Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gralloching Time after shot

Gralloching Time after shot

What is the time that a deer has to be gralloched within once shot?????

no set time.

at the first opportunity would suffice.

Ive shot fallow and muntjac in a morning session up a high seat, they were lying an hour before being gralloched.

No harm to the carcass but sooner would be better.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Is there not a time stated when you carry out the level 1

idealy within 30 mins but as soon as you can...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Yan View Post
    Is there not a time stated when you carry out the level 1
    If there was I dont remember.

Are you looking for an answer for your test?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Account Suspended
    You should look for your deer after 15 minutes but I would gralloch it within 30 minutes.

No I was out the other day with several people and one of the FC rangers said it was 1 hr, when i did my level one about 8 yrs ago I was sure it was half hr but the FC ranger said an hr. a couple of the local lads Ive spoke to also said half hr and one lad only sat his level one about 3 months ago.

You should look for your deer after 15 minutes but I would gralloch it within 30 minutes.

This is what I always thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    CAM
    I feel there is a lot more to take into consideration before making such a statement
    I would suggest depending on how you feel the shot placement was and how the deer reacted to the shot , would determine if I waited 15 mins or even an hour+ before looking,
    as some deer just drop on the spot in full view at distances that even the naked eye can detect if there is any signs of life or not , others just run and you hav no idea if it was dead on it's feet or gut shot 15 mins may not be long enough for a gut shot to stiffen up , so in reality it could possibly after 15 mins get up and run again
    But depending on weather conditions the sooner you can gralloch the better ,

Bleed at the first opportunity. DSC1 say you should Graloch within 30 mins but that is a sensible guide line; on the hottest day of the year you want to do it quicker than that and spread the chest to aid cooling -8 you can leave it a fir bit longer and don’t worry about spreading the chest.

Dave