Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone started on the pheasants yet

anyone started on the pheasants yet

we had our first day no the pheasants today.
    boy was it warm, 1st nov beating in shirt sleeves.
    the birds struggled to get high, 60% low fliers and they seem to be slow in
    maturing. probably due to the warm summer we had, and it was my best year
    in rearing poults. nowhere near the amount i would usually lose with the wet summers
    in the past. hope it gets colder or it could be a poor season.
    good luck to all this season!!

We started last month, slowly at first but we had the birds earlier this year. just a problem with poaching at the moment!

Our first day Saturday just gone & as keeperstweed says a lot of very low birds, very lethargic & our cocks this year have not developed their tails as much as previous seasons even though we buy in & release 8 week old poults at much the same time each season.

Cheers
    Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rob View Post
    Our first day Saturday just gone & as keeperstweed says a lot of very low birds, very lethargic & our cocks this year have not developed their tails as much as previous seasons even though we buy in & release 8 week old poults at much the same time each season.

Cheers
    Chris
    very much the same up here..very lethargic/low flyer's,and cocks underdeveloped,i never thought about it until reading thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	mobile 008.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	3241first cock bird from the start of this season compared toClick image for larger version. 

Name:	new 002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	462.9 KB 
ID:	3242
    first bird of last seasons!

You can't expect too much from early birds especially if they have not been regularly dogged in and not used to being chased into flight. Give them a couple of days being shot at. I bought all my birds from the one source and were all between 7 and 8 weeks. Some are fully tailed and in excellent condition whereas others could do with another few weeks to condition up. Early days I ask the guns to be very selective in what they shoot.

We had our first day on Saturday. Much the same as everyone else is reporting, the phezzies were very low fliers, the low bright sun not helping, and my best partridge drive was ruined by a dog fox going through it early on, but we were saved by some spectacular duck drives. The students did very well, give it another day or two and the pheasants will be up to par I'm sure.

gazza, i take on board what you are saying.
    the birds have been dogged in and can fly well when need to!
    been on this shoot for 10 yrs and try, to keep to the same practice each year.
    a few shoots in n.hants area have put back there shoot days for 2 weeks, as birds seem
    underdeveloped this year! is it the so called global warming!!!!
    regards mark.

Just a quick calculation - my birds are now 22 (ish) weeks old but as said some cock birds could do with another couple of weeks or so although their body weights are good. Hen birds have done very well indeed and most are in excellent condition.
    As long as the wet weather is not prolonged and it does not go cold I am of the opinion that a bit of rain helps feather the birds up and is beneficial. I can see your thinking as keeping to the same practices every year but you have to accept that we are dealing with keepered wild birds that can upset the norm even if you do exactly the same each year. If my birds were not just ready and needed a bit more time I would also be asking to cancel a few days. Keepers and guns want the same thing - sporting birds.

We had our first day on Saturday.
    Pherasants have been dogged in (with dogs and flags) since back in mid august and have held very well in our early drives.
    As with most shoots, we have far more challenging birds with a bit of wind to give them height and curl. Saturday had 35mph wind and horizontal hail for a good part of the day!
    Testing birds, fathers and sons day, and off to a flying start to the season
    Partridges flew very well, but I was careful not to drive them too much in the wet, especially as we lost close to half of them early on in September with Hexamita

we had our first day on saturday, only 41 head, mainly partridge,

had an invite yesterday a 150 bird day, (actually 154 and counting) on one drive I had 13 shots for 9 birds, it cannot last