NZ boar/deer

joelewis1971

Hi folks

I have just spoken to my brother in New Zealand who commented that the guy next door had dropped off some boar sausages for a bbq they were having. As he regularly shoots razorback boar just outside taupo in a national park

Anyone Know how hard it is to take your rifle over there, and go hunting with out using an outfitter/guide for the next time i go to visit him. Or is this a no go area

Cheers
Joe

Hi there
the chap you really want to speak with is NZhunter on this forum, really nice guy.
I have just got back from there and got a NZ Firearms permit at airport quite painlessly, take along $25 (approx ten quids) your UK FAC and pasport a small lecture about firearms safety and hey prestoyou have a one year visitors FAC
With this you can posess firearms, buy amo.. and wait for it buy any type of gun you want.. I have made friends with a local dealer who will store any gun I buy of him until I get back FOC, the NZ folk are great
Next time I go over I am buying myself a Ruger Mini 14 semi auto how cool is that :p

I know if you want import I was told by some of the guys on here to go direct or via LA with Quantas, not through any of the Far Eastern countries, I know Singapore will only carry firearms for competition not sporting or hunting, but told me they have a freight forwarder who will handle for a fee.. I didn't ask how much sorry

The country is stunning I am already plannng my return, hunting is awesome and mostly for free round Taupo, you get a permit from Dept of Conservation "DOC Lands", do not pay a guide they are stupidly expensive then take you onto free lands.. There are also some good private lands but all pricey .. well they were for me anyway
The other interesting thing I was told was that lots of the hunting guys round Taupo "stick " pigs", they hunt with dogs and knifes more than shoot them, sounded great fun, as I love dog hunting and it must be thrilling to hunt that way.
If you are going to March and Shoot or CLA I will show you where you can go as I brought back a shooting directory with maps and all permit offices.. If you want to call me PM I will send phone no. be more than happy to chat

Thanks legal

I will be going to CLA as it's just up the road a bit for me

Hope to see you there

I feel the need to go see my brother all of a sudden

Joe

Importing rifles here is as easy as you want to make it.
I made a mistake of trying to do it "properly" used a shop in the U.K who used a exporter.The local firearms officer told me to get them sent to him as would make life easier, I told the exporter, so he duly addressed them to me :confused:
I got email from exporter they due in local airpot on xmas day so I went to get them, no rifles, because they were addressed to me, customs kept them in Auckland, then sent them to Wellington, then sent them here, then the local customs had to get them cleared in Wellington !!!
I got them eventually,but was a tiny tiny bit miffed having to fork out over £1000.00 and not get them sent where I asked.
When customs and D.O.C (dept of conservation) came to the house to clear the container, wich took 15 mins and 3 cups of coffee, they were expecting the rifles in the container, they said its the best way to send them as they arrive to your door and are safe and customs clear them when they clear the container. and it only cost £1500 to get the container here .
The firearms licens is easy enough, sit in a room for 1/2 hour watch a video, answer the questions after and get your F.A.C in the post.
The bloke who checked my security is also the local photography and was no problems with him, even when he had a chat with Kim on her own to check if I was a nutter or not :confused:
As for hunting here, some of the guides here charge a fortune and there are good and bad ones, same as everywhere in the world.
I hunt on local D.O.C land costs me nothing.,and a mate got contacts in Fjordland so we off there nxt yr.

John what are your thoughts about hunting on DOC land? the impression I have got is anywhere close to a vehicle access point is shot out, any were near a good hut is shot out, you need to hike in to the back country for a couple of days to get to some worth while land or a chopper in (which costs).

I have heard of lads hunting DOC land for a year and never shooting a deer and remember these lads are on “if it’s brown it’s down policy” hinds, stags in velvet, calves are all fair game.

If somebody has local knowledge of were there are a few animals he will keep it close to his chest. If animal numbers get to good levels the DOC will 1080 them (poison) or send in the helicopter cullers.

The guilds can be expensive as these seem to angle towards fat yanks after big trophies. But there are other guilds if you know were to look.

Best rgds

Tahr

Hiya Thar,
I find the D.O.C. land no probems at all,I know some blokes do want to hike right up into the bush,good luck to them.
I have shot deer here, 5 mins from parking the vehicle, I think a lot of stalkers here expect to have to tramp a bit, so they just get on the path and go.
I`m bit slower, so when I out of the ute I`m in relaxed mode wtching and listening, not because I`m an avid super stalker, I love the scenery here and the quietness of the bush and 5 mins from my house I can be so remote.
I am getting to know more people and getting access to farmland bordering the bush thats alot more handy.and me and mates are going to hunt down in Fjordland next year, and been invited to hunt on a mates brothers farm in Aus, all I been told is there`s Water Buff, Roos, and foxes and rabbits and alot of pigs, so I got to take alot of ammo :p :p
choppers can be expensive, but sometimes you can get one to fly you in for a drink, BUT, A good mate of mine was a shooter on the choppers and he said some of the pilots are raving lunatics, very good pilots but mad as hatters and if you get one of those, and show a slightest sign of nerves, you will get the ride of your life :lol: :lol:
The thing I find very strange out here is that most of the people here will give you and or do you a favour jst because they can, not because they want $ or want something back.

