up off the floor began wondering when the prices took such a hike . Last one I brought a S&B 6x42 German, F.A Anderson was selling them at around 330, OK it was a while ago now but over 700 for one now Seems Zeiss might even be cheaper new .

It seem the best prices may be a Meopta 2000 in 6x42 if new is considered however to raise those kinds of funds would take months so we will have to hope to fall over a nice used 6x42 scope in the new year. once I can gather some funds together for one.

Meanwhile will have to send off the couple of scopes that need a service/repair. On one a 6x42 as it happens of no name make the little pin which locates the fast focus eye piece broke allowing the eye piece to come backwards under recoil. Brought this scope new in 89 so it's served well. the other is the the Titan 3-9x42 which has the windage indicator jammed to one side, came like this on a rifle I brought so might as well get it sorted out but will still need a scope for the .280 BSA .

I also noticed it's getting harder to find new fixed mag scopes

Go with the Meopta and don't look back.

I like their glass, though I will admit it's not in the same class as the German bruisers, and the scope itself is a hard as nails.

I am assuming the BSA will be a stalking rifle?

S&B, Zeiss yeh ok but for those prices you can get a brand new top end lifetime guarentee bushnell elite and have plenty of change. Now I've played with most optics and people I shoot with have all the euro named optics but side by side on the range and looking through each others glass, you can see them sratching to justify all that extra cash spend on their optics when the bushy is just as good as anything they bring to the party.

There comes a point in modern manufacture where glass doesn't get any clearer to the human eye whether it's German or Japanese. You don't have to have a Europosh name on the scope to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    S&B, Zeiss yeh ok but for those prices you can get a brand new top end lifetime guarentee bushnell elite and have plenty of change. Now I've played with most optics and people I shoot with have all the euro named optics but side by side on the range and looking through each others glass, you can see them sratching to justify all that extra cash spend on their optics when the bushy is just as good as anything they bring to the party.

There comes a point in modern manufacture where glass doesn't get any clearer to the human eye whether it's German or Japanese. You don't have to have a Europosh name on the scope to get there.
    I'm in full agreement with you Paul, I have an across the board range of the top makers scopes & bino's, my secret favourite is a Bushnell Elite mil dot fixed ten mag..... followed closely by a Burris Fullfield with bdc reticle, this lies on top of the .270 & is a great scope.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Yeh, the Fixed 10 power is a beast

I'm in the market for a scope for my 30-06 for deer and pigs. Being a fussy tw+t naturally I want the best, but that costs ! Then there's the night shooting complication where the pigs are concerned. So what do I do......? Stick with the tried and trusted 8x56 S&B, or play around with something else with an IR. Or just pop a new fandangle green laser atop of it ????? Don't want to make a costly mistake and regret buying a less recognised brand knowing they big boys do perform but I would like a bargain too. I could get the 8x56 and a laser for the same price as a variable Schmitzeissovski with all the added advantages. Sort of answered my own question ther really didn't I !
    Was watching the Fieldsports channel the other day, does anybody know what new innovation Zeiss are bringing out next year ????????????
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

Brit, Have you looked at Macleods of Tain recently, they have some ex-demo scopes for sale. I know it can be expensive when you start finding bargains, but try not to look at the rifles and just look at the S/H Optics

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

A few years ago I had bought a new Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50, unpacked it and compared
    it to my 4-16x50 and 8x56 S&B's, .......packed the Leupold back up and sold it next day.
    A Zeiss conquest is optically much better at a similar price.
    Newer S&B's are optically better than old ones.
    Bino's; I have the top of the range Japanese 8x42 Vortex Razor which are very good, but
    comparing them to a set of German Kaps or Leica HD shows a slight difference.
    The new Kaps weigh a third less have the same field of view and are much shorter.
    Optically brighter.
    At the moment German and Austrian optics are still top.

edi

I think the thing to bear in mind when comparing an S&B or another top end scope with a cheaper alternative is that in low light, the cheaper scope will not compare to the more expensive European ones.

I agree, on the range looking at a piece of white paper in broad daylight they all look the same, but you take a Nikon or a Bushnell into a field at dusk or dawn and compare it with a Schmidt then. Then you will see the difference. If you are shooting deer or other animals that you have potentially driven a long way or paid a fair ammount of money to shoot, then having a clear scope, and being able to see the reticle clearly in low light could be the difference between a shot or a blank trip.

A decent scope need not break the bank. I bought a second hand Variable German Schmidt on here for under 500.

AAAHH! Yes , shooting at the very end of the usable light,.............. I remember it well!, the Imperial my buddy took, just scraping in legally, light wise, .......YUP!, it was still there in the morning, luckily untouched by the ravens, as we were unable to move it between the two of us!& it was also considered too dangerous to bring in mechanical means of recovery to this particular spot in the dark.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!