Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steyr-Mannlicher V Sako.

Steyr-Mannlicher V Sako.

With the arrival of my FAC hopefully due on the horizon within the next few weeks I took a market research trip today to look at some rifles.
    I had initially decided a Sako 85 would be the rifle I would most likely end up with but on my visit to a gun dealer today I was introduced to the Steyr-Mannlicher Classic half stock.
    The Sako is a popular rifle as we know and a decent tool for the job but the Steyr also has it's appeal.
    Both are good looking rifles but the Steyr is a prettier gun. The Sako action was very loose and rattled whereas the Steyr was tight and felt nice to operate. Sako has a metal magazine, Steyr a plastic one.
    Also the scope option is another dilemma, a Schmidt & Bender 8x56 or a Zeiss 3-9x50?
    The package deal offered on both rifles were within a couple of hundred pounds with the Steyr coming out slightly cheaper.
    I would be interested to hear any thoughts, opinions, pros, cons, regarding these two rifle/scope combinations, if one would be more preferable to you and why.

Thank you for any help/advice in advance.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Steyr = ugly

not sure where you get pretty from. that butt stock went out of fashion with the cowboys

the Classic light is the best looking of the lot though. but id rather not go out with the best looking of the ugly sisters. especially when im spending 1100+

the sako bolt might feel loose due to it being an open action rather than a ejection port. this stops top loading of the mag.

the Tikka T3 is closer in design to the Steyr than the Sako 85.
    Last edited by Hornady; 01-11-2010 at 15:56.

The Sako will probably hold its value better. I use an S&B 8X56, and would recommend it. Not sure what model the Zeiss is, but there is a new lower priced range which I think has attracted some adverse comments on here.

Never had a Sako,but mate has one in .243 and seems very happy with it as am i with my classic half stock in .308, has a Swarro varipower on top and is a Very accurate rifle.. Dont suppose this helps your dillema really

I've got a Sako 75 Hunter, and I believe the 85 is pretty similar, just the new version. I think the Sako is one of the sweetest off the shelf rifles I have ever shot, it's very good looking, good quality, and very accurate. The bolt is a little loose (not in a negative way), but it's better than tight and sticky, plus it makes it easy to recycle another round!

I can highly recommend the Sako, and having a S&B fixed on it, I can of course highly recommend that too. everyone I know using variable scopes leave it on 6x anyway

The Steyr I have never shot, but I was told it may need retrospective pillar bedding if you fit a bipod, as there's not enough free-float between the factory stock and the barrell - if that's the case, bear the extra cost and work in mind...maybe that's why it's for sale..

I had no such problem when fitting a bipod,the rifle and scope are used on driven boar,elg hunting trips where a fixed mag scope unless a low mag is pretty useless

Mannlichers can have there issues, if you look back over some of the old threads you will see what I mean. The old M72 and SSG were good rifles, the new ones appeal because they are comparatively cheap.

The Mannlichers have had problems with flexi forends, not feeding from the mag’ the SBS bolt is not to everybody’s liking, the accuracy can take some sorting out, all of this has been covered in old threads.

I have three friends that have/had Mannlichers, one has a UltraLight and loves it, another had a classic and it was a devil to get any decent groupings out of it, it went and he got a Sako 85, the other mate had a full length stock carbine, he had wanted one for years, he had so much trouble with it that in the end he would not sell it private and traded it for a Sako 75 finlight.

Then of cause there was the rumor about Mannlicher selling 5 millon pounds worth of 50 cal’ sniper rifles to the Iranian Republican Guard, the USA tried to block the export license, but the Germans got round it by saying they were for Police action only.

You try and find a bad thing said about a Sako.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Thar; 01-11-2010 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Mannlichers can have there issues, if you look back over some of the old threads you will see what I mean. The old M72 and SSG were good rifles, the new ones appeal because they are comparatively cheap.

The Mannlichers have had problems with flexi forends, not feeding from the mag’ the SBS bolt is not to everybody’s liking, the accuracy can take some sorting out, all of this has been covered in old threads.

I have three friends that have/had Mannlichers, one has a UltraLight and loves it, another had a classic and it was a devil to get any decent groupings out of it, it went and he got a Sako 85, the other mate had a full length stock carbine, he had wanted one for years, he had so much trouble with it that in the end he would not sell it private and traded it for a Sako 75 finlight.

Then of cause there was the rumor about Mannlicher selling 5 millon pounds worth of 50 cal’ sniper rifles to the Iranian Republican Guard, the USA tried to block the export license, but the Germans got round it by saying they were for Police action only.

You try and find a bad thing said about a Sako.

ATB

Tahr
    I've got four Sako's and not one of them will make me a brew in the morning. JC

The wooden stocked Mannlichers are very nice rifles, they do not suffer from the stock problems that the pro-hunter are associated with. Would I buy one ahead of a Sako 85? Yes I might, I have done in the past.

In what world is the Mannlicher ugly? This one was the most consistently accurate rifle I have ever owned, or seen short of an F class or bench gun. Ugly it was not:
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

[QUOTE=Thar;148872][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3].....

QUOTE]

Tahr, that story has been comprehensively trashed. It was a load of balls.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......