Do you need to go into a ballot for Fjordland? I take it you are after Wapti? I would love to hunt there one day, my mate was going on a hunt to Stewart Island this year, but the day before he had to work (guild some Austrians) so that blow that trip. :cry:

May be it is look a lot and walk a little works everywhere. :D

I have had the pleasure of a ride with one of there chopper pilots in to the bush.

I agree with you about the Kiwis, always willing to give a hand if they can.
:D
Best rgds

Tahr

Hi John

Are you north or south ! My baby brother is up in hamilton and another brother is on the corramandel working on a friends farm , but he's realy into his fishing

Joe

Will try to go hunting next trip for sure now

I loved the place must admit I have really got the bug, if I didn't have such great commitments in Europe at the mo I reckon I could happily pack my bags and bugger off there 8)
Mind you the speed cops are a pain in the arse there are hardly any folk there in comparrison to here, yet you can only do 60mph and there is a cop with a radar gun round every corner :evil:

Joe I`m on the N Island. Tararua at the moment, but we just bought a 10 acre section in a place called Pohingina Valley, just waiting for the building permits now, got a letter from the council saying they received them and would have a reply within 20 days, and they were shocked as we had all the paperwork correct and ready for them, usualy they got to ask for something or get something else so it was Kim`s dept as she is good at all that stuff.
We looked at few places when we got here, but when we saw this, we just fell for it , the house gonna be built facing N, we will be able to sit on the deck and see Mount Ruapehu, to the north, the Ruahine Ranges to the right (about 1 km up the road) and the Pohingina valley to the left, veiws to die for,and not here a sound except birds,only about 7 houses on the road. and I can take the rifle for a walk up into the ranges any time :lol: And theres an Irish bar a few k`s down the road, run by a hunting and fishin Paddy, who serves grt Guinness :p
This is what we came out here for, a lifestyle, to work to live and not live to work.
Things are slowing down here a bit as we coming into a recession, cost of living has gone up ,fuels going up, diesel has gone up by 70cents a litre in the last year, and expecting it to go up again,so it`s not all rosy rosy, we work and we pay taxes etc, but thats the way it is.
We live on 1 wage since little one was born, and we not rich but hell, we think we got a far far better life than we had in U.K when we were both working and both earning good money.
Kiwis dont have grand flash houses, but they are homes, and they got a boat ,a ute and a quad and a rifle or 2. and I think every house in N.Z has a barbi !!!
Got friend who`s outlaws live in Hamilton, they keep their sailing boat on the Coramandel, the old man has just sailed it back from Aus, believe me it`s not your average dinghy :eek:
Yep there are traffic cops around, usually by towns, not like the U.K where they just turn up anywhere, and the cops here are grt.
When we come out here I was driving a truck and trailer at nights, got stopped by the same cop, 3 times in the same week doing over 100kms/hr, we just used to ahve a chat he`d hold me up for 15 mins then I`d be away :p
The Kiwis, DONT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT TRAFFIC JAMS :confused: :confused:
When I started the driving job, people always said "ohhhh you dont wanna be coming along Tremaine Ave @ 8am, the traffic isjust horrendous, hmmmmmm, I sometimes hit it at 8 and maybe got slowed down buy a few mins, nothing drastic.
I did try and tell them what it was like trying to get up/down the M6 or around the M25 or through London/Paris/Milan or Moscow, and they just can`t comprehend the volumn of traffic in Europe, so I gave up in the end :lol:
Now I`m a tpt manager for a civil engineering company, I moan like hell at the traffic on Tremaine Ave :evil:
If your out here Thar or Joe and your in this area let me know and come and say hello, we hope to move in the house by about Oct so will be a spare bed and a decent area to zero etc.
And if you do, load up with Old Holborn Tobacco,and that will secure any knowledge of the area I got, and a bottle of malt will mean Kim will cook you tea.
Legal, there are 4.2 million people here, and N.Z ia quarter size bigger than all of the U.K.
Off the top of my head I think the N Island is about 650kms long, and the South Island is about 950 long, but narrow, so no where in N.Z is more than 140 kms from the sea.
Sorry to ramble on a bit, but I jsut like to say it how it is, and my Grammars crap, but hell we like it here :D :D :D

