Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liability insurance for selling venison?

Liability insurance for selling venison?

After a bit of a fraught year, I'm finally sorting out the last bits and pieces to bring my larder / coldroom up to scratch, sort out my HACCAP plans and register as a food business operator with the very helpful Herefordshire Council. This isn't really as a commercial enterprise, given I will only process around 30-40 carcasses a year at most - it's more for my own entertainment and to enable me to legitimately supply processed venision to a limited number of paying customers.

My question is, even if I'm only slightly extending from supplying friends and family (that is, people unlikely to sue me), it seems sensible in these litigious times to have some form of liability insurance in case I screw up and inadvertently cause a food poisoning outbreak , so what do you guys running similar micro-enterprises do for liability cover? I vaguely recall reading recently, possibly on here, that someone had difficulty finding affordable cover because they were the 'primary source' of the venison, i.e. shooting it themselves.

Where should I look and what should I expect to pay for a one man, part time, trained-hunter-exemption operation in environmental health approved premises? PM me if you don't want to talk about business costs on the open forum, as I could really do with a steer.

Thanks,

Adam.

With regard to affordable insurance, that sounds like me. The cheapest quote so far is £ 1600, but like you we are doing everything by the book but insurance prices like that just aren't feasable conpared to the amount of venison sold.
    Griff mentioned giving the federation of small businesses a try, so will look into that.
    I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    With regard to affordable insurance, that sounds like me. The cheapest quote so far is £ 1600, but like you we are doing everything by the book but insurance prices like that just aren't feasable conpared to the amount of venison sold.
    Griff mentioned giving the federation of small businesses a try, so will look into that.
    I'd be interested to know how you get on.
    £1600 seems mad - a friend runs a fair sized cafe / bistro that also sells a range of cooked food products for home use and his liability insurance covering 14 staff is £750 via his Barclay's business account. I may have a word with CIS as I've had personal and business accounts with the Co-op for the last 25 years.

Did you have to fill in a massive questionnaire to get that quote or did you not get that far? The last time I got a detailed quote, when I ran a consultancy, the liability quotation form was about 40 pages long and covered all aspects of training, experience, risk mitigation etc which I had to complete before the insurer could give me a proper figure for an insurance policy. Even so, it seems ridiculous that you can get £10,000,000 of liability cover to shoot the beast yourself and professional indemnity cover for another £40 if you take someone else to shoot it, but it will cost you 20 times that amount for liability cover to sell the meat...

Adam.

Public liability and product liability insurance is required, or as they say 'your home could be at risk!'
    Cheers
    Richard

The insurance quote was through a broker and several insurance companies came back with the cheapest being £1600.
    Appaerantly the insurance was so high due to the fact that we are sourcing the product so therefore we are the end of the line, the book stops with us.
    However I will be looking elsewhere as Griff suggested.

Selling Venison

Guys

I am sure that I only pay a little more than this at the moment & we are a small dealer processing about 1000 bodies & 15,000 birds a year, the policy covers all of our trading at Farmers Markets, our direct sales to catering, stock in transit, & equipment at the main plant & 3 other seperate deer larders that we manage on different estates.

This also includes PL cover for up to £5 million for both chilled pre packed & hot ready to eat food at events during the summer months.

Our cover is with NFU, give them a try.

Regards Lee

Account Suspended
    This is a right old chestnut.

Its also something the stalking community is only just starting to get to grips with it. There is a world of difference between Public Liability and Professional Liability Insurance.

Not only in what each policy covers you for but also in what they will cost.

Public Liability insurance is relatively cheap mainly because theres are lots of buyers and the risk, subject to the type of business you are, is relatively low for the insurance underwriters.
    Professional Liability insurance is costly for exactly the opposite reasons.
    To be fully insured for all eventualities you require both. Regardless of what type of business and how irregular or how small the business activity might be.

Many commercial stalking providers still believe, quite wrongly that they only require Public Liability insurance. Professional Liabity insurance for businesses involved in sport shooting is often frightenly expensive. I would advise anyone purchasing any form of shooting to ask the commercial provider to supply a copy of both their Pubic Liability and Professional Liability insurance policies. Those commercial providers that ask why or can only provide a copy of their Public Liability policy should be viewed with the utmost caution.

The cheapest way to purchase both forms of insurance is to join a professional association relevant to your business type. Broad blanket type insurance policies that might be offered by unassociated groups, federations, and organisations to their members that have wide ranging business types and interests. Whilst at first glance might appear slightly cheaper. Are usually only offering very basic cover with a large number of get out clauses for the underwriters. They are often offered more as a way of attracting potential new members rather than providing decent comprehensive risk coverage.

As neither insurances are compulsory requirement by law. It is a judgement call that has to be made by the business. Personally in today's litigious world I wouldn't trade without them both. Especially as the no win, no fee lawyers numbers grow daily.

I personally feel we might be all getting a little bit carried away here? Crazy money like 1600 quid a year is going to completely stop the average recreational stalker form operating. It is not a legal requirement (yet), so is it really necessary? If you are registered and all HACCAP principles are in place, then you should have no worries. Limited venison production is deemed as a 'low risk' operation compared to meats such as pork and poultry.
    Unless you are proved directly responsilble for a Ecoli outbreak or similar, it would be very difficult for an individual to pin a bout of food poisoning on you without hard evidence. Many cases are down to how the final consumer treat or cook food after purchase anyway! I think if you are registered, with good procedures in place then you shouldn't worry too much.
    I sell most of my stuff to the final consumer vacuum packed and frozen to ensure that it left me in the best condition possible. How it is treated after that is out of my control.
    It is a worry admittedly, but I like to think I could prove that I had done all I could to prevent problems arising.
    I don't have cover as you may have guessed by now!
    One of lifes calculated risks I suppose and a good incentive to keep ones standards as high as possible!
    MS

Hi Ms.
    I tend to agree with most of what you say but for the sake of £ 100 imo its not worth not having PL for peace of mind (if we can get it for £100). As you state it is highly unlikely that the outbreak or problem would be down to us but its the hassle along the way and the fact we would have to fight a potential legal case singlehanded.

I asked the EHO about complants etc and the bottom line is it didn't matter how it was treated after it left our premises/market we would be quilty until we could prove otherwise!! As you state with haccap plans in place etc you do have some angle of an argument.

Its like the fact as mentioned no training is needed for a haccap plan, however when we looked further into it should there be a serious problem ecoli etc (I know its low risk and highly unlikely), then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, hence the reason we did the training (about £250 a head), just covering our backsides, investments etc.
    Regards
    Maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    Hi Ms.
    I tend to agree with most of what you say but for the sake of £ 100 imo its not worth not having PL for peace of mind (if we can get it for £100). Maxwell
    If you can find cover for £ 100, let me know and I'll do It, but I doubt very much that you will.
    Good luck though!
    MS