Lease/Deer Management

Gazza

I know that many on here are members of syndicates whereby somebody has taken on a lease or in some cases several leases and then farmed out membership to rifles. In some of these syndicates, the members stay no where near the lease, the members may or may not know each other and there probably is no management plan. My question is – Is this good for deer welfare, management and the economic value of stalking?

I am not a fan of these types of syndicates basically because invariably there is no management plan. I have heard it all too often – “if I see it I shoot it cause if I don’t somebody else will.” Does this thinking reduce or have no consideration for the health, welfare and future of the resident deer?

Should lease holders also be held responsible for deer management on the lease and to secure its future value as a stalking interest? Should their ability to do so be more important than what they can offer financially for the lease? Should a comprehensive management plan for the lease be part of a submission for the lease?

Most leases are for one year with the possibility of further years. Should leases be for a minimum of say 5 years so that it would be in the interest of the lease holder to maintain the lease value.

Not having a go at anybody who operates syndicates or are members, just wondering what opinion is?

You might find that the lease holder sets the cull target for Species/sex on the ground. Cull records are kept for record keeping, observed impact on the ground throughout that year would indicate whether you would need to cull more or less.

Just because the people don't know each other, doesn't mean that the lease holder doesn't communicate with each individual in the syndicate, also tennant farmers, woodland workers ground managers of whatever nature can also pass on valuable information towards cull requirments, if they are seeing more/less deer and or deer damage can influence the cull requirments for that lease.

TJ

I suspect occasionally these type of leases achieve and even go over the target cull, but most are from forestry companies whose target (management plan) is to reduce deer numbers. That people don’t know each other shouldn’t be a problem, what often happens is that some pay to join and seldom turn up.

In some cases the management plan for the crop(usually trees) may require a zero tolerance of deer. In which case shoot on sight in season in daylight may be an acceptable policy. The lease holders who I know up here have cull targets set by land agents/managers, there are usually penalty clauses written in regarding numbers to be taken and the option for the owners/agents to make good any deficits. Few lets in commercial forestry will be upset by too many deer taken.
In established native woodland the owners will certainly take a greater interest in the management of a population and are unlikely to permit cowboy managers to ply their trade for too long.

I think the worst type of syndicate is where the lease holder has a number of guns signed to the syndicate but they in turn are also allowed to advertise and take out other folk aswell..

Great way to possibly help with your syndicate fees but also a great way to ensure you have some unhappy syndicate members and or folk turning up just to find themselves on a long walk without seeing a deer..

I think the amount of people advertising stalking on ground that is shot out or way too small to sustain constant stalking is on the increase and for me thats just blatant fraud..

Terry, I can see the difference in what you are describing, & what the others have spoken about, it's all down to the type of person that is named as principle on the lease hold, if they are operating as a genuine type of guy, then I would say it's O.K. , but I get the feeling you are leaning towards describing the " make a quick few quid type", if that's the case then , No I would say it's a really bad situation. I have seen instances of this myself, even as a recreational stalker.

I personally see a huge divide in deer control and deer management. The former simply keeping numbers down or eradicating entirely to protect a crop.

I agree with those comments regarding the lack of management when several individuals all stalk a piece of ground, with a guaranteed different opinion on what should be shot for management purposes. Indeed some of those on the syndicate may not even be aware of management principals.

I would guess that where leases are made available and cull targets are set, they are done so with a simple 'numbers' attitude with very little thought given to the benefit of those surviving animals and the improvement of that population. When a cull target states 30 does and 15 bucks surely we are all agreed that within that target some individual animals are more appropriately shot than others based on a management approach. That can only be determined by one or perhaps at a push two like minded stalkers who spend time on their ground establishing what is there, what is good quality and what needs culled. A group of individuals turning up on their allocated dates and shooting what they see cannot possibly 'manage' deer for their improvement.

I don't have a problem with either approach having done both. I think that where a lease of this described type is available, it is likely to simply refer to a numbers game. I am fortunate to have been given several areas of ground over the years to manage at my discretion. With no other person stalking there the land owners did not even ask for a management plan. It is all at my own discretion. That is an ideal world and totally stress free:)

I have also been given cull targets which stated numbers of Sika/Roe, Male/Female and Immature. Nowhere was it mentioned that consideration should be given to quality. That I suppose could work in a large syndicate.

Last edited:
If its F.C. land they give you the cull figures and if the members dont meet the cull then the ranger will, usually by lamp :!:

+1 to Jamross65's post

Last edited:
If its F.C. land they give you the cull figures and if the members dont meet the cull then the ranger will, usually by lamp :!:

+1 to Jamross65's post

That is another very good point actually and also illustrates the numbers game well, as no F.C. stalker will waste their time, fuel and money looking for animals to fit into the management plan. At least not in my experience anyway.

I understand that this can be a minefield and you guys seem to have experience of syndicates. What would you recommend to someone like myself looking to start a syndicate kind of set up ? Supposing an area of land had been offered and there were no specific cull targets, bearing in mind that sustainability is the only way to ensure members retain anything worthwhile for the future.

I understand that this can be a minefield and you guys seem to have experience of syndicates. What would you recommend to someone like myself looking to start a syndicate kind of set up ? Supposing an area of land had been offered and there were no specific cull targets, bearing in mind that sustainability is the only way to ensure members retain anything worthwhile for the future.

Then you have a responsibility to set the standard required, talk to the owner/agent and discuss the census and cull targets. Keeping records will ensure that you appear professional and are serious about your interest. You can select some good friends and get them all to agree what is needed, larder records, photos etc. Then you need to be ready to visit unnanounced should you feel uneasy about some of the members, be prepared to put trail cams in. be honest with the lads, I have had a stalker removed from a sole lease for not filling in a larder return, DSC2 holder as well.

As suggested above, I would first ensure that it is clear what the landowner expects on your (or the syndicates) part. Being left alone to 'manage' deer now seems to be less common with specific numbers now being sought. However, I have personally yet to come across someone who has simply said to me 'wipe them out'!
Therefore, perhaps you need to acquaint yourself with the ground and establish what is an appropriate number of deer to be shot out of the estimated head of population. It may then be feasible to offer interested parties a place on the syndicate with a set number of deer they can shoot each per annum. If individuals don't make the effort to attend it could be written into the rules and regulations that their shortfall in numbers will be offered over to other members to make up before the end of the season. You must be specific in that case with the cut off dates for their returns. A bit like the mention earlier of FC stalkers coming in to complete cull targets should they be short. I personally think these things work better if those involved are a group of close friends as opposed to strangers who may be distrustful of the others in the syndicate or even the lease holder:-|;)

Back