Mate it sounds like you have what I hanker after myself
My cousin lives on the North Shore in Auckland and told me he loves it after living in South Korea it was a huge culture shock, and the money was far less than he had been used to, he was a Uni Professor and is now a school teacher, his wife is a little less happy as she is Korean and had to leave her country and family and friends behind.
The rising cost of living also has hit him hard as he is putting his wife through uni, but once she is qualified it should get better with two wages.
The mate I met up in Oz with b4 going to Auckland is a London train driver originally from NZ and he has been telling me for years about how great the country is, in fact we used take the mick as everything was compared with NZ unfavourably, so he got all the ribbing about why he lived in the UK.
Now I have actually been I see exactly why he is counting the days until he can take early retirement and go home 8)

Can I ask you about property, I was looking in Auckland and it appears to be falling, my cousin also said this was the case as he was waiting before he buys..
Also how is it hard to get planning if you buy a piece of land, I have some in the UK and am jumping through hoops to get anywhere.
If it gets sorted anytime soon before it's worth nothing..arghhh I may well sell it and buy a plot down under.

Will try and answer as truthfully as I see it here mate, If someone comes here looking through rose tinted glasses, they gonna have to wake up and smell the coffee.
The rising cost of living here, is a concern but it`s not hit us hard. we live ok, the wife is a stickler for healthy grub etc, )I was told a piece of fruit cake doesn`t count as one of the 5 a day :cry: ) and healthy food is dear in the supermarkets, you can buy 2 litres of coke for 99cents, and a yet milk is dearer than petrol (Fonterra THE nz dairy industry, supplies 60% of the WORLDS dairy products :eek: )
And bloody lamb is about the dearest meat in the shops too, I buy mine off a mate $40 each cut up ready for the freezer.
Auckland is expensive and the Kiwis I have met try not to go there.
Also if your emigrating here, you get less points if you got a job in Auckland.
Property prices are not rising like they have been, same as everywhere, prices go up and up and up, then some people catch colds with mortgages etc, and prices slow down or stagnate, and then maybe drop
Same things happened here, quiet a few mortgagee sales here now, for example, I was talking to an agent on the weekend, on his books he`s got a 4 bed house with 50 acres with a river running through it,stunning place, I did a drive by, veiwing that is, no rifles involved, and they didn`t get a bid @ auction, and he offered it to me for nz$200,000, and I reckon he would take a bid on that to move it.
I was always told,(in the U.K this is ) if your sensible you can`t lose money on land, as they aren`t making any more land.
I had 20 acres in the U,K and fought the planners for 7/8 yrs, even John Prescott got involved and wanted it to go ahead, but the local planners were complete and utter @@+_@?:mad:~+>{~
?:mad:}:mad:.... I will leave that to your imagination what I thought of them !and would not pass it, so I sold it. with clauses in the agreements.
Ok some idiots want a paddock for their ponies and they will pay a fortune for it, now these people aren`t fools, they are sensible,, (I just sold my 20 acres in blocks in the U.K to such people ) ;) ;)
Over here, you buy your land, apply to council for buildig permits,and just get on with it.
need permit for a wood burner,don`t ask me why on that 1.
In the area we building, we can`t build within 250 metres of neighbour,which I like so no overcrowding.
We just did as they wanted, and hopefully, it will all be ok,in a way I think because we are new to their planning ways, we were better off, as we did everything 100% and didnt try and pull a fast one or anything.
TO do in the U.K what we are doing over here, we would have to have sold the 20 acres in Glos, and to build on our land in Herefordshire, we would have still wanted a hefty mortgage, and I`d prob still be working 24/7,is that a way of life??

From John.D.M, NZ info/tourism office, etc etc etc

John,

It's great to hear that NZ is treating you so well, and I hope that the little DM is doing well. I'm afraid to come over because if I do I don't think I'll want to come back as I like trout fishing as well as stalking.

Regards to Kim.

paul k said:
John,

It's great to hear that NZ is treating you so well, and I hope that the little DM is doing well. I'm afraid to come over because if I do I don't think I'll want to come back as I like trout fishing as well as stalking.

Regards to Kim.
my mate went there for a fortnight, came back and told me , he had already put a deposit on a house and land on south island , just outside of greymouth , put put his house in didsbury (manchester) up for sale and off he went never looked back since
he now does more hunting and fishing than he ever could of dreamed of while living in the uk ,
jammy beggar , just had the gumption to get up and go, god bless him

John

I must admit i was smitten when i was last there with my little bro and his wife and kids

I have talked long and hard to wife about coming out there for good ,and it's funny how much of what you went there for is what we aspire to do eventually. And your post has kept the fire burning so to speak thanks for that
My bro is a welder by trade so if you need anything for your new place drop me a pm and i'll pass on his details or check out his web site "total fusion welding nz" keep living the dream and don't be surprised if another Cherry & White moves to NZ

Thanks for your post

Joe

Back