Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late rut or lack of stags

Late rut or lack of stags

Just putting a bit of thought into the ground we manage and this year the rut just does'nt seem to have got going or happened, has anybody else found this??
    To add to this the big stags that we only tend to see during the rut hav'nt turned up making me think this could be a factor (or maybe they are just late).
    Maybe people further down have been shooting the big stags out??

That's what has happened in much of the Monhadlith's and Grampians, maybe we lost more older stags in the winter than we thought??

You finally get some grouse and then the worst rut for decades!

ATB
    Nick

Account Suspended
    View my Gallery (35)View my Gallery (35)
    up north i went round with the game dealers to see whays happening.No stags competing,no mature stags and the ones left were getting shot as estates
    need deer for the clients,the policies were all going out oh the window.stalkers were down 60% in some places,thousands died in which it will take years to recover,there was no stags belowing hardly,stalkers were saying maybe the hinds havnt come into season.i didnt think it was bad south of the border ?

Rob

Reds, well it was a but pish a north of inverness but the sika had been on form around lairg.

Stags holding hinds + roaring near Kingussie on Saturday. Was only there grouse beating unfortunately.
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

here in the new forest the stags have been with hinds for 3 weeks,no great event this year,not that much roaring and the competition has been non existant!!

stag has been holding 40 odd hinds no problem,even the youngsters dont seem interested in bothering to annoy the master stag,very strange rut indeed!!!

Hearing stags here, though not in full swing last year was early for us, the year before that no serious roaring until the 10th of October, observing the rut over the years first week in October is the average start time here, so still time.

Just came back from my yearly trip on mull, stags rutting there fine.

M

A lot of deer have been killed in certain areas for trees and grouse, now the stalking estates close by are really struggling for deer. Don't know if your in an area that has been affected by these policies Bogtrotter.

Quote Originally Posted by roebuck220 View Post
    A lot of deer have been killed in certain areas for trees and grouse, now the stalking estates close by are really struggling for deer. Don't know if your in an area that has been affected by these policies Bogtrotter.
    No I am not, but know what you are referring to know of one Angus moor which used to hold a lot of deer, now there are none and I mean